last straw with EMI
May 29, 2006 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nph134

Head-Fier
Right that's it I've decided never to buy another classical recording under the EMI label. Almost every one I have is a disappointment.

Most recent was a recording of the Four Seasons with St Luke's Chamber and Kyung-Wha Chung. Sounds like a winner and got really good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...328644-7731024

The playing is great but the recording really spoils it, was so disappointed. The harpsicord is messed up on almost all tracks. It is 90% through one channel and just a weird clipped blippy noise through the other channel. Also some of the solos sound like they have been pasted in by a child with only a volume control on the mixing desk.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with EMI? Maybe I've just been unlucky or something...

May 29, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Is this a re-issue? There's always been a lot of complaints about EMI. It seems every time the re-issue something, it sounds worse than the prior version. This is especially true of Maria Callas recordings.

May 29, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Weird. Every record company has a few lemons, but I seem to have a bunch of great-sounding EMI Classics records. They're not the best, but they're usually quite reliable.

May 30, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Not too much experience with newest EMI recordings, but older reissues on the EMI GROTC (great recordings of the century) series have been very good and much improved over previous versions.........good example of this is the Klemperer/EMI GROTC Mahler 2nd, nice improvement across the board, I have a ton of the GROTC series.

That would be very irritating to have a 4 Seasons with "mono" sounding Harpsicord continuo

If you want some fabulous sounding Vivaldi check out Opus 111 and Naive labels which feature conductors like Biondi, Alessandrini, Savall etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back