Koss Porta-Pro !!
Oct 2, 2023 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
I entered this hobby many years ago, and I came across Porta-Pro since whenever it was. Today, I got into it again, just because I wanted some High-Quality, High-fidelity phones for my children!

First thing first, I guess, Porta-Pro is very portable, small, flimsy looking, but it is very demanding of power. You will want something of adequate power to drive it And to squeeze the better out of it. I am giving my kids my older Dx300 players and I tried other more common stuff, but looking at them, I could only shook my head. They are not only overpriced in comparison, but is also pale in performances in bass articulation, details separation and layering.

Yes, it doesn’t have the soundstage as I would like , and I like 800S soundstage. But just look at the price, the form, the portability. It is an insane choice for kids to start out their music loving journey. They can now be telling the parts within their music and gears with less confusions :)

IMG_6585.jpeg

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 14
Those are value for money winners for headphones. I've had many in the $100+ range that aren't as good. If you want to get them ear buds, the Yincrow X6 at $10 on AliExpress are just as good a value. I keep a pair just for sending to relatives.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 14
I bought the Porta Pro just for fun, to see what the fuzz is all about. Sometimes I want a headphone/IEM/earbud just to have it in my collection (like the Fiio FF5).
To be honest. I am speechless. These headphones sound truly amazing. I payed 31,- euro and I can’t believe what I got.
I use them with Apple music and with rock I use the Apple eq setting “more highs”. I can’t believe what I am hearing. What I am about to say sounds ridiculous but of all my headphones these sound the best with Guns n Roses (who I love). I kid you not. I enjoy listening to GnR more on the Porta Pro than on my Denon AH-D5200 or Grado SR325X which cost me 599,- and 399,-. What is wrong with me? Ok, they also sound great with classic pop but not as good as my other headphones but rock, especially Guns n Roses….unbelievable.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 14
I got my first of Porta Pros in about 1986?! Yeah, back then it was a revelation. I still own a set for odds and ends because I use IEMs for the most part.

You should try the

Koss KPH30iRB

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 14
I got my first of Porta Pros in about 1986?! Yeah, back then it was a revelation. I still own a set for odds and ends because I use IEMs for the most part.

You should try the

Koss KPH30iRB

Can you tell me how they are different? Well, the price isn’t an issue😂

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 14
My local Amazon has the KPH-30iK. Is that the same? And is the KPH40 (a lot) better? Price difference is 15,- euro.
I will not putt my other headphones/IEM’s away for the Porta Pro butt when I am going to listen to GnR they will definitely be the first choice.

cheers…

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 14
I bought the Porta Pro red, which was 31,- euro. All the other wired Porta Pro’s cost 47,95 or more. Is the red different?

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 14
Far as I can tell all the Porta Pros are the same. The 30i is just a slightly different tuning than the pros.. you may enjoy it. I do think the pros fit better but a lot of audiophiles like the 30is a bit more.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Those are value for money winners for headphones. I've had many in the $100+ range that aren't as good. If you want to get them ear buds, the Yincrow X6 at $10 on AliExpress are just as good a value. I keep a pair just for sending to relatives.
I suggest the QIGOM In-Ear Wired Flat-Head Earphones - Classic Design with Enhanced Bass, 3.5mm Stereo Hi-Fi Earphones.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Far as I can tell all the Porta Pros are the same. The 30i is just a slightly different tuning than the pros.. you may enjoy it. I do think the pros fit better but a lot of audiophiles like the 30is a bit more.
Audiophiles like the Koss KPH30i more? Sure, if you like headphones that break in a couple hours. That's not a good choice for kiddos.

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Portapro was what got me into the hobby when I was a teenager at school actually. Regardless of how they stack up now, they are still my preffered exercise headphone, as iem's just fall out and over ear headphones get too hot and sweaty, nothing beats the lightweight, secure fit and sound package of the portapro. I have upgraded a few with cables that cost way more than the headphones themselves, they each sound more different than I expected.

In the Pic-
Left: Portapro anniversary edition with mundorf 99% silver 1% gold 4.4mm.
Bottom: portapro with copper T2 litz 4.4mm.
Top: portapro swapped with ksc-75 drivers (titanium coated), with copper T2 Litz 4.4mm.
Right: portapro 25th anniversary re terminated with aftermarket 3.5mm.

Attachments

• 20231120_094002.jpg
    20231120_094002.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Portapro was what got me into the hobby when I was a teenager at school actually. Regardless of how they stack up now, they are still my preffered exercise headphone, as iem's just fall out and over ear headphones get too hot and sweaty, nothing beats the lightweight, secure fit and sound package of the portapro. I have upgraded a few with cables that cost way more than the headphones themselves, they each sound more different than I expected.

In the Pic-
Left: Portapro anniversary edition with mundorf 99% silver 1% gold 4.4mm.
Bottom: portapro with copper T2 litz 4.4mm.
Top: portapro swapped with ksc-75 drivers (titanium coated), with copper T2 Litz 4.4mm.
Right: portapro 25th anniversary re terminated with aftermarket 3.5mm.
Wow, somebody... (you) loves the PP! Koss should give you a special gift for that.

Are all your cables expensive like the silver/gold? I really like the idea of soldering a cable into a speaker instead of mmcx'ing it like everybody else. The look is so clean and "original".... and hi-end...looking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back