La Figaro 339
Feb 16, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #197 of 6,903
@alvin got the EF800s about three days ago... They are certainly nicer than the standard Telefunken EF80s, but not by too much :)

The good thing now is, I've got a boatload of nice sounding tubes for this amp, and don't need to buy any more, ever :) 

But then again, never say never :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #198 of 6,903
Hey phiero - Do the 6SJ7s work with the 339?  My 339 just arrived on Friday and I think it sounds great right out of the box with the stock tubes, but of course your tube impressions have got me wanting to do some tube rolling.  Thanks in advance for your response!

Quote:
Okay... Another update. 

Finally got the RCA 6080s, the GE 6AC7s, and obviously, the ones I already had (the GEC Brown Base 6AS7G + Telefunken EF80 + Stock Tubes + a Variety of 6SJ7s)

Best combos as follows:

#1 - NOS GEC Brown Base 6AS7G + NOS Telefunken EF80 - Smooth, Balanced and rich sound. Nothing is too sharp or too loud. Perfect for rock, classical, and good for all kinds in general etc. 

#2 - NOS GEC Brown Base 6AS7G + NOS GE 6AC7s - A bit less top end, but still almost as good as the Telefunken combo. 

#3 - RCA 6080 + NOS Telefunken EF80 - Sharper, crisper sound, with very tight response. Closer to a high powered solid state, but a bit thin on the bottom end. Good for Techno, Electronica, Pop. 

#
#
#
#10 - Stock tubes - Work fine...but don't expect much from these. There really is a massive amount of improvement to be had from tuberolling the 339. 

More tube impressions coming soon as shippings roll in. Getting some Russian tubes, and some RCA 6AS7s. 

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #199 of 6,903
I just pulled the trigger on this as well, and it will be my second second headphone amp, so I don't have much to compare it too, but I'll share my impressions + pictures, once I get everything all hooked up.

phiero nice pics! thing looks awesome.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #200 of 6,903
Yep @ces456. Those would work. Here's a complete list of tubes that I've tested with the 339. 

Amp Tubes (Little Outside Ones), in order of sound quality:

EF800 from Telefunken (with converter)
EF80s from Telefunken & other brands (with converter)
6AC7s from GE
6SJ7s (both metal & glasstop) from RCA, Mullard, NEC etc.
Stock WF80/EF80 Tubes
Stock Russian 6*4 Tubes

Driver Tubes (Big Middle Two Tubes), in order of sound quality:

6AS7Gs from GEC UK
6AS7 from RCA
6H5C (basically a Svetlana / Russian Winged C 6AS7 compatible tube)
6080 from RCA & GE
6N13P Stock Chinese Tubes

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #201 of 6,903
@phiero - thanks for the list.  i'm a noob with this tube stuff and definately have a steep learning curve. i appreciate all the advice i can get.  guess i'll jump on ebay and start looking for some tubes!

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #202 of 6,903
I've been very satisfied with the combo of the DV3322 (non-Chinese tubes) & the HD-800. Seeing & reading about this new amp has enthused me to get back on the merry-go-round at the audio carnival. Just ordered one (juking09) along with various tubes mentioned above by “phiero.”

The LaFig 339 is going to have to be extremely special to make me abandon the very musical (and absolutely noiseless) 3322. Will relate my thoughts as soon as I can give it a good break-in. Unfortunately, the only ’phones I have retained are the HD-600 and HD-800 (neither are going anywhere soon) so my reactions may only be relevant to those who share my taste for Sennheisers.

Do want to thank all the members who have contributed to this thread (my wife wishes to thank all of you also, only using Russian profanities and rude hand gestures).

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #203 of 6,903
NA ZDAROVYA!
I am well overdue for my impressions but have been busy with work and listening to music.
I look forward to your impressions (and Russian profanities).
Here is a night time shot of mine in the mean time.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #204 of 6,903
Sluker,

Beautiful picture! I look forward to taking my 339's baby pictures when it shows up.

My wife's standard a capella accompaniments to my unpacking new audio gear feature repeated choruses of “Y!@ twayu mat” (first word modified per Head-Fi rules) while counting with one hand with an accent on “three.” (Must be a Moscow tradition, or something.)

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #205 of 6,903
So mine arrived a few days ago.  I haven't really had time to take pictures either, but I'm really enjoying it so far.  The above poster who said this thing was powerful but smooth, was right on the money.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #206 of 6,903
Can it overall be described as having a warm sound signature and lots of bass?
What are the experiences with 300ohm Senns and 600 ohm Beyers?

Can someone also please post its mesurements? Thanks!

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #207 of 6,903
Received the 339 from Juking 2 days ago (took about a week to arrive after ordering) and presently doing break-in. Initial impression—with stock tubes—is that this amp is remarkable in both power and overall sound. My HD-800 and HD-600 sound like a perfect match for the 339. The DV 3322, as good as it is, is the junior varsity in comparison to this guy.

I plan to change to better tubes after this week and also to try a couple of more substantial power cables.

Forgive the childishness but all I can say at the moment is “Wow.” Thank you, La Figaro.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #208 of 6,903

Quote:
Received the 339 from Juking 2 days ago (took about a week to arrive after ordering) and presently doing break-in. Initial impression—with stock tubes—is that this amp is remarkable in both power and overall sound. My HD-800 and HD-600 sound like a perfect match for the 339. The DV 3322, as good as it is, is the junior varsity in comparison to this guy.

I plan to change to better tubes after this week and also to try a couple of more substantial power cables.

Forgive the childishness but all I can say at the moment is “Wow.” Thank you, La Figaro.

Congratulations, please keep the impressions coming.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #209 of 6,903
How long do you guys let your amps warm up for before listening? Is there a minimum time? Is there an optimum time?
I tend to wait 2-3 minutes, but that is only because I have always been taught to "let my tubes warm up". However after about a minute I no longer hear any tube "crackle", but I have never done any critical comparison of the sound before and after.

By the way I am Really enjoying mine with the Grado HF-2's + Jumbo pads, the combo has huge soundstage (for a Grado) and really fills out the lower end compared to SS, without making the bass bloated.

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #210 of 6,903
Having also a tube-based system in my home, I like to allow at least 15-20 minutes for preamp and amp to warm up. After, I play at a reduced volume for a few minutes before sitting down to listen at normal levels. This is simply my MO and not a rule or procedure recommended by anyone. I pretty much did same with the DV 3322 and now do with the 339.

Glad to learn that your Grado is happy with the amp. I have similar results through both of my Sennheisers: the enormous soundstage and solidity/great depth of the bass. This is with the stock tubes, power cables and about 15-hrs. of break-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back