La Figaro 339
Jun 19, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #3,423 of 6,909
K

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #3,424 of 6,909
I am considering 339 for my HD800, after my HD-DAC1 doesn't pair well with it.. 

After reading tons of comments about tube rolling, I am super confused, since I am new to this tube rolling business, I need some advice/help.. 

Though I know sound is subjective, but I would like to know which tube pairs well with HD800! 

If I use my HD-DAC1 (uses CS4398) as a Dac, I can connect it to 339, yes? 

Thanks very much!

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,425 of 6,909
  I am considering 339 for my HD800, after my HD-DAC1 doesn't pair well with it.. 

After reading tons of comments about tube rolling, I am super confused, since I am new to this tube rolling business, I need some advice/help.. 

Though I know sound is subjective, but I would like to know which tube pairs well with HD800! 

If I use my HD-DAC1 (uses CS4398) as a Dac, I can connect it to 339, yes? 

Thanks very much!

Check Yuking's site, there's a pair of tubes that are warmer and ones that are brighter. The 800s are bright, meaning the warmer tubes are most likely going to be more to your liking (unless you don't find the 800 bright) and be a more balanced match for your headphones. There are probably better/more expensive tubes you can roll on the LF to replace the warmer stock tubes, however I'm not of much use there as I'm fairly new to tubes myself - as far as I am aware though, the stock ones are quite competent.

You can use the DAC of the Marantz with the 339 of course, just RCA them both and there should be a switch on the Marantz that swaps the inputs to RCA rather than USB/TOSlink (not sure what you're using it with right now).

The 339 is known for being very good with brighter headphones (opposite of the Marantz) so rest assured your choice is correct.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #3,426 of 6,909
Thanks very much for your advice and explanation!

The only concern I have for HD-DAC1 is that I have 2 pairs of RCA outputs (Variable & Fixed), and currently I have the variable fixed up to my desktop speaker... so next would be connecting the Fixed to 339 and control the volume on 339, and hopefully the DAC1 is able to provide power to both of them... I have no idea if it works.. 

Also, I have an offer for WA22 for about twice the price of 339.. Is it worth getting it, or and if it is similar, then I could save money and get 339.. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,427 of 6,909

The only concern I have for HD-DAC1 is that I have 2 pairs of RCA outputs (Variable & Fixed), and currently I have the variable fixed up to my desktop speaker... so next would be connecting the Fixed to 339 and control the volume on 339, and hopefully the DAC1 is able to provide power to both of them... I have no idea if it works.. 

Also, I have an offer for WA22 for about twice the price of 339.. Is it worth getting it, or and if it is similar, then I could save money and get 339.. 

I think you should get the 339 and save money. I consider most of the OTL amps, especially Woo, in the $1K to $2K range as a trap. The real benefits will be found by saving up beyond the $2k range, and even then, the 339 is a keeper.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #3,429 of 6,909
I think you should get the 339 and save money. I consider most of the OTL amps, especially Woo, in the $1K to $2K range as a trap. The real benefits will be found by saving up beyond the $2k range, and even then, the 339 is a keeper.

I disagree with Woo Audio being included in that "trap", all their amps (and I can speak for the ones I have heard and the one I own) are very competent for their respective price range and I feel none to be lacklustre, as well as pretty much everyone else on the internet that has had experience with them as far as I'm aware. They get wide praise and rightfully so.

That said, I also am a big fan of the 339. The difference is basically the WA22 does a clean, perfect job of amplification. The 339 is a classic OTL amp, it's imperfect and does what you want tubes to do. Would that mean it is a better match for the HD800? In theory yes, in practice I cannot say with certainty seeing as the price gap is quite large and I've not auditioned the WA22 personally.

You can't go wrong either way, if saving money is a big deal then saving money it is.

The Marantz should have an input switch, if you want it to feed out to the speakers choose those inputs, if you want it to feed the headphone chain switch it to that. It should do it, my cheaper DACs do so.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3,430 of 6,909
I disagree with Woo Audio being included in that "trap", all their amps (and I can speak for the ones I have heard and the one I own) are very competent for their respective price range and I feel none to be lacklustre, as well as pretty much everyone else on the internet that has had experience with them as far as I'm aware. They get wide praise and rightfully so.

