KSC35 + 75ohm resistor
Aug 18, 2005 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fureshi

Headphoneus Supremus
it was about 7pm and time to call it a day at work. i'd been thinking about doing this mod for a while and didn't think that it would take too long to do so i just went ahead and did it. in the past, there was talk about some people putting a 75ohm resistor inline on their ksc35 with good results but recently i haven't seen anyone mention it and wasn't really able to find anything about it while doing a quick search. at first, i was apprehensive about doing this as i didn't want to mess up my headphones but in the end, my curiosity won over. besides, if i wanted to reverse it, it'd be pretty easy to desolder the resistor.

my memory was right about the mod and adding this resistor has made my ksc35 sound so much better. i'm listening to annie lennox bare on them right now and i can't believe how much it's changed the sound. bass is a bit tighter but more punchy. mids and highs have become more prominent but smoother than before. before, it sounded a bit dry but now it's lusher. i'm not sure how to explain it but maybe they're more musical? the soundstage also feels like it's opened up a bit. overall they've become more fun.

i'm not sure if there is such a thing as burn-in for resistors but they sound different than an hour ago. bass seems tighter now.

here's a quick write up on how to do it:

the clips come of pretty easily if you twist them off but make sure that you are twisting along the axis that the clip tilts on. the cover for the solder pads comes off pretty easily but the plastic pins will break if you're not careful. it's probably better to pry slowly with a jeweler's screwdriver. i labeled them "L" and "R" so that i'd know which clip attached to which side.
dsc005074ch.jpg

the resistors that i used weren't anything special. they were metal film with 2% tolerance. i got them at fry's for $1.99 for a pack of 12 but they seem to be doing the job pretty well. there isn't much space inside so i wrapped one lead of the resistor around the strain relief and soldered it down to the pad.
this was the best way i could think of making everything fit.
dsc005121js.jpg

the other lead of the resistor i soldered to the signal wire. the wires with insulation are the signal wires. white for left side and red for right side. i ended up desoldering the ground also as it gave me more room to solder the resistor and signal wire togther. after everything was soldered, i routed the wire the way that it was originally routed.
dsc005104ig.jpg

dsc005112na.jpg

after all that is done, just put the covers and the corresponding clips back on. enjoy!

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Would this essentially do the same for the KSC75s? People have always been recommending getting an adapter, but this may be a fun little mod to have it all in one. I've been using some modded KSC75s with an ipod shuffle and cmoy so far and have been trying to find something else to make or mod. Might want to try this or some possible recabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back