Koss PortaPro vs Sennheiser PX100 vs iGrado?
Feb 12, 2011 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read conflicting things about the PortaPro vs the PX100. When assessed individually, people tend to say the PortaPro is dark and muddy, bassy and has somewhat rolled off highs. When the PX100 is assessed individually it is said to be dark as well, and laid back and lush...etc... But when those two are compared the PX100 is described as darker than the PortaPro.

So is it that they're both dark but the PX100 is VERY dark? Confusing matters further, I've heard both of these also described as bright on occasion.

So how do they REALLY compare to each other, and against an actually bright headphone like the iGrado?

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
I've read conflicting things about the PortaPro vs the PX100. When assessed individually, people tend to say the PortaPro is dark and muddy, bassy and has somewhat rolled off highs. When the PX100 is assessed individually it is said to be dark as well, and laid back and lush...etc... But when those two are compared the PX100 is described as darker than the PortaPro.

So is it that they're both dark but the PX100 is VERY dark? Confusing matters further, I've heard both of these also described as bright on occasion.

So how do they REALLY compare to each other, and against an actually bright headphone like the iGrado?

For my ears, when I had PX100's I had to bump up the upper mids (2k-6k) because they sounded muddy.....they sounded fine after that was done. I have Portapros now, and using the same player, suddenly I don't need to use any EQ, they sound just right. I haven't heard the iGrado.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 11
I haven't listened PX100. I do prefer my quarted modded iGrados (cut pads a bit to get rid of "veiled" bass) over PortaPro, though. Compared to my SR325is it gives me about ~80% of full Grado experience. It's definitely feels bassier than SR125 though mids seem less detailed.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Every headphone has its virtues.  While some headphones just flat-out suck, different designs produce their own kind of excellence.  To me, the PortaPro has an ingenious design.  It's all so minimalist, and yet so terrific within a minimalist framework.  These are headphones with a nothing headband, a nothing shell and very tiny "nothing" cushions - yet they sound surprisingly good for something made from "nothing."

Can you get better headphones?  Yeah, of course, but probably not at this price and with this amazing portability.  These headphones are made to be literally folded up and put in your pocket.  Now, how can you make them BETTER?  Here's what you do:

1. Mod the cushions by pinching out a hole in the center of their minimalist padding.  You'll get clearer, crisper, HF.

2. Cable up.  The cable on these is minimal, which means there's impedance fighting you from the outset.  Flimsy wire merits an upgrade.  Even ordinary speaker wire, terminated with a $5 plug, will give you stronger bass.

3. Believe it or not, the PortaPro can be woodied.  A little wood would bring out more warmth and slam in the delivery.  Absent that, you should take some Dynamat and deaden the metal on the back.  This will give you less mud and better detail.

The iGrado uses the same drivers as the SR60 but with one catch.  The shells aren't really shells.  In the first iteration, they weren't even "open."  They were made to look like shells while actually enclosing the entire shell in plastic.  Not surprisingly, they lacked something when compared to the SR60.  Can these drivers be fixed?  Yes, with similar mods as above:

1. Mod the cushions by pinching out a hole in the center to make the sound clearer and more open.

2. Get rid of that flimsy cable.  Yes, Grado says it's using UHPLC wire, but if you'll look at the gauge of the wire, it's pitiful.  The best copper in the world is of little use if there's no gauge to it.   Cable up.  Even standard 24 awg wire would be a step up, especially if you went with a four-wire braid so you could split the groundwire.  A short four-foot cable using something as simple as CAT5 cable (unsheathed) would give you very low impedance and improved signal clarity.

3. Separate the driver housing from the plastic rear shell, then drill through it to create a real event.  Then take a small piece of Dynamat or other commercial damping and really damp that back plate.  You'll immediately notice better detail in the mids and treble.

I don't know beans about the PX1000 so I'll leave that issue to someone else.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 11
I've got the PX100 and I have heard the PortaPro. Overall I would say that I prefer the PX100 over the PoraPro. There is something about the PrtaPro sound that does not agree with me. It might be that the mids sound "hollow" in some way. The PX100 is much more airy and dark sounding. I have never heard the iGrado, so I cannot comment on that one.

Another headphone in the same category is the AKG K420. I own that, and to my ears it beats both the PortaPro and the PX100. The sound is more on the energetic side just like the PortaPro, but the K420 sound less hollow to me. Maybe not as detailed as the more airy PX100, but they definitively get your feet tapping. The K420 look nice and fold up nicely. Also, if your hair is longer than 1 mm, it will not get caught as on the PortaPro.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 11
I own a PortaPro and have listened to a PX100.  To my ears, the PP sounds a fair bit muddier in the treble.  I haven't heard the iGrado.

To bring another headphone into the discussion, I definitely like my wife's KSC75 more than my PortaPros - they offer a much more balanced sound, much more pleasant in the higher freqs.  I haven't A/B compared the KSC75 to the PX100, so can't comment on this, but the price difference between them is significant proportionally, if not absolutely.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Try some 414 pads quarter modded on the PX100's.
It opens them up nicely. More comfy too!!

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 11
I had the px100 and portapro. Prefer the portapro ,but the px100 is more balanced.
both are excellent.
I use to recommend the portapro over px100 because of counterfeits, but there are now fake portapros.

I'd say Igrado since there is a near zero of a chance you'd get a counterfeit compared to the other 2.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 11
BTW guys, there is a new portable in town from new company, its the Aiaiai Tracks, I've been told by a headphone dealer that he prefers these new phones to both the portapro and the senn hd25-II, plus its cheaper.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 11
There is also the V-Jays and Fischer Audio Oldskool 70's. I've got the V-Jays, but I prefer my AKG K420 to them. The V-Jays are still nice if you find them for a good price...

When it comes to these light weight open portable phones, being able to fold them is a plus. In that respect the PX 100 wins, closely followed by the K420 and with the PortaPro in third place.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Here you go: http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back