Laptop speaker advice
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

heem1911

New Head-Fier
I just started working from home so I think it is time to get some quality speakers.  I've been looking at 3 speakers so far.  The Emotiva Airmotiv 5 (which aren't currently available) or the 4's might do, Vanatoo Transparent One and the Audioengine A5+.  For a dac I currently have a FiiO E07K.  I listen to Hip-Hop, EDM and R&B in that order mostly.  I mix in some jazz and classical occasionally.  I'm leaning towards the Vanatoo and Audioengine since a sub can be added easier down the road if needed.  I enjoy bass but not over crisp and clear highs and mids.  I'm a little confused about the Vanatoo's though, do they need a dac or is there something internal in them?  Does anyone have any opinions on these or other suggestions?  I'm looking to stay around $500.  thanks

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm a little confused about the Vanatoo's though, do they need a dac or is there something internal in them?  Does anyone have any opinions on these or other suggestions? 

That's the thing that is interesting about them. They use a Class D digital amplifier. So if you input a digital signal to them, it doesn't need to be converted to analog before being amplified. Haven't heard them, though.

If you are going to add a subwoofer, the Airmotiv 4s would do quite well. I've heard them, and they definitely are a great buy at their price.

I enjoy bass but not over crisp and clear highs and mids. 

Curious what you mean by that regarding the mids and highs. Are you saying you don't want them too forward or too bright? I would think most people would want clarity from the mids and highs. And if you want the best bass, then you either should go big in main driver size and/or a sub. A big driver can typically help with better midbass. Although usually a sub is the best choice if you want good sub bass, because it's harder to design a driver/speaker than can handle the mids, midbass, and subbass. A good sub will always do better at the low end.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 9
If I got the Emotiv's I would need something in addition to the USB dac correct since there is no sub output on them correct?  About the mids and highs, I was just saying I wouldn't want them drowned out by the bass.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 9
If I got the Emotiv's I would need something in addition to the USB dac correct since there is no sub output on them correct?  About the mids and highs, I was just saying I wouldn't want them drowned out by the bass.

Sorry. I was confused by what you meant by the mids and highs and bass. Sounds like the Emotivas would be a good choice for you.

I have an SVS SB-1000 in my desktop computer setup. It has RCA inputs and outputs with an 80hz high pass filter on the outputs. So I run audio to my sub, then to my speaker amp and set the crossover on the sub to 80hz.

Otherwise, as long as you have a sub that has left/right RCA inputs, you can split the audio and send it to both the speakers and sub.

As for a DAC, depending on the audio quality coming from your computer, you might want a separate DAC.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Not looking to spend that much on a sub.  None of the ones I was looking at had rca outs for the speakers.  I was looking at the Polk PWS10.  I wasn't planning on adding a sub until down the road also.  If I don't want the sub right away the Vanatoo's seem to be the better option.  From reviews I might not actually need a sub.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Polk PSW10? Meh. Gotta remember that when you buy a sub, you are paying for a very big driver, very big enclosure, an amplifier, and cost of shipping the whole thing is built into the price. You aren't looking at $100 speakers, so why would you think a $100 sub would give you good quality?

But yeah. If you aren't planning on listening to music with a little of sub bass (e.g., EDM, hip, reggae), and you don't want to spend the money on a decent sub, it would be better to get speakers with a larger driver that have good, say, 50hz or lower extension.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm hoping the Vanatoo's or Airmotiv 5's if they ever become available would satisfy my bass needs.  If not, i can get a sub later.  I might feel like stretching the budget to around $200 but I doubt that I would have it on enough to justify the cost.  The wife is also pregnant so there will be a baby around soon so i realistically wouldn't get a sub until the middle of next year.  I just want to get some speakers that will make it easy to add it on later. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm hoping the Vanatoo's or Airmotiv 5's if they ever become available would satisfy my bass needs.  If not, i can get a sub later.  I might feel like stretching the budget to around $200 but I doubt that I would have it on enough to justify the cost.

I had a cheaper sub before the SB-1000, and ended up not using. It just didn't add enough, both in sound quality and the fact that it didn't have the 80hz high pass filter option. So basically it was rarely turning on out of auto mode because most music didn't kick in bass around 50hz where I had it set to match the rolloff of the speakers. And then the sound quality made it stand out more than it should instead of blending in well.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the Vanatoos. Nothing beats a sub but these are quite satisfying on the low end. It has made me quit thinking of adding a sub for now until I have the spare change for something like the SVS-1000.  I really like the way these speakers sound connected to my Asus STX (coax). FOr example Daft Punk's latest sounds fantastic as well as a lot of other bass heavy artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back