L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 10, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #6,376 of 6,831
Thanks, so this is a consequence of a design You have chosen. I frequently see views that tube rectification is generally better, but i guess this is just a design issue and it is not a general truth.

One isn't better than the other, just depends on what you want to achieve with the power supply. Audiophiles make a lot of claims, you can usually count on whatever gear they've chosen to invest their money in as being the absolute best, until they get the next thing of course, which is truly the best.

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6,378 of 6,831
One isn't better than the other, just depends on what you want to achieve with the power supply. Audiophiles make a lot of claims, you can usually count on whatever gear they've chosen to invest their money in as being the absolute best, until they get the next thing of course, which is truly the best.
Ownership bias is the most severe bias for sure! Also a huge reason why dealers, manufacturers and the in between who sell headphones shouldn't be writing reviews, or employing those that do.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 10, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #6,379 of 6,831
Very true but also easy to get lost sometimes. This is why it is good to read that from credible source:)

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #6,380 of 6,831
Oct 12, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #6,381 of 6,831
I'm at a point where I can't really work on Zach's amp until I have the chassis. Working on it got me inspired though, and I ended up completing the layout for my HY69 amplifier! This amp felt very far away as doing a layout like this is a lot of work, but I hunkered down and got it done over the past three days.

Here is what the top plate looks like with outlines for the transformers. The two large circles near the front are the 100uF ClarityCaps that feed the interstage transformers, which will protrude through the top plate. The interstage transformers themselves will be mounted internally. D3a inputs near the front HY69 toward the back.

HY69 Top.png

Here is a foldout of the amplifier chassis. Total dimensions are 14.5" x 13" x 3.25".

HY69 Chassis.png

As I've mentioned, this amp will have a autoformer volume control. For the sake of minimizing the noise floor, I've put the AVC into a separate chassis. It's one half the length and width of the amplifier chassis at 7.25" x 6.5" x 3.25". It essentially functions as a passive preamp. RCA outputs on the front panel will connect by RCA jumpers to the RCA inputs on the front panel of the amplifier chassis.

AVC Chassis.png

I'm really happy with the layout of this amp, I think it's going to look very nice. In terms of the color scheme, I am going to go with a two tone look for both chassis.

Top and bottom plates will be Hilltop Silver.

hilltop-silver-pls-2334-dt20200522153658285-thumbnail.jpg

Side panels will be British Green.

british-green-psb-6354-dt20200820163202647-thumbnail.jpg

Going to place the order today, possible it could be built this weekend.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #6,382 of 6,831
The 2A3 amp and HY69 amp chassis are being built, should be coated this upcoming weekend and will have them by late next week. I finished ordering all the parts for the HY69 amp, so I'll be able to build the two amps back-to-back.

Got some parts in today for the HY69 amp: using KLE Innovations Perfect Harmony RCAs for the AVC chassis input and output as well as the amplifier chassis input. Picked up some non-inductive Mills wirewounds for the current sense resistors on the Rod Coleman regulators. Wire for the HY69 anode caps is 600V rated 16AWG Neotech UP-OCC which I plan to sleeve with paracord (2ft lengths of various patterns on the way for assessment). Not super impressed with the current production anode caps, so I picked up some vintage National Ceramic caps, two pairs so I have a backup set. The leads themselves are oxidized so I'll need to clean that up, but they are NOS.

Last thing I need to figure out is what I'm doing for the RCA jumpers between the AVC and the amplifier chassis. Probably will build my own, just need to figure out with what!

PXL_20231016_164759330-2.jpg

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #6,383 of 6,831
I got a lot done today despite not having the 2A3 amp chassis.

First, I did some light machining. I widened the mounting holes on the 9-pin sockets for both amplifiers to 3mm (2mm originally), a more convenient mounting size. I also cleaned all the pins for both sets of sockets.

PXL_20231017_205442403-2.jpg

Next, I used the ol' drill press to make a 10mm hole for the Goldpoint output impedance selector switch mounting bracket. The bracket is a high-end audiophile silver plated model and definitely not cabinet mounting hardware from Home Depot. I also wired up the output impedance switch.

PXL_20231017_205044013-2.jpg

Then I wired the interstage and output transformers.

PXL_20231017_205650026-2.jpg

Lastly, I wired the milliammeters and bias pots.

PXL_20231017_205224562.MP-2.jpg

I also twisted some wire for the power supply and heaters. I tried to get all of the tedious stuff out of the way so when the chassis gets here, it's a quick build. Honestly, with all that done, I could probably build the amp in 1-2 sittings.

I also decided what I'm doing for the interconnects between the AVC and amplifier chassis for the HY69 amp. I picked up some bulk cable from VH Audio, their Pulsar Cu II OCC copper coaxial cable, a pair of KLE Innovations Absolute Harmony RCAs, and some techflex. I figured since I'm already using KLE low mass RCA female connectors, might as well match them to the male connectors. So it's a high end interconnect in terms of materials. I'm not crazy into the cable stuff, but I figure if I make something with expensive parts, I've done my due diligence lol. Who knows, if I like them enough, maybe I'll make a full set for my systems.

pulsar-cu-occ.jpg KLE_Absolute_Harmony-960.jpg

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #6,384 of 6,831
I just realized in my photo that the two UX4 sockets are slightly different styles. That won't do, I'll have to find a matched pair, wish me luck.

PXL_20231017_213730647-2.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #6,387 of 6,831
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to use inside corner brackets to remote mount pot's/attenuators. (Oops! Sorry. I gave away your secret.)

They're perfect for the job!

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #6,388 of 6,831
After these two amps will be my LCR phono. I was planning to use the Lundahl LL9226XL MC SUTs I have in my current phono stage. Now that I'm far from the pain of the purchase of the LCR inductors and signal transformers, I'm considering going all in on a pair of Slagle's MC SUTs.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #6,389 of 6,831
After these two amps will be my LCR phono. I was planning to use the Lundahl LL9226XL MC SUTs I have in my current phono stage. Now that I'm far from the pain of the purchase of the LCR inductors and signal transformers, I'm considering going all in on a pair of Slagle's MC SUTs.

I'd be interested to hear about that project. I've been considering building a replacement for my EAR 834P.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #6,390 of 6,831
I'd be interested to hear about that project. I've been considering building a replacement for my EAR 834P.

I'll show the whole build here! It's a pricey project though. MC SUT > transformer coupled D3a or E810F > LCR RIAA network > transformer coupled E55L. Lots of expensive iron, but this is the endgame phono stage so I'm willing to spend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back