Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Aug 18, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #856 of 2,344
Quote:
Here's a useful link with dynamic range ratings for a slew of music:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?sort=dr&order=desc

Wow this is awful.  It may explain why my ears are unhappy after listening to some music, even though the audio files are high quality.  For example, Innerspeaker by Tame Impala is an amazing album but for some reason I feel fatigued listening and can't stick through the entire album without a break.  My guess now is the horrible dynamic range: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=7453

But vinyl seems to be much better: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=7454

So what do we do?  Would buying vinyl of our favorite music help?

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #857 of 2,344
What exactly is dynamic range?

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #858 of 2,344
The difference between the quietest elements and loudest elements in a song.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #859 of 2,344
Quote:
The difference between the quietest elements and loudest elements in a song.

Ahh good example thanks :)

Learning about audio is so interesting.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #861 of 2,344
Pulled the trigger and picked up the DJ100 from Best Buy on sale. I'm excited to get it home after following this thread for so long!

Update: I'm happy with how these sound out of the box. My only concern was the bass and so far it's where I would like it. They clamp a bit tight though, will that loosen up like many new headphones do over time?

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #862 of 2,344
They are back to $79 again on Amazon. :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #864 of 2,344
Aug 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #865 of 2,344
I think from now on i'm going to set my own rule that I don't post impressions of amps/dacs for the DJ100 until I've listened them for at least a week.
The E10 with the DJ100 has been like a roller coaster. It goes from terrible to good to amazing and then back to terrible. The E10 is supposed to measure flat, but it doesn't sound that way.

It makes the DJ100's mids more forward than it should be. It makes the DJ100 fatiguing. I think it's the lower mids. In fact, they are too forward to be enjoyable. The DJ100 should never have ultra forward mids.
The DJ100's bass with the E10 is a tad bloated. I shouldn't say bloated, but not where it should be.

It's also less clear. Believe it or not the DJ100 sounds much better from a Sansa Clip+

The issues with the E10 and DJ100 are the same with the HD-598 and E10.

The E11 actually has much closer to neutral mids. I even prefer the X-Fi Go Pro DAC ($35, for the DJ100/HD-598) to the E10.

I think there was a guy here who didn't like the 598 and DJ100 with the E10. I don't either really.

I also can't get good sound from the line out. All the impressions above were straight out of the DAC. The only way I got the E10 to sound neutral to my amp was sending the headphone out to my amp.

I'd say the E10 with the DJ100 is quite colored and not 100% how it should sound. If you want to hear how the DJ100 should REALLY sound, use the ruler flat Sansa Clip+ as a reference.
The X-Fi Go Pro DAC is close to this. So is my Realtek onboard HD (sounds like it).

I still think it sounds OK, but wouldn't suggest the E10 for the 598 or DJ100. The E11' is far better IMO. I still would say the best portable amp for the DJ100 i've heard is the Total Airhead. It doesn't change it's sound signature at all, just improves almost everything.

NOTE: The X-Fi Go Pro is also impressive for the 598 as well. It seems the amps that are great for the 598 also play well with the DJ100. Of course i'll let you guys figure out if you think they really need one. I certainly do!

EDIT: Just bought an ODAC. Hopefully it has good synergy with my DJ100, Q701 and Micro Amp.
biggrin.gif
Only kidding... or maybe not. We'll see if it REALLY sounds completely uncolored as they say. Hope so. Hopefully it's really in stock and I can get it by the end of this week! It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the E10 and HRT MSII.

BTW the dj100 is back to $80 on amazon. Same as Best Buy now. Maybe they compete a lot? There's a pair used on amazon (for an hour they say) for $40. No, it's not mine. I only have the TB. If the DJ100 ever sells for $40 new, that's just stupid of Koss to do. Maybe they can start giving them away for free next!

I'd gladly pay for a $150 version that had some sort of memory foam pads. Maybe do a complete (no ProDJ300 please!) redesign and remove the DJ label. I wish my DJ100 looked as comfortable as the Philips Uptown. Those pads would kill the sound though I'd imagine. XB500 pads do. I'd much rather have them make an open version (it can be done) that's less portable and more comfortable. That driver is capable of being even better than it is. I didn't realize this until I made it open and also heard it with the M50 pads.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #866 of 2,344
LOL at this review on Bestbuy.

"Returned it
rating.gif

Posted by: SAPV
from Chicago,IL
on 06/27/2012

What's great about it: Price
What's not so great: Does not produce enough details

I returned this product after having it for a day. Exchanged it for a Bose OE2i headphone."

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #868 of 2,344
Quote:
LOL at this review on Bestbuy.

"Returned it
rating.gif

Posted by: SAPV
from Chicago,IL
on 06/27/2012

What's great about it: Price
What's not so great: Does not produce enough details

I returned this product after having it for a day. Exchanged it for a Bose OE2i headphone."

Yeah I saw that one. There's one on Amazon that's even worse. I replied to it and was kind of too sarcastic and coming off a jerk, but some of his comments didn't make sense to me.
I hate it when people claim these have poor build quality, yet haven't owned them for even a week or are just guessing.

I actually think the DJ100s are every bit as detailed as my KRKs, but they don't have as much treble or all that detail shoved in my face. At one point I was convinced otherwise, but not really anymore.

I think this whole detail thing is overblown. Just because a headphone is much more expensive doesn't mean it's all that more detailed. I mean i've found that on my DJ100 details just don't suddenly go missing.
Some other headphones sound more detailed, but only due to sound signature variations. Much easier to hear some things I guess.

Detail level also improves with a good DAC and amp of course.

I demoed the OE2 and it seemed too bassy. The AE1 and AE2 are a lot better IMO and neither are bass heavy.

BTW I find closed headphones easier to spot specific and very subtle details. I guess this is obvious.

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #869 of 2,344
After some burn-in time I'm loving the sound of these headphones even more.  They may be starting to get a little more comfortable.  I left them on something about the size of my head overnight and that seems to have helped.  I'm thinking I'll need to try the M50 pads though, and maybe an E7 or E11 also.

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #870 of 2,344
You should try this artists songs, I'm really wowed by it on my V6's. Some of her songs have a pretty big sound stage out of all the music in my library and that's a surprise for these headphones. I can't wait until my birthday so I can ask for a pair of DJ100's again. I can't imagine what it sounds like on the Koss headphones.  

Jessie Ware's new album, Devotion. It's on TPB if you just want to try and listen to it really quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back