Laptop as source????
Jan 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Get_Zwole

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pretty nice Dell xps 410 desktop for home. I have latency problems so dont listen to it as a source as i havent gotten down to the problem yet. When im out of town etc my iphone and ipod lack a little. so i wouldnt mind having one anyways and it will give me a great source for home and away. Mainly ill be using for music but obviously ill be using for surfing the web etc as well since ill have the option. My main reason for this thread is ive been researching them quite a bit. I dont know much about processors and such. Im thinking of going with the Dell inspiron 15 with a 500gig upgrade i can get it for like 540 which is pretty good in my opinion.
My limit will probably be around 550 or 600 anybody have any opinions on what to go with?

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 20
sounds like travel use only? have you considered buying a netbook? i use mine for on the go and its pretty useful and light.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 20
I wouldnt say travel use only. Ill be using it as a source all the time probably sitting in bed or in the living room etc. Yeah i thought about a netbook as well, but for an extra hundred or 2 i can get quite a bit more so i think entry level 15inch will be best for me.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 20
If you are going to run XP (look at the dell outlet, maybe?), the Inspiron should do just fine. My main systen uses a 1520 as a source. I keep the system clean (not much installed/running) but I do some basic surfing etc on it.

If you want to run 7, make surre you load it up with RAM (4g , IMHO)

Keep inputs/outputs in mind. The one PITA with my 1520 is it only has 4 usbs, which is tight.

For playback of music it doesn't take a super fast system.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 20
Jan 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfishing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to run 7, make surre you load it up with RAM (4g , IMHO)

No. It's not "4g", it's 4GB and that is overkill for the average internet & music user even on Windows 7. My server runs Windows 7 on 512MB without a swap file and doesn't have any problem, aside from the 100% CPU usage from other programs. Don't waste money & power for 4GB of ram, especially on a 32-Bit operating system. Aim for 2GB with the possibility to upgrade down the road (i.e. 1x2GB stick so you can get another 2GB stick).

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 20
That acer looks pretty promising. I would like to run Windows 7, i figured 2gb would be enough ram. I only have 3 on my desktop and normally have 6 windows open and about 12 tabs in safari at least and usually only use about 70% of my ram.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. usb wise i think 2 or 3 would probably be enough for me. I just need one for possibly a mouse and one for an amp/dac. Still debating but im definitely still kicking the dell around, i can just put it on my preferred acount and pay it off in a couple months so that is definitely a plus.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. It's not "4g", it's 4GB and that is overkill for the average internet & music user even on Windows 7. My server runs Windows 7 on 512MB without a swap file and doesn't have any problem, aside from the 100% CPU usage from other programs. Don't waste money & power for 4GB of ram, especially on a 32-Bit operating system. Aim for 2GB with the possibility to upgrade down the road (i.e. 1x2GB stick so you can get another 2GB stick).

Win7, especially on laptops, is now often being distributed as 64-bit. AND RAM is so cheap now that NOT getting 4GBs when getting a laptop is a major mistake that you will pay for down the road. That, and most recent value laptops come in 3GB or 4GB.

No-one cares what your server does. This isn't going to be a server. The guy deserves a robust computer, well in his price range, without crippling himself from your advise.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Win7, especially on laptops, is now often being distributed as 64-bit. AND RAM is so cheap now that NOT getting 4GBs when getting a laptop is a major mistake that you will pay for down the road. That, and most recent value laptops come in 3GB or 4GB.

No-one cares what your server does. This isn't going to be a server. The guy deserves a robust computer, well in his price range, without crippling himself from your advise.

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4400 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768)
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
4GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
500GB3 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
6-cell battery
Jet Black
1 Year Basic Mail-In Service Plan
No Webcam Option
Save $144 off Dell Inspiron 15!

What do you guys think of this? Ill probably add on a cheap built in webcam too just in case i wanna use it down the road. The price for all that i think was 545 or right around there with tax and shipping id be a touch below 600 which is great i think. I think that would pretty much do what im after dont you? Like i said hell im running a big processor and stuff on my computer at home but i only have 2gb of ram here and it does fine for many many things open at once. Let me know if you guys would go a different direction im definitely open to opinions. Im not pulling the trigger for a couple weeks probably just wanna make sure im getting the right one.

Thanks again for all the replys and advice its much appreciated.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4400 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768)
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
4GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
500GB3 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
6-cell battery
Jet Black
1 Year Basic Mail-In Service Plan
No Webcam Option
Save $144 off Dell Inspiron 15!

What do you guys think of this? Ill probably add on a cheap built in webcam too just in case i wanna use it down the road. The price for all that i think was 545 or right around there with tax and shipping id be a touch below 600 which is great i think. I think that would pretty much do what im after dont you? Like i said hell im running a big processor and stuff on my computer at home but i only have 2gb of ram here and it does fine for many many things open at once. Let me know if you guys would go a different direction im definitely open to opinions. Im not pulling the trigger for a couple weeks probably just wanna make sure im getting the right one.

Thanks again for all the replys and advice its much appreciated.

It's not bad. The screen resolution could be better. The graphics card won't do a THING in games, but you don't really want that, right?

It doesn't have an SPDIF out, though.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not bad. The screen resolution could be better. The graphics card won't do a THING in games, but you don't really want that, right?

It doesn't have an SPDIF out, though.

Naww i dont care about games much at all. My desktop has dells best video drivers and soundcard they had in 07 so its not bad, i really dont game on computers much most of the time xbox 360 or ps3 every once in a while.

Yeah i thought about the optical or spdif. Im not sure ill need it though. Do you think theres really a need for it in the audio world? Not a whole lot of amps out with optical really is there? D10 and a few others? Maybe i should look into it just for down the road. I dont know how much id have to spend through dell to get optical though. Maybe if i found a used Macbook or something? Sorry im not too savvy with computers and such thanks for all the help.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 20
Optical --> DAC --> Amp is a more reliable setup than a USB based one. Or, atleast, most optical applications are better than most USB applications. (Application meaning 'use' not programs.)

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 20
Yeah i figured it was and probably a little better sound as well. But there really isnt that many out with optical is there? Thats whats making me think it wouldnt be worth it to spend the extra to find one with an optical out.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 20
I'm considering this as my travel setup. It runs off XP and is verry affordable. Full touchscreen as well. Has usb out for any DAC you want to use that accepts usb.

viliv_x70_01.jpg

Product info/purchase: Dynamism

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering this as my travel setup. It runs off XP and is verry affordable. Full touchscreen as well. Has usb out for any DAC you want to use that accepts usb.

viliv_x70_01.jpg

Product info/purchase: Dynamism

wow thats actually pretty sweet but i think for the money id rather have a laptop. not enough storage for what i want either the dell im looking at is 500gig for about the same price. Thanks for the link though pretty sweet idea's in that website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back