Laptop that won't die in 5 years
Jun 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #46 of 56
Its actually a crap shoot. Even if the hardware manufacturer is solid, lenovo, dell, hp, apple, etc, You still might end up with a system with a bad chip or two that might give you problems. Although someone says they have a dell or something for 5 years strong doesn't mean yours will. Maybe the model they got was good, maybe it was just luck.

Go with a brand that has a good warranty. Maybe even spring for an extended warranty.

By the way, pretty much any pc will work with linux.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I must comment that Apple products in general seem to be the shortest lived, partially because of longevity issues and partially because they are replaced very quickly and the user is constantly encouraged to get the "newest" model.

Apples actually have a resale value - Many people use older machines, and some hopeless diehards are still using ppc machines. I've never had an apple laptop die - they were all sold for cash, and far more cash than a 4-6 year old laptop would normally be worth.

That said, I think that user treatment is the biggest factor, and apples are just as likely to be owned by idiots that stack books on top of their laptop as anyone else.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apples actually have a resale value - Many people use older machines, and some hopeless diehards are still using ppc machines. I've never had an apple laptop die - they were all sold for cash, and far more cash than a 4-6 year old laptop would normally be worth.

That said, I think that user treatment is the biggest factor, and apples are just as likely to be owned by idiots that stack books on top of their laptop as anyone else.

Yep

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #49 of 56
One more vote for Lenovo. Not only are they built well (I'm speaking of my experience with the T60 series here), but they have the best keyboards. All laptop keyboards are hateful to those of us who love buckling-spring keyboards, but the IBM/Lenovos are the least hateful. I have no experience with anything built in the last 18 months, though.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 56
I have to say as a constant replacer of Apples that in comparison with other similarly priced laptops from premium lines of non-Apple makers, the level of depreciation is pretty much the same as any other machine. The resale thing is a myth, like many things ascribed to Apple hardware. It's worth bearing in mind that the vulnerability of Apples to very noticeable cosmetic damage means that unless the machine is babied, you may prejudice your resale value even more than a slightly cheaper Windows PC... especially if you actually use it like a normal machine.

Whether it gets babied is another matter entirely. Many people do seem to acquire computer-babying skills after they buy an Apple. Many also seem to betray the reduction in reasoning skills after being inducted into the Apple Cult while patting themselves on the back but that's something else.

I'd say along with Lenovo's T and X lines, Dell's Latitude and Precision lines are, as well as HP's Elitebooks, equally viable options for very long-lived machines. All of them feature conservative design, conservative build quality with no envelope-pushing for 'sex factor'... and long standard warranties. It's true that no machine is built like flagship notebooks used to be, but the above are probably the closest you'll get.

If you are of the reasonably (but not to Apple level) babying persuasion, then you might like to consider Sony's top tiers. They're still made in Japan and quality is high. However Sony do probably push engineering envelopes more than anyone else (and the fact that they're made in Japan is part of what allows them to do so without Apple's 'Rev.A, B and occasionally C issues'), and support does leave a lot to be desired on the rare occasions they do go wrong... so there's still an element of risk.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #51 of 56
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Thinkpad die. I've got 3 Pentium II T20s that must be nearing a decade old, all still running great. I've got an X200 Tablet, but that's less than a year old so it doesn't count. I've had several friends with T and X series dating back 5-7 years with no issues.

Dell's business lines aren't bad either. I've seen some Insprions last and some die, but the Latitudes I've seen keep going forever. My brother's using a D610 and loving it; I got my D620 used, have beat the crap out of it, but it still runs great.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #52 of 56
Yeah, my dad has a D620, and it's actually a fairly nice laptop. My complaint about the Dells is that their trackpoints and keyboards are just simply nowhere near IBM's quality. The trackpoints are the main difference. I exclusively use them now as I find them considerably more precise and fast than touchpads (I beat Half-Life 2 on hard using a trackpoint, while on a coach bus), and I've never found any that match IBM's.

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

(I beat Half-Life 2 on hard using a trackpoint, while on a coach bus), and I've never found any that match IBM's.

I'm also guilty of playing games with the trackpoint. It's actually pretty good but I'll still grab a mouse if there's room for it. I've never used the touchpad so I can't say if it's good although I'm sure it probably is.

I'd say that the trackpoint is a very major reason I went with another Lenovo for my new laptop.

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

I bought a ridiculous T60 from my school whe sn I came to college three years ago, and this thing still runs really, really well, has had zero hardware problems, and with a simple hard drive upgrade, is nearly as fast as a brand new computer. You get what you pay for. My computer was $1800, but it came with a three year warranty (not needed at all, it turns out), a 128 MB graphics card, the best processor at the time (2.0 Ghz. dual-core), and as a result, this is still a really well spec'd computer to this day, and it's in fantastic shape thanks to the legendary Thinkpad durability which continues to this day, I'm sure, regardless of the Lenovo ownership.

If you want a no-nonsense regular laptop, spend the money and buy a somewhat maxed out Thinkpad T series with a 7200 rpm hard drive and discrete graphics. You just can't go wrong. I've watched my colleagues' computers of all makes and brands die while my laptop istill pristine and still gets compliments for being fast. It's because I've made a couple minor upgrades (doubled the RAM and bought a larger 7200 rpm hard drive, which is way, way faster) and kept my operating system refreshed and in good shape (I reinstall once a year whether it needs it or not).

Also, I must comment that Apple products in general seem to be the shortest lived, partially because of longevity issues and partially because they are replaced very quickly and the user is constantly encouraged to get the "newest" model.

Oh, and when it comes to heat, it's down to design. My laptop is much more powerful than most of my peers, and even with discrete graphics, it runs much, much cooler, and much, much quieter than any other laptop of this era that I've come across. The newest ones run even cooler. Heat issues are generally a thing of the past. If you see a modern laptop with reviews remarking about heat issues, you ought to avoid them like the plague.

do you have the 15in model with Flexview?

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

(I beat Half-Life 2 on hard using a trackpoint, while on a coach bus)

Wow. With dexterity like that, your partner must be one happy bunny
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back