That said, I also am a big fan of the 339. The difference is basically the WA22 does a clean, perfect job of amplification. The 339 is a classic OTL amp, it's imperfect and does what you want tubes to do. Would that mean it is a better match for the HD800? In theory yes, in practice I cannot say with certainty seeing as the price gap is quite large and I've not auditioned the WA22 personally.

You can't go wrong either way, if saving money is a big deal then saving money it is.

The Marantz should have an input switch, if you want it to feed out to the speakers choose those inputs, if you want it to feed the headphone chain switch it to that. It should do it, my cheaper DACs do so.

Yeah, but then you could save up for a Zana Deux, not far beyond the Woo 22 in price, but far beyond it in performance, indeed on another level. That is what I mean by the 1-2$K market being a no mans's land. I wm not saying one cannot derive enjoyment from the 2 or the 22 but that there are either better values below $1K that dont tear apart the wallet while providing superior performance or,
if approaching $2K, are dangerously close to a change in performance, a la the ZD Or DNA Stratus vs the 22, both of which blow the latter away.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,431 of 6,909
Yeah, but then you could save up for a Zana Deux, not far beyond the Woo 22 in price, but far beyond it in performance, indeed on another level. That is what I mean by the 1-2$K market being a no mans's land. I wm not saying one cannot derive enjoyment from the 2 or the 22 but that there are either better values below $1K that dont tear apart the wallet while providing superior performance or,
if approaching $2K, are dangerously close to a change in performance, a la the ZD Or DNA Stratus vs the 22, both of which blow the latter away.

With that I do agree, the ZD and the Stratus as well as other 2k+ amps do make a big impact for themselves.

The only reason I argued my point is that I don't know if @fattycheesebeef wants to be upgrading any time soon, or if he has the funds for it et al. Depends on his income, if he doesn't have any intention of upgrading to something on the level of the Zana Deux within the near future, then investing 1.4k~ on the WA22 over the 339 might be worth it. I would take that deal personally, because my budget will not be stretching to 2k+ for a while and he seems to be pressed for a good match with his HD800. If he has the time and means to wait, then by all means I agree he should do so. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Then again, if he's gonna be saving up for that, then is there much point getting either the Woo or the LF right now as a placeholder? That's up to him I suppose.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,432 of 6,909

With that I do agree, the ZD and the Stratus as well as other 2k+ amps do make a big impact for themselves.

The only reason I argued my point is that I don't know if @fattycheesebeef wants to be upgrading any time soon, or if he has the funds for it et al. Depends on his income, if he doesn't have any intention of upgrading to something on the level of the Zana Deux within the near future, then investing 1.4k~ on the WA22 over the 339 might be worth it. I would take that deal personally, because my budget will not be stretching to 2k+ for a while and he seems to be pressed for a good match with his HD800. If he has the time and means to wait, then by all means I agree he should do so. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Then again, if he's gonna be saving up for that, then is there much point getting either the Woo or the LF right now as a placeholder? That's up to him I suppose.

Very good point indeed. I stand corrected, sir. Thanks for following up!

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,434 of 6,909
beerchug.gif

Agreed on the Elise too, it holds tremendous value and is completely off the charts if you're living in Europe especially - both LF and Woo amps have to be imported and VAT can be merciless (I would know, it's up to 25% where I live + customs fees). The Elise holds no such qualms making it the obvious choice for anyone looking for an amp under a thousand, dare I say 2k even (though I love the Pathos Aurium if we're talking hybrids too), in Europe.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #3,435 of 6,909
Thanks very much guys for the advice!

I guess $1.5k USD would be my budget now.. You guys are saying if I can wait, what should I get? ZD? 

I mean, I'm not really pressed to get an amp, but I've been holding off for a couple of months, and I have just been poisoned reading the amps and reviews....you know how it is.. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back