latest texas instruments very high end stuff
Apr 26, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 12
wow the specs looks great, this all with just 15mA per channel!

how is it related to dsd?? the ultimate in dsd would be to have power dac, eliminating all analog stuff..

Apr 26, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Digi-Key, though not indicating stock of this new part, shows a per piece price of $4.28. (Though at 15mA, it doesn't seem like "pure class A".)

Noise is the only spec that I'm aware that discrete technology betters integrated technology. Again, in both cases it is likely inaudible anyway. And I base my understanding of this using Borbely's numbers... I hope to get time to find calibrated equipment to measure my amp (may build something in the interim...). And the thing about noise (v. THD profiles) is there is agreement that it should be low...

JF

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 12
I saw this last week in the briefing and gave it a pretty good lookover. Seems like a pretty slick chip. 750mA of current to the headphones is pretty impressive. I'm curious to see how it sounds myself.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
wow the specs looks great, this all with just 15mA per channel!

how is it related to dsd?? the ultimate in dsd would be to have power dac, eliminating all analog stuff..

The differential inputs should make this pretty close to what you're saying. I'm guessing because of power requirements you wouldn't want them on the same chip as you suggest.

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Interesting, I'll have to try this. It doesn't have anything to do with DSD per se, it's just the sample schematics using DSD DAC. Soldering the pad beneath the chip is another matter though. My only worry is that in my experience current feedback amps, while providing unequalled bass, lack detail and transparency and always sound veiled.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
Interesting, I'll have to try this. It doesn't have anything to do with DSD per se, it's just the sample schematics using DSD DAC. Soldering the pad beneath the chip is another matter though.

Dead bug construction or a toaster oven?

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 12
I actually just thought of another idea - you can design board with a large enough hole in the center of the pad so that you can put the tip of your iron through to the other side and solder it like that. It'd still be tricky but I believe it may be possible. Otherwise, toaster oven would be a good choice but that's a lot of hassle if you live in an apartment and don't have a workshop.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 12
What i'm planning on doing is using thermal epoxy to attach the chips
to heat sinks, then bend up the pins a little and use some ultra thin
teflon circuit board to attach to the pins.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 12
How about starting a new project based on this chip with a DAC and sp/dif and USB connections. Maybe also using OPA627's.

It would be fun to se how it would compare to the more hi-end PPA.

Yes, there might be some problems soldering it to the pcb, but I think BrownDog has some adapters....

Hope there are some more people than me that are interested in this...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back