KWAK-CLOCK layout critque
Dec 28, 2003 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Glassman

Headphoneus Supremus
kwak-pcb.gif

please comment & suggest improvements..

size of the PCB is 60x60mm, mostly SMD parts used..

schematics here..

edit: some minor changes, now 55x60mm

Dec 28, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 13
Looks neat, but at the risk of sounding noobish, what is it, and what is it to be used for?

Dec 29, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
BTW glassman , try to give credit to the circuit designer when possible-only fair man

rickmonsterator

It's on the schematic.

Dec 29, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 13
yes it is ,but knowing the schema i never looked at the link

still good policy :

any schematic not designed by the one posting it should have a reference to the actual designer and if possible ,even by the designer ,the website if one is available to enable others to understand the background and use of the circuit design

as in the above case where beamrider had no clue whatsoever what the circuit was intended for

cheers

Dec 29, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 13
looks like you did all your routing on on the component side. Can you put a ground plane on the solder side? Maybe two planes connected at one point? Besides that, it looks like everything can be squeezed together much more tightly.

Dec 29, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 13
I don't know about any website published by Elso himself, if someone is interested in this circuit, try searching for 'kwak clock' on diyaudio.com forum..

anyway, thanks for comments.. it's actually my first pcb designed using Eagle, so it was somehow a challenge for me.. the red wires are the 'top' side, the possible 'bottom' side would be blue.. I would make grounding on the bottom side, but I don't know how to put the ground plane without touching the legs of not-smd components.. I think Eagle should make it automaticaly, but I don't know how
tongue.gif

jefe, I'll try to sqeeze it more, but I'm going to solder this by hand, so more space never hurts
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
Am I not wrong to say that the crystal is actually twice the frequency that you need? Or am I wrong?

don't know what you mean.. it's 24.576MHz, it's from my soundcard, the output MCLK should be 24.576MHz as well or am I wrong?

Dec 29, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Then I must have made a mistake.. But I'm sure there is one of those clock tweaks out there that use a crystal of twice the freq. than the output... Supposed to half the errors or something....

Dec 29, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
I don't know about any website published by Elso himself, if someone is interested in this circuit, try searching for 'kwak clock' on diyaudio.com forum..

anyway, thanks for comments.. it's actually my first pcb designed using Eagle, so it was somehow a challenge for me.. the red wires are the 'top' side, the possible 'bottom' side would be blue.. I would make grounding on the bottom side, but I don't know how to put the ground plane without touching the legs of not-smd components.. I think Eagle should make it automaticaly, but I don't know how
tongue.gif

jefe, I'll try to sqeeze it more, but I'm going to solder this by hand, so more space never hurts
wink.gif

I don't know about Eagle, but with my program (PADS), you can set the distance you want the copper pour to come within the pads. It should be handled automatically. Alternately, you could use the hatch method where you just draw a whole bunch of traces making a checkerboard pattern. Just make sure you look at the final cam with a program like gerberview before you send it off to be made. The plane isn't really essential though. I defintely think you can squeeze everything together especially around the clock, IC area. If you solder the SMT stuff on first, you should have enough room to work. Put the through hole stuff on last since they are taller and will hinder the angles you can put your soldering iron at.

Dec 29, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 13
you can do that very easily in Eagle.. draw a polygon, with isolate set to a sensible value. if you want it to connect to a signal, change the name to the same as the signal. If not, just press the Ratsnest button and it will do a copper pour within the bounds of the polygon

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back