Laptop for Audio (PC's only)
Sep 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DotChannel

Head-Fier
Hello all, I am looking for a laptop with fantastic audio capabilities. I have been looking into audio production laptops, assuming that those would have the best audio. Currently I'm looking at ADK Pro Audio http://adkproaudio.com/laptop3.asp. I'm not sure what to look for.

And no, I do not want a Mac, I want a whole computer thank you.

I want my computer to encode my audio near perfectly, have an i7 processor, lots of RAM for FLAC files, a large sized screen (16"-17" or 18" would be amazing), a great graphics card, etc.

Additionally, I plan on installing Tiny Core Linux as my OS, and maybe Windows 7 Professional at the same time.

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 10
DotChannel
Little misunderstanding at your side I’m afraid.
If you look at ADK Pro Audio you won’t find a single word about the on-board audio.
Small wonder, pros use outboard A/D/A converters, never the on-board audio.
That’s why they also offer Firewire, a popular protocol in the pro-world.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions. I knew I needed a DAC/AMP for my laptop. I was just thinking that maybe my laptop should be ahead of itself already before I hook up those sort of things. Or does it not really matter? I just want the best sound quality.

Do you think one of those build-your-own computer companies I should go with? Like iBUYPOWER?

I'm also going to use my computer for lossless video watching, and graphic design.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 10
honestly as long as it comes with USB ports or a s/pdif your good to go.  Like said above i would worry about your hardware choices if you want a computer that can game.

Ive owned 2 computers by this company and they do laptops check them out.  www.digitalstormonline.com

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I knew I needed a DAC/AMP for my laptop. I was just thinking that maybe my laptop should be ahead of itself already before I hook up those sort of things. Or does it not really matter? I just want the best sound quality.

Do you think one of those build-your-own computer companies I should go with? Like iBUYPOWER?

I'm also going to use my computer for lossless video watching, and graphic design.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Well if i were in the market for an awesome FLAC/Movies rig DIY would be where it's @ hehe I would look at custom casing and more importantly more towards silent fans, cooling, etc 

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 10
I take it you're thinking of tiny core because you want a minimal system?  If so, I suspect that's the wrong way to go about it.  TC seems to me more of a novelty than a daily-use distro, and the relatively small user base and repos will limit you if you need support or when you're looking for software.  Arch or even an Ubuntu minimal install will give you just as much control of the system, plus many more options.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I take it you're thinking of tiny core because you want a minimal system?  If so, I suspect that's the wrong way to go about it.  TC seems to me more of a novelty than a daily-use distro, and the relatively small user base and repos will limit you if you need support or when you're looking for software.  Arch or even an Ubuntu minimal install will give you just as much control of the system, plus many more options.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I want a very minimal system all right. :) What do you think of CRUX? I was thinking of using that as an alternative to TCL.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 10
CRUX looks very cool, though I've never got round to trying it.  My concerns would be firstly the shortage of binary ports (you may not be installing many packages, but compiling even icecat takes hours for me in Arch), and secondly the small user base.  Even if one knows what one's doing, questions do come up every so often, and with the smaller distros there's less likely to be someone there to talk them over with in my experience.  CRUX's users might make up in activity what they lack in numbers though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back