KSC-35's comfort?
May 29, 2005 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aj2four0

New Head-Fier
I'm having comfort issues w/ my 35's. Has anyone found a way to mod them so they dont' clamp so tight? Has anyone successfully modded the drivers into the 75 shell? I'm looking for any kind of solution here, because i love the sound, but can't leave them on for more than 30 min before my ears hurt so bad i get a headache. :-D thanks.

btw, i have some cheapo pioneer clipons where the clip swivels away from the body, then clips back on to snug to your ear. This design seems far more comfortble... but the casing sizes are completely different, so i doubt a transplant is possible.

May 29, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 7
weird...i find them to be really comfortable.

you may want to take a lighter or something and touch it to the plastic clips for like a second to make them more pliable. then you can mold the clips a bit for a better fit.

May 29, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 7
You've hit on my primary complaint about all headphones. Not sonic issues, but comfort issues. No matter how good a headphone sounds, if it's uncomfortable to wear, you won't want to listen to it.

I found no way to improve the comfort of the KSC35's, and gave them up for the Sony w.ear portables. Though inferior sounding, I can use the w.ear for hours without even noticing they are on.

May 29, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 7
I used to own an old pair of KSC-35s that were just super-comfortable to wear. The clips applied just the right amount of pressure, and the 'phones literally "disappeared". Then the cable started stripping due to carrying them everywhere for years in my bag, and I had to buy a new pair from Koss to replace them because they sent me KSC-75s as a replacement
mad.gif

Unfortunately, this new pair (from their more recent production run, I imagine) clamps quite hard, especially on my right ear. It's really uncomfortable, and I am constantly fidgeting to ease the pressure. Long story short, there appears to be considerable variation in the tightness of fit in various KSC-35 production runs.

May 29, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 7
If anyone has success applying heat by any means to the clip- please let me know. I guarantee I hold the record for most melted/destroyed KSC35 clips ever. Fortunately, I was able to remedy the actual cause of discomfort in KSC-35's for every pair I've owned.

I just posted this in another thread:

In my personal opinion, there are two important mods that should be performed to maximize performance and comfort with 35’s. The first is the often discussed center-hole mod in the pad. I’ve been listening to pads with various sized holes and find a 1cm hole in the dead-center of the pad to be optimal for my tastes. The 1cm also happens to correspond to the size of the center dimple in the driver grate and the three oval openings surrounding the dimple. Some people seem to prefer the sound with the pad removed entirely, though you might as well listen to the KSC-75’s if your ears are that insensitive.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The second mod is just as easy as the center-hole mod. The most common cause of discomfort with the 35 ear-clips is a result of the “molding-lines” that remain on the interior curve of the clips. The line is often difficult to see and may not even be felt until the phones have been on for a while. The molding-line can easily be removed with some very fine sand paper, though I prefer dragging the blade of a utility knife perpendicular to the line, and tilted on a slight angle, obtuse counter to the direction of motion. Even if you can’t see the line, you will be able to feel it with your fingertips. I’ve never had a pair of 35’s that didn’t benefit from this procedure. (BTW- be sure to remove the clip before performing this mod).

The problem with tight earclips is the easiest to fix. Simply removing the clip and then reattaching it simulates nearly perfectly the changes that accompany many months of use. Still too tight? Remove and reattach again.

To detach, simply hold the earphone with the clip-joint facing up and so you can read the "KOSS” logo that’s on the clip right-side-up. If you’re right-handed, hold it in your left hand. Now place your right thumb directly below the “O” in KOSS. As you begin to lift with your thumb, you’ll see the heart of the ball-and-socket joint. A small amount of force will pop the clip right off. To reattach, just perform this procedure in reverse.
Important: Do not try to pry with any other part of the clip as you will certainly break it or distort it.

May 29, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 7
If you just got them, give them time. They are tight for the first 1-2 weeks. Just dont pull the clip too far around your ear and the pinching wont be as bad. I have had mine for a while now and they dont pinch at all.

May 29, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I will respond in kind to JB.'s post as I did in an earlyer thread.

Hail the king of the KSC35.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back