Last check: Schiit Modi + Magni for Beyer DT990 600 ohms or...?
Jul 6, 2013 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
Just purchased pair of Beyerdynamics DT990 600 ohms on a whim so am looking for an amp. The source will mostly be a computer with onboard sound, which sadly I can't really comment on the quality of because my Grados SR80s are out of commission from foam disintegration and my Sony V6s are at work, other headphones are not even worth mentioning... Motherboard is MSI Z77A-G43 which uses Realtek ALC892 chipset, which according to a quick search is "much worst than an Asus Xonar DG sound card ($25)". :frowning2:

So... 600 ohms brings us to a headphone amp, which I'd definitely like to be cheap, Magni at 100$ seems to fit the bill, but the 34$ of shipping to Canada hurts... In my quest of saving money, I noticed adding a 2nd item to a Schiit order only added 5$ to shipping costs which somewhat improves the value of shipping, and I could effectively bypass the on-board by getting the Shiit Modi DAC. Although I'm a bit worried that the DAC might not be necessary, listening to some flacs right now on Sony MDR-EX300 in ears, and it definitely does not sound bad... But that's not to say that it wouldn't sound better with the Magi amp, and then that the DAC would not again improve sound... :p

Originally, I was thinking of just getting a chinese ebay amp, but Magi seems like a good choice. So... Any advice before I make the jump? Thanks! :etysmile:

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah that's a good point though, I'll definitely have to consider this! Anymore advice? :wink:

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 4
you can get a fiio e10 amp/dac for pretty cheap from Canada Computers. i really like mine. i don't know how well it can drive 600 ohm headphones but it might be worthwhile to try seeing as how it will be 1/4 the price of the Schiit combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back