KSC-35 rattling problem
Aug 11, 2003 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mrselfdestruct

Head-Fier
so a few months ago my KSC-35s developed this rattle which happens whenever i play anything with relatively low and loud bass through them. this only happens on the left side and is very very annoying, as they were fine for bass before. has anyone experienced this before or possibly have any ideas on how to fix the headphones?

thanks

-ivan

Aug 11, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 14
OMG! The same exact thing happens in the left earphone of my KSC-50's (same drivers, different shell). Someone told me it was dust. Take off the pad and gently blow into it to get the dust out was what he told me. So far, it's working great
rolleyes.gif
(the rattling just gets worse).

Aug 11, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 14
This happened with my Portapros all the time. I would take the pads off, pick any hairs out of the pads and the drivers, blow out the drivers, put everything back together, and voila. No more buzzing.

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 14
Well, off they go. I'm shipping my KSC-50's back to Koss. No matter how much I blow, it doesn't fix it and it's slowly getting worse. I even tried shooting compressed air (you know, those enviro-duster cans) into the driver at an angle to blow dust out. Hopefully they will honor my request and send back a pair of KSC-35's. Unlikely, but I'll give it a shot.

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Well, off they go. I'm shipping my KSC-50's back to Koss. No matter how much I blow, it doesn't fix it and it's slowly getting worse. I even tried shooting compressed air (you know, those enviro-duster cans) into the driver at an angle to blow dust out. Hopefully they will honor my request and send back a pair of KSC-35's. Unlikely, but I'll give it a shot.

If what I said didn't work, I think your drivers are busted. Sending them back is a good idea.

You asked for KSC-35's back? Unlikely you'll get them. They won't even give you KSC-35's back if you send in KSC-35's for repair. They insist of giving KSC-50's.

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 14
had the same problem with both of my sr60 drivers, one went right after i fixed the other. hairs... very very tiny hairs on the damn driver caused this aweful distortion in the lower frequencies....

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 14
This has always been the way my KSC35 acted... for over a year now...only when you REALLY crank it though..

No, it's not the dust.

No, there's no hairs on the driver.

It's the earpiece, it's loose and rattles against the plastic.

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Here's my letter:

Dear Koss,
I have been noticing some problems with my KSC-50 clip-on earphones that have caused me to send them back to you (they are under warranty). My left earphone is rattling when low or heavy bass lines are playing. A friend suggested taking off the earpiece’s pad and blowing out any dust that might be causing it. I did so and noticed no improvement, and the problem seems to be slowly getting worse. Also, I am EXTREMELY displeased with the durability of these earphones. The outside shells are easily dented; there are two medium size dents on the right earphone, and a bigger one on the left as well as a small one. Also, upon opening my left earphone, I noticed what was causing me to feel pinched when wearing them—the tabs that limit where the spring mechanism can rotate are completely gone.
While my earphones were working, I greatly enjoyed their sound quality, as they are easily the best headphones out there for 50 bucks or less, and easily surpass anything packaged with CD, minidisc, or MP3 player, no matter how good the player. I have heard very much about the predecessor to the KSC-50’s, the KSC-35’s. According to reviews too numerous to count, they are much better in terms of design, and the closer and more secure fit actually enhances the bass. I understand Koss’s need to market a stylish product, but I must point out that quality should never be sacrificed for style (personally, I like the styling of the KSC-35’s better, it makes them look more like a pair of earphones than a fancy piece of plastic). If at all possible, I would like a replacement pair of KSC-35’s, as they would probably serve me better while still retaining the quality of my KSC-50’s. The drivers are the same, but the 35’s design is clearly better, so if I can have a pair of those instead of KSC-50’s, I would greatly appreciate it. If that is not possible, I would like some kind of online store credit to use towards the KSC-35’s. If neither of these options are possible, I understand, just ship a replacement pair of KSC-50’s.
Thank you greatly for your cooperation, I always used to recommend your KSC-50’s as a replacement for standard portable headphones, which hardly satisfy the average and especially the advanced audiophile. I have more recently recommended the KSC-35’s, as I see they are now available again. If you can ship me KSC-35’s as a replacement or give me a credit, I would greatly appreciate it and would be sure to give you very positive feedback.

Thank you,

********* (MD1032)

Is it convincing enough? I'm only 15.

Aug 12, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 14
It's a good letter, but since KSC-35's do cost more than KSC-50's, I'm not sure if they'll send the phones :/

Aug 12, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 14
This problem has come up in the past as a topic on this forum. Do a search on "grattle", which seems to afflict both Koss and Grados.

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Hmmmmm, I wonder if there's a way to seal the driver so that dust physically can't get in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back