Largest and thickest silicon tip fitting IE8/TF10 and mods
Jan 8, 2009 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kaushama

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a large ear canal and always have problems in getting the seal with these universal IEMs. For my TF10 I use UE large silicon tip stuffed with shure olive core. None of the tips with IE8 fits me except for large dual flange. With it I get fairly good seal but when I move my head down it breaks. I am using the UE tip for IE8 and it gives a good seal though it does not go into canal as far as TF10 does.
For W3 I couldn't get a seal even with large shure olives. But the clear large silicon gives me a fantastic seal.
But as it doesn't go into deep part of canals W3 gives me horrible sibilance.

Anyway I am searching for the best largest silicon tip fitting the TF10 or IE8 barrel. Please help me with your valuable experiances.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 14
Well I have modded the Senn IE8 double Flange. I de-cored Used comply foamy and cut it in half-way across its trunk. Distal rounded end went into cushion the distal flap of dual flange. The other part cushioned the base flap.
The result wonderful isolation and seal! More bass and treble response is much improved. I will post pics in a while.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 14
Mods.jpg

I have done several mods with large silicon tips. Many of them are posted before.

I have stuffed the large sillicon with
  • Comply foam core
  • Blue-tack
  • Shure olive core

I have modded double flange with half cut Comply foam core. It gives me wonderful isolation on par with TF10. Very tight bass and more refined highs.

Out of the mods of silicon tips, Blue-tack stuffing is most uncomfortable due to hardness. Best SQ and comfort is achieved with shure olive core.

My next exercise would be to mod double flange with half-cut Shure olive core as I did with comply core.

I will post the comparison of sound quality, comfort and SQ later, after I listen more.

Opinions are welcome!

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 14
I settled for the best combination now. I stuffed the end part of dual flange with a Shure olive foam tip cut to fit it. The base part was stuffed with a comply foam ring.

Now the isolation is fantastic. Almost on par with my TF10 may be even better.

As for sound quality the bass is very tight. highs are not harsh as before. There was some harshness in upper mids and highs before. Not always but with sometimes. Now its gone.

I am happy. This solves my problems with IE8 eartips!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

mods2.jpg

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 14
BWAHAHAHAHAAH.....dude, how do you fit those things in your ears!?!?!

I have the some of the smallest ear canals. Small silicon tips are almost too big for me. And yes, I'm a full grown man.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 14
Wow, how big are your ears if the largest bi-flange tips fit in there? I can only wear medium tips to get a good seal. The large ones do not sound as good, since they don't seal deep enough in my ear. Plus, I see all that foam in there, are they comfortable? I've tried the "stuffing silicon with foam" trick and the end result was less comfortable. My silicon tips felt like foam tips.
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Tip-81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BWAHAHAHAHAAH.....dude, how do you fit those things in your ears!?!?!

I have the some of the smallest ear canals. Small silicon tips are almost too big for me. And yes, I'm a full grown man.

Thats why; I am one of those morons, who can fit TF10, an IEM designed for demons!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Great idea. I recently bought some IE8s and also found the Sennheiser bi-flange tips to be the only ones that fit well. I also got some Comply T-400s but they're too small to seal well. I've done this mod except with full decored T-400s between each flange and will test it out during my next flight.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks, gonna try this.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Great tips! I also have very large ear canals and seal is hard sometimes. I fitted large Shure soft silicone tips modded with extruded Shure foams on my IE8, perfect!

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 14
I received a pack of Monster Supertips yesterday. The large size tips are insanely large - about 25% large than the largest Sony Hybrids. Because they are either filled with foam or gel, they tend not to squash down either. I can't imagine how they could fit anyone's ears (I can only use the small sizes it seems) but I think people with large canals might find them pretty sweet!

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I received a pack of Monster Supertips yesterday. The large size tips are insanely large - about 25% large than the largest Sony Hybrids. Because they are either filled with foam or gel, they tend not to squash down either. I can't imagine how they could fit anyone's ears (I can only use the small sizes it seems) but I think people with large canals might find them pretty sweet!

Are these the Monster "foam" Supertips?  How much $$ where they?  Link please ...  TIA !!

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I settled for the best combination now. I stuffed the end part of dual flange with a Shure olive foam tip cut to fit it. The base part was stuffed with a comply foam ring.

Now the isolation is fantastic. Almost on par with my TF10 may be even better.

As for sound quality the bass is very tight. highs are not harsh as before. There was some harshness in upper mids and highs before. Not always but with sometimes. Now its gone.

I am happy. This solves my problems with IE8 eartips!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

mods2.jpg

Would this only work when the IEM nozzle is long enough to extend almost to the tip of the inner (smaller) flange?  Otherwise it would seem like there would be little or no support for this inner flange and it might have a tendency to bend or fold and possibly block the sound or otherwise be detrimental to SQ.  Has anyone tried this on the short nozzle of the Panasonic HJE900's?

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back