Koss PortaPros????????
Aug 6, 2007 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dap_pad

500+ Head-Fier
Well I just got to Hong Kong and realized that they are actually selling these "budget" headphones and now I REALLY want them LOL

So I just wanted to know if I should get them... and how they compare to my Alessandro MS-1s?
confused.gif
Are they worth it for around $38 USD?

THANKS!

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got to Hong Kong and realized that they are actually selling these "budget" headphones and now I REALLY want them LOL

So I just wanted to know if I should get them... and how they compare to my Alessandro MS-1s?
confused.gif
Are they worth it for around $38 USD?

THANKS!

They worth the 38$ but they cant compare with the Alessandro's. I could say that comparing them its like comparing kid's stuff (porta's) with grown up stuff (MS1); but then again they are almost 3 times cheaper.

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Hope you like bass
basshead.gif
!

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 14
I wouldn't skip it. The PortaPro has its own sterling quality - deep, powerful bass. You can spend $100 more on headphones and not get the kind of bass blow the PortaPro will produce. It responds great to an amp, too, making the bass deeper and tighter. IMHO, there is nothing in a portable that even comes close to the bass on this thing.

Totally different than an MS-1 and different enough from the KSC75 to make it worth the purchase. The PortaPro is one of those classic headphones that everyone should have - it hasn't changed in 20? years.

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 14
The Porta Pro is one of the best values in all of audio. They are one of the only devices that has survived almost unchanged over the above mentioned 20 year period.

The next logical step up would be the Grado/MS-1 class which are arguably better, but different.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 14
LOL but the point is I already directly upgraded to the MS-1... so I guess I should buy it just for the fact of buying it. LOL How do they compare to the KSC-75?

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 14
They are more or less the same as the KSC75. The KSC75s have the titanium coated drivers, which make them a little brighter than the PortaPro. The headband on the PortaPro presses the drivers closer to your ears and makes them sound a bit bassier than the KSC75.

At $40, I don't know, is having a KSC75 on a headband really worth that much to you? Save the $40 towards funding some of the wants in your sig...

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $40, I don't know, is having a KSC75 on a headband really worth that much to you? Save the $40 towards funding some of the wants in your sig...

The PortaPro is a neat can, but I agree, unless you want a beater can of some sort, put that $40 towards other things you would want (an amp, or go higher up on the chain, heck maybe even a different headphone), especially if you have an MS-1 already.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are more or less the same as the KSC75. The KSC75s have the titanium coated drivers, which make them a little brighter than the PortaPro. The headband on the PortaPro presses the drivers closer to your ears and makes them sound a bit bassier than the KSC75.

I agree with most of this except that they would sound the same, to me ksc75 has definetly better detail and sounds a lot more "real" the only reason for you to buy the PortaPro is for you just to have them for the fun of it, which is reason enought for a head-fier though
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Porta Pro is one of the best values in all of audio. They are one of the only devices that has survived almost unchanged over the above mentioned 20 year period.

The next logical step up would be the Grado/MS-1 class which are arguably better, but different.

I just picked up one from a buddy. They were my first high end can when I was like 10. But in any case, it is a great can for the price. They don't compare to the Grados, but that would be the next logical step as tbonner1 mentioned.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 14
I would say, pick them up, but dont expect them to be some kind of über can, they are WELL worth the price, but there certainly are better headphones, but maybe not for that price! (According to me
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back