LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jul 10, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #886 of 1,054
It's a Baltic 4 with Mullard ecc32s, Sylv 12BH7 and Sophia 274B mesh.

Thanks well seems the most I can bite is Amber 3, Big 7 single ended and maybe Golden atlantic 1. All of these can be found on used market on good discounts. I'm in no rush now so will read through thread. My main goal is to push my digital speaker setup closer to turntable which I had years ago.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #887 of 1,054
Thanks well seems the most I can bite is Amber 3, Big 7 single ended and maybe Golden atlantic 1. All of these can be found on used market on good discounts. I'm in no rush now so will read through thread. My main goal is to push my digital speaker setup closer to turntable which I had years ago.
My amp isn't true balanced, but I still get benefit of more volume. My speakers are only 84db so it helps me. I don't think balanced is all that and SE is not a bad thing. Best thing is less tubes to buy so that's good.

Luca knows how to make magic, so getting a used Lampi is definitely a huge improvement over no Lampi. 😊 My friend just did the same. I don't really buy into huge improvements with new generations. A Big 7 or GA would be a good thing. I wanted balanced and managed to step up to Baltic 4, but was originally looking at Amber. Knowing what I know now, I might have tried to get into an Atlantic to get into power tubes instead of octals. (No regrets). So happy hunting. There is a reason for the hype, it's real.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #888 of 1,054
Yes, be forewarned... if you are a tube roller (like myself) and you intend to search for rare, exotic or expensive tubes, I would personally recommend going with a single ended Lampi, rather than balanced, as finding your preferred rare or expensive tubes in a matched quad may be impossible, and/or very expensive.

Of course, I appreciate some may want to run a fully-balanced system from source to amp, just be aware of the potential challenges that sourcing a matched quad presents if you tube roll and want the exotic tubes :relaxed: .

PT14-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #889 of 1,054
My amp isn't true balanced, but I still get benefit of more volume. My speakers are only 84db so it helps me. I don't think balanced is all that and SE is not a bad thing. Best thing is less tubes to buy so that's good.

Luca knows how to make magic, so getting a used Lampi is definitely a huge improvement over no Lampi. 😊 My friend just did the same. I don't really buy into huge improvements with new generations. A Big 7 or GA would be a good thing. I wanted balanced and managed to step up to Baltic 4, but was originally looking at Amber. Knowing what I know now, I might have tried to get into an Atlantic to get into power tubes instead of octals. (No regrets). So happy hunting. There is a reason for the hype, it's real.

I’ll go with single ended option. I do know that it will sound very different than my current qutest DAC which I still adore, but want a bit different flavour. If I can keep Qutest technicalities and boost musicality that would be a huge win for me. Was looking in pure R2R designs, but gave it a thought on how much I adored my turntable with tube preamp so hopefully I’ll get there within digital domain and tube DAC

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #890 of 1,054
You'll get close to a similar priced turntable setup with a Lampi DAC. I find the GA 1 to be a little warmer than the TRP. The TRP has better/tighter bass and more detail. I listen to my Lampi DAC(s) more than my turntable due to convenience, but every time I think I might sell my turntable I give it another listen and say "no, I think it's worth keeping".

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #891 of 1,054
I’ll go with single ended option. I do know that it will sound very different than my current qutest DAC which I still adore, but want a bit different flavour. If I can keep Qutest technicalities and boost musicality that would be a huge win for me. Was looking in pure R2R designs, but gave it a thought on how much I adored my turntable with tube preamp so hopefully I’ll get there within digital domain and tube DAC
Yes... And their earlier stuff was R2R. They only left it recently... Last gen or one before.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #892 of 1,054
It will definitely sound different than the Qutest. You will definitely boost musicality and should widen the soundstage/depth some.

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #893 of 1,054
Yes... And their earlier stuff was R2R. They only left it recently... Last gen or one before.
Pacific was the switch from R2R, so 2018 with '57 engine' then trickle down into the other offerings.
Seeing the same thing right now with trickle down Engine 11 from the Horizon.
Just sent my Pacific in for the upgrade to Engine 11-P.

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #894 of 1,054
Pacific was the switch from R2R, so 2018 with '57 engine' then trickle down into the other offerings.
Seeing the same thing right now with trickle down Engine 11 from the Horizon.
Just sent my Pacific in for the upgrade to Engine 11-P.
Looking forward to your impressions of upgrade when you get it back.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #895 of 1,054
My Baltic 4 has never sounded this good, rolling tubes can get a bit frustrating sometimes but then it pays BIG TIME:

I was using until last week:

- VALVO AZ1 140NG WE54TUBE MESH PLATES BIG BULB GLOBE 1930's
- MATCHED PAIR RCA 12BH7 Black Plates D Getter VACUUM TUBES Tested NOS 8.5866-D
- RCA 6SN7/VT231(6F8G+converter), 1940s , USA made! WB

Same time that I purchased the RCAs 6SN7/VT231(6F8G+converter), I asked Rob from LampizatorNA which input tubes he could suggest that fits with my Baltic and he kindly suggested a pair of very reasonable priced AliExpress Chinese Shuguang 50 Years Treasure CV181-Z.

honestly after installing the RCAs I was thinking the Treasures won't even come close and boy I was wrong, more complete and balanced presentation no matter genre.

Give them a try

Attachments

• IMG_4528.JPG
    IMG_4528.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4529.JPG
    IMG_4529.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #896 of 1,054
Looking forward to your impressions of upgrade when you get it back.

+1. @Polygonhell ... I look forward to your thoughts as there aren't too many out in the wild yet. My Pacific 2 is supposed to ship to me in around a week.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #898 of 1,054
Yes, be forewarned... if you are a tube roller (like myself) and you intend to search for rare, exotic or expensive tubes, I would personally recommend going with a single ended Lampi, rather than balanced, as finding your preferred rare or expensive tubes in a matched quad may be impossible, and/or very expensive.

Of course, I appreciate some may want to run a fully-balanced system from source to amp, just be aware of the potential challenges that sourcing a matched quad presents if you tube roll and want the exotic tubes :relaxed: .

PT14-1.jpg
Just a bit to add to this - You can run a balanced Lampi DAC with half the set of tubes, which will render it single ended. This helps with tube exploration. Once a tube set is chosen, you will need a quad to operate in balanced mode.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #899 of 1,054

PT14-1.jpg

Just saying
1690920043859.png

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #900 of 1,054
Alright my Pacific 2 upgrade arrived back from Poland last Friday evening.
Some initial impressions based on limited listening, and of course there is no way to directly compare, so it's based on my memory.

Short version it's a significant step up IMO.

It’s overall more ethereal sounding, more resolving, the background is blacker (not that I could hear the noise floor previously), treble comes across a touch less forced (again not that I thought it was forced previously), might be a hair more relaxed.
Staging is wider, and instruments tend to “fill” it better but without smearing, which leads to a overall more natural presentation (again I’d have considered this a strength of the pacific to start with).
The two big standouts when listening were noticing the subtle variation in drum strikes that I previously hadn’t in recordings I was very familiar with, and the way Bass guitars were presented, which felt more natural with the leading edge of the note being textured, but resonances filling the space better.
You can also hear more of the characteristics I associate with DHT’s, I always describe it as a presence, and immediacy of presentation, but it's not a really useful description if your not already familiar with it.

On the classical side (and I haven’t listened extensively yet) strings were a real standout, the improved staging is very apparent, and there just seems to be an overall better presentation of the Bass.

It’ll be interesting to see how break in effects it.

Certainly makes me want to hear a Horizon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back