Lab Study on Headphones and Emotions
Sep 23, 2006 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
The other day I went over to the Graduate School of Business at the University of Chicago and they had a lab study that paid for you to participate in their studies. So, I waltzed in there ready to make a quick buck or two. Gotta get the dough to get more gear from someplace right?

The funny thing is, this particular study wanted to see if headphones could capture the emotion of a song or make you feel a certain way. I got to choose from a list of "Happy" songs, including James Brown's I got you (I feel good), Outkast's Hey Ya, some other ones and Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry, Be Happy. I thought I'd like to listen to Bobby do his thing with his amazing vocal abilities, but when they handed me a pair of closed Coby headphones out of the headphone out using itunes as a player, I was thinking to myself if I should've suggested plugging in my Grado SR60s instead. Oh, Head-fi! Look what you've done.
biggrin.gif
The details were all there surprisingly, but seriously the song didn't make me perkier or even smile a whole lot. I thought to myself, what bit-rate did they rip these mp3s?

So maybe that's not the best study if they want to determine whether or not headphones can truly convey the emotions imbedded in songs without higher quality cans and source and interconnects and on. If it was about the music, I could have fun with lesser sources, but you see, their downfall was that the study was about the headphones.

Still, it was fun to reflect on how lucky I am to have the rig I do now and to be able to enjoy the finer aspects to music (dynamics, articulation, complex harmonies, etc). Thanks Head-fi for a great hobby and community to spur interest and share our love for headphones!

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Fine Print:

[size=xx-small]Paid for by Bose Research for information to support their superior products when compared to their competition.[/size]

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 3
What I love about a good pair of headphones, is their ability to convey the emotion of the music to me. Good music is good music even out of 2$ earbuds, but good music turns into amazing music when listened through a high quality headphone/speaker rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back