Koss pro dj 100 vs audio technica ath m50 vs grado sr80i?
Jan 7, 2011 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mattmoney107

New Head-Fier
Im looking to get a new pair of headphones and i want the best sound quality for under and around $100. Ive heard good things about Koss pro dj 100, audio technica ath m50, and the grado sr80i but im up for other suggestions. I listen to hip hop if that helps and also ill probably be using these for my ipod and computer.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 32

Grados and hip-hop go together like fire and baby's. also the DJ 100 are more midcentric that anything I was actually shocked by that when I herd them.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 32
Grados do hip hop well IF you are not into big bass....and not all hip hop fans are. Sp if you fall into that category the Grados might not be a bad choice. I suffered through a bunch of tracks the other day just to check it out...and although I still can't stand the genre...most of it sounded good...except for the lack of low, LOW, booming bass.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 32
I've had all 3 and ended up with the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's my favorite headphone I've ever owned. I've had only two headphones ever "Wow" me with it's sound quality and it was the DJ100 and the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000. My M50 was one of the old version and didn't sound as good as some other pairs. The DJ100 is more balanced than the M50 and has better mids to me. They're certainly more forward. For vocals, the DJ100 is far, far better. The DJ100 does have a decent amount of bass, but not as much as the M50. Maybe compared to the new versions, but I have no clue. I do love the bass on the DJ100. It's actually the most bass heavy headphone I own, but I don't mean it's bass heavy! Maybe to some.

Compared to the M50 the DJ100 also has a better soundstage, better imaging and is a lot smaller. Comfort is slightly better on the M50 until you replace the DJ100 pads. I will say that the highs are less rolled off on the newer M50. The DJ100 does have very slightly rolled off highs, but not too badly.

Both are good headphones, but it all depends on what sound signature you like. I'm not willing to give up good mids for more bass. I love forward sounding mids, but not everyone will.

I do like the sound out of the SR-80 and it's good, but I have too many complaints about them that I can't suggest them much.

BTW the DJ100 is also good for gaming! Someone HAS to try it with gaming. Not as good as many open headphones, but not bad for $80 and for being closed!

EDIT: I'd suggest buying both the M50 and the DJ100 if you have the cash and trying both side by side. I bet you'll be surprised. Then just return the loser and report back
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 32
Best pads I've found for the DJ100 are the Audio Technica M30 pads. They're oval, but fit the DJ100 just fine, but will look slightly goofy, but who cares?
Luckily they don't effect the sound except that they add isolation and improve the bass due to a better seal.

The Shure SRH-240 pads also fit but the sound is almost ruined. I don't know why, but with the DJ100 pads, the less air inside the pad the better?!
I think the MDR-V6 pads might also fit.

I know that the Pearstone Velour pads for the MDR-V6 work with the DJ100. I don't suggest them since they will make your ears hot after just a few hours.
The M30 pads keep my ears cool somehow. They might not be circumaural for everyone though, but for me they are. If you don't think they will be, you could try the MDR-V6 pads instead.

Koss really should improve the pads and add more depth. I think there is a good reason they're made the way they are.

Comfort with the M30 pads is probably a 9/10 now. MDR-V6 pads are probably easier to find.

I just checked and the MDR-V6 and M30 pads are nearly the same. The pads that would work are $15/pair:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582208-REG/Pearstone_8091000_Replacement_Earpads_Pair.html

Quote:
What pads do you use with DJ100, I'm curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Comfort is slightly better on the M50 until you replace the DJ100 pads.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 32
Thank you tdockweiler :)

I tried Shure SRH-480 pads, wasn't too impressed.

I think I'll get MDR-V6 pads and give them a whirl.

BTW, there are going for $10 on Amazon. Would be a good deal for those with Prime account.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFX2OC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MXZQCDVKB9WC8CFVQZ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 32
Just as a note, that's for EACH. Luckily I have Amazon prime, but the B&H price seems a bit better, but it all depends I guess on how much they charge for shipping.
A lot of people were complaining on there that the shipping for them on Amazon was too high.

So nice getting headphones shipped by next day for $3.99! Amazon returns are so painless too. No labels or postage to calculate..
Quote:
Thank you tdockweiler :)

I tried Shure SRH-480 pads, wasn't too impressed.

I think I'll get MDR-V6 pads and give them a whirl.

BTW, there are going for $10 on Amazon. Would be a good deal for those with Prime account.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFX2OC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MXZQCDVKB9WC8CFVQZ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 32
Yes, good catch. It is per one. What are they thinking I wonder...

Well, still, $20 with no tax and free shipping on Prime would probably be pretty close to B&H price after tax and shipping, give or take a buck. And yes, I do like Amazon's returns - no calling or waiting, just click through a couple of pages, print the label and send it back.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 32
Got some MDR-V6 pads. Somewhat better seal. They are smaller so putting them on is a bit of a pain so take your time :p .

The dust-cloth (or whatever it's called) is thicker; to my ears it shifts the sound a touch toward the lower end.

Here's some pix to compare the pads:

DJ100 left, MDR-V6 right; front

DJ100 left, MDR-V6 right; back

MDR-V6 installed

DSC01483.JPG

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 32
Thanks for the pictures. They look very similar to my M30 pads, but the M30 pads feel a bit cheap, but at the same time, the cheapness of them makes them keep my ears cool and I'm not sure why. The pleather on the M30 pads is really thin and there's lots more lines/creases on the pads and maybe this is why. I don't know why that would matter.

Those V6 pads also look slightly wider than my M30 pads, which fit me well but probably won't surround everyone's ears. I should buy some of them just to compare them. I'm glad that changing the pads from round to oval doesn't change the sound too much.

A lot of people have complained the default pads press against a person's ears too much and the V6 pads should help a lot.

Now if only I can find some memory foam pads!

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 32
I tried the DT-880 pads, but those are too big. I imagine the DT-440 pads are about the same size.
Strangely the K240 pads are about the perfect size if they would be two notches smaller. Even the pad fits into the slot surrounding the DJ100.
Too bad it totally kills the sound, but I expected that.

Shure SRH-240 pads fit perfectly but it makes the headphone sound pretty bad and almost too bright. It does help the isolation a lot though.
I don't think 240 pads can be purchased separately though.
Quote:

I wonder if DT 770 would work with DJ100. There are some nice choices of pads when it comes to DT 770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back