Koss prodj100 with m50 pads vs audiotechnica ath m50
Jul 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

zunehdrocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Comfort/build:
Overall, the ath m50 wins. 
The ath m50 has better strain reliefs and the coiled cable is longer. The sheath on the cable simply feels better. The swiveling mechanism also seems to be more sturdy. The comfort is pretty much the same but the koss's un-natural shaped headband starts to get irritating (i would have also liked a bit more padding) even though the koss is much lighter. The ath m50 has a 2 year warranty, while the koss has a lifetime warranty. The m50 also isolates a lot more.

Overall sound:
The ath m50 generally sounds more fun. The v shape is there a little bit but its not as bad as some people say. They are both good all rounders but they both excel in different genres.
ath m50:
electronic music 
rap and hip pop

koss:
jpop and jrock 
indie rock

For smoother genres like jazz and classical,  I can't really choose. The soundstage is much bigger on the athm50 but the koss sounds more natural overall (and a bit thinner overall). Instrument seperation is about the same. The akg k550, soundmagic hp100, roland rh300, and yamaha mt220 would probably be better suited to those genres.
The ath m50 sounds warmer and has a bit more treble

Now for a more detailed comparison

Bass: The ath m50 reaches quite a bit deeper (they both have good bass extension) but the koss is faster overall. The sub bass also seems a bit more defined. The ath m50 has more bass impact than the koss (i feel like the koss lacks a bit of impact and sounds thin )

mids: I LOVE the forward mids on the koss. Vocals sound Amazing. The ath m50 is pretty good. The koss is definetly the winner here.

highs: The koss sounds really natural aside from the slight hollowness. A bit more treble wouldn't hurt. The ath m50 is also pretty natural but it is a bit edgy. 

Clarity and detail: Aside from the mids, they are pretty similar.
The clarity might be a little better on the koss

soundstage and instrument seperation: soundstage and ambience is much better on the ath m50. Instrument seperation is about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back