Koss PLUG Mods... WHOA!!!
Jun 16, 2006 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate to create a new thread on such a HATED and DESPISED headphone... But I really feel the need to voice myself on this
biggrin.gif
... please don't lynch, tar, feather me..? I also am guilty of bad-mouthing these wretched headphones, in stock form.

Im SHOCKED how good these cheap plugs can sound with some simple and cheap mods.

I have done the mod to both the white spark plug and the older, original plug and IMHO the older version plug is noticeably better. I think they tuned the driver diaphragm and enclosure differently on the newer white spark-plug. The spark plug is MUCH bassier and the highs are no-where near as detailed. To my ears, the older plug is a MUCH better phone... worthy of head-fi-ness
biggrin.gif
IMHO the white spark-plug is not worth your time... even for $5.

Deep bass thats controlled and resonant. Forward mids that are rich in detail. Treble thats crisp and detailed. Upper mids and treble can be fine-tuned to taste... read-on my friends
biggrin.gif

Anyways... Heres my pic... You can't tell from this pic but I have added a small foam piece in the modded ear-tube. It helps to tame the highs, and it also serves as a wax-filter. Cool thing is you can tune the highs according to taste. I used a KSC75 earpad foam and cut it into small cubes of various size. If you cram a larger foam cube into the tube, it filters more of the highs and makes the phone sound more distant. Smaller tube-filters (or no filters at all), give it a very bright and aggressive sound thats super-detailed. I found no-filter to be piercing and too bright for my tastes.

Basically you cut off the stock sound-tube, and super-glue a tube of larger inner-diameter in its place. Once the glue dries, use a dremel and smooth out the sound outlet port so there are no jagged edges. From there slip on a shure e2c tip of your choice.

Before you tar, feather and send me to the cookoos' nest, my cans of reference are my MDR-EX90, jays D-Jays prototype, shure e2c, and Koss KSC75. IMHO the modded plugs are certainly on par with those much more expensice portable cans.

Jun 16, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 54
I was able to find the tube at a local radio-controlled hobby shop. Airplanes and helicopters use this stuff for all kinds of things.

Heres a place on-line...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/carbonfiber.htm

You have to be carefull with the stuff... it crushes easily in a vice. Found that out the hard way
biggrin.gif
. Your best bet is to just hold it steady and brace it in your hand on the workbench and trim / cut it with a dremel. Use the standard cut-off wheel.

I can't really recommend it for those in the market for a new headphone. But if you have a koss plug already, and are at your witts end trying to get a decent sound out of them... For ~$10 it just might save you from throwing your plugs in the trash.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 54
Ha! Thats cool! Good thread, and good idea kramer5150. I have an old pair of Koss Plugs from ~3 years ago that have found themselves stuffed away in the old-tech stuff between old hard drives and soundcards and forgotten about, replaced with more head-fi worthy material. I may just break them out and try this mod though for the fun of it
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 54
Thought I'd bump this thread and make it more of a DIY tutorial... Enjoy!!

Use a sharp knife and pry the cans apart.... HERE... right next to the cable strain relief. If you choose to pry elsewhere you run the risk of cutting the tiny lead-in wires inside the driver housing.
dscn77193sj.jpg

dscn77211we.jpg

Use caution throughout the procedure and avoid cutting the rubber adhesive... HERE.
dscn77241sd.jpg

This little bead of glue protects the thin lead-in wires. If you cut the wires your driver will be toast.

Use a sharp knife to grasp the metal part of the driver housing. Carefully pry the driver apart from the housing, working your way around the perimeter. Again, use caution and avoid cutting the lead-wires(!!) This here is the part that houses the small driver magnet/motor assembly. Be carefull, you dont want your knife to slip and pull up on the small green PC board.
dscn77235im.jpg

Here are all the parts. You can see the modded sound tube. I used a dremel and removed the paint prior to glue-ing it with super-glue. That way the glue would stick better to the base plastic. Be carefull, the little magnets want to attract screws and stuff on your workbench. Try and keep the drivers away from hard metal objects... they'll damage the driver diapharagm.
dscn77267gz.jpg

Close-up of the modded sound tube outlet. use a Dremel and smooth the outlet, remove any jagged edges and round over any corners. For those of you into RC cars, its just like port-tuning your engine exhaust header... youre increasing laminar flow through the duct... reducing turbulence and standing waves.
dscn77273qx.jpg

I cut up an old radio shack earpad and made some small earwax filters. The filters keep earwax out of the enclosure, and help to attenuate the highs. Cool thing is you can make bigger or smaller filters to attenuate more or less of the highs. Experiment, fine tune to taste
biggrin.gif

dscn77289hq.jpg

dscn77299iq.jpg

Use a toothpick and gently push the foam into the tube so its flush with the tube edge. The foam doesn't need to be WAY inside the tube... just so its flush with the opening.
dscn77389cd.jpg

Slide the driver back into the housing.
dscn77325yj.jpg

As an optional mod you can add a couple layers of masking tape and fully enclose the back of the housing. This increases isolation and gives the driver a compressable volume of air behind it. Essentially youre tuning a small volume of air behind the driver, this increases bass impact. Gives the headphone a more "heavy-thud-like" sounding kind of bass, yet doesn't sacrifice too much extension.
dscn77333sd.jpg

dscn77349xe.jpg

Carefully snap the housing back together. Make sure you align the small lead-wire clearance notch with the lead-wires. if you don't you run the risk of severing the lead-wires.
dscn77370tc.jpg

Thare you have it!! I prefer shure e2c tips with mine.
dscn77392xs.jpg

Hopefully some of you will find this usefull. I'm willing to bet these concepts can be used on other phones as well.

Buy Low / Mod High!!
Garrett

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
Very nice!

I should go find my clunky white version of a plug and try this out.

Go for it.... To my ears the white plug has a lot more bass than the older blue/silver/purple version. Which I find strange because the driver diaphragms look IDENTICAL, except for the voice coil epoxy.

????

Jun 23, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 54
Cool, very nice job, Kramer. You make new ideas to sparkle in my mind!
What is the inner diameter of the new tube?

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baycode
Cool, very nice job, Kramer. You make new ideas to sparkle in my mind!
What is the inner diameter of the new tube?

Im using 4mm inner diameter. But I imagine anything larger than the stock opening is a step in the right direction.

Garrett

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 54
I'm so glad I clicked to read this thread. I just so happens that I've got a pair of the old blue plugs that I stopped listening to long ago because I didn't like the sound too much. So now I've really got nothing to lose with those so I'm definitely going to try this mod....especially since I've already got the carbon fiber tubing from my rc helis at home!! Too cool, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back