La Figaro 339
Jun 12, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #3,391 of 6,909
I am glad you think it is working properly and stably now.

No, the ZDS takes a pair of 6C33C-B power tubes that Craig says do not benefit from rolling. The single driver is a 6SL7 tube that does alter the sonic character of the amp. So, there is only one tube to worry about, but unfortunately no overlap with my collection of 339 tubes.

I have had a bad ear infection recently, at the worst possible time it seems, so I have been unable to listen the past several days. The ZDS tends toward a more neutral, fast, and clean sound; however, it still sounds like an OTL amp and has a certain rich and organic signature that can be tuned, like the 339, with tube swaps. This is really hard for me to describe. I was in fact expecting something like the Valhalla 2, a very neutral and solid state tonality, on steroids, but the ZDS was not quite so clinical. It strikes a nice balance between neutrality and the typical warmth one associates with traditional tube amps.

As a generalization, the ZDS is less intimate, more spacious, and more dynamic than the 339; it hits harder in the bass and resolves both macro and micro details more effectively. The 339 is more lush and intimate; it makes singers sound like they are almost licking your ear; there is a real tangibility and immediacy to it. Sounds tend to be softer and rounder, the transients less sharp and incisive. I realize these traits can be changed with tubes, but it goes both ways. I will obviously need more time to confirm these impressions.

The last time I could listen prior to my ear infection, I went back to the HD800, and with this headphone, the ZDS destroyed the 339, no contest. The HD800 can sound hollow and thin, but the ZDS brought them to life in a way I hadn't heard before and made them sound not only technically impressive but highly enjoyable, addicting even. With my modded HD650s, however, I enjoyed the 339 more. What makes this tricky is that I have suspected that my HD650 drivers, which I purchased in 2010, have been damaged since last autumn. Some days they sound normal but others they sound off, just fatiguing and etched in the lower treble and upper mids. Adding dynamat to the outside of the driver has really helped them come alive on the 339, but they sound no better, if not slightly worse on the ZDS. Perhaps it is shining a spotlight on the flaw. The treble especially sounds completely wrong and harsh, whereas the considerably brighter HD800 sounds smooth and effortlessly fluid. If any headphone should be easygoing non-fatiguing, it is the HD650. So I have another lightly used pair on the way, which should give me a better idea hopefully of whether my old ones are defective. It may also provide me with a better basis of comparison between the two amps. After all, Craig apparently tuned the ZD around the venerable HD6xx, even if the updated Super version was also tailored to accomodate the HD800.

What is certain is that when I listen to the 339 after acquiring the ZDS, particularly with my HD650s, I not only do not feel I am missing out but indeed can prefer the 339. My sense is that the 339 remains a very competitive and special OTL gem and that it does things no other amp I have yet heard can do. I have no plans of selling it in favor of the ZD, even if the latter is technically superior and impressive. It is good to enjoy what you have if you already own this fine piece. It is also important to keep in mind the 339 is almost a third of the price of the ZDS.

I will update my comparative impressions as my infection subsides and as time allows. I have not had much time yet with the ZDS to fully grasp its signature, and my position has always been to live with gear for awhile prior to committing to any conclusions.

Thanks for your impressions. I'd considered both these options before settling on the Apex Teton, which I'd love to be able to put against these two one day.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #3,392 of 6,909
I just purchased a second hand lafigaro 339 with some dark tubes from my favourtie audio shop cause they wanted to change to seeling portable stuff so they are getting rid alot of their pc audio stuff. I think I am in for treat! Do you guys consider me part of the lafigro family now?

Ps" I am using HD650

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #3,393 of 6,909
I just purchased a second hand lafigaro 339 with some dark tubes from my favourtie audio shop cause they wanted to change to seeling portable stuff so they are getting rid alot of their pc audio stuff. I think I am in for treat! Do you guys consider me part of the lafigro family now?

Ps" I am using HD650

We need to see a nice picture first :wink:

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,395 of 6,909

Sry i coould not take it, i opened up the box to see if its a 2011 or 2013 eventhough the guys said it was a 2013 version which he bought last year but i had to make sure. Can any of you tell me wat version this is?

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #3,398 of 6,909
hey can i read your review?

Of course, it's free 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #3,399 of 6,909

Sry i coould not take it, i opened up the box to see if its a 2011 or 2013 eventhough the guys said it was a 2013 version which he bought last year but i had to make sure. Can any of you tell me wat version this is?

beneath the mesh in the middle are the resistors. 2013 version has black resistors; earlier models have yellow. Not being able to see any yellow from the outside I would make an educated guess that you have the 2013 amp.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,400 of 6,909
beneath the mesh in the middle are the resistors. 2013 version has black resistors; earlier models have yellow. Not being able to see any yellow from the outside I would make an educated guess that you have the 2013 amp.

Yeah ur right, i did a comparison of my photo and the one from yuking. The plcemnt of the screws in the heat vent are same. So I think i can safely say its 2013.

What tubes do you guys recommend me and also which trusted ebay seller can I buy from?

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,401 of 6,909
open up the amp and check which resistors you have

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #3,402 of 6,909
open up the amp and check which resistors you have

Naah I dun like to open up things espeacially expensive amps like these, but I trust this guys since I have been dealing with them for years.I even take their stuff and pay them later.

Eitherway I've had enough time with the amp and regardless of its version, I love the sound!

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #3,403 of 6,909
Naah I dun like to open up things espeacially expensive amps like these, but I trust this guys since I have been dealing with them for years.I even take their stuff and pay them later.

Eitherway I've had enough time with the amp and regardless of its version, I love the sound!

Some screws on the bottom, it's not heart surgery 
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,404 of 6,909
So you have the darker sounding version of the amp, so I can't recommend driver tubes for you. A nice power tube would be the RCA 6AS7G. I like the GE 6AS7GA; it is a straight bottle not a coke bottle but I think it is identical to the 6AS7G. They will make the amp more warm/dark sounding.

You can buy them here:

http://www.parts-express.com/6as7ga-ge-jan-vacuum-tube--072-612

bendix 6080WB tubes are of course great but expensive. I like the svetlana 6AS7G; clean sound, defined bass, low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back