Koss KSC75 vs Porta Pro?
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ckjay316

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at these two headphones as the best "beginner" audiophile headphones because of the low price.
Does anyone know how they differ in sound?
From what I've heard so far, the Porta Pros sound relatively warmer.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I have never heard the KSC75 but i have a pair of portapros just for listening to stuff(anime) in bed, and they are -very- boomy. They arent bad sounding headphones but i wouldn't use them for any serious listening and 'warm' sounds like an understatement to me

Just my 2cents. I don't have a ton of pairs of headphones to compare to (mostly HD6xx and cheap superlux)

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Both use the same drivers. The difference is that the KSC-75 is coated with titanium and it lends a sparkle to the response. Bass is big, but not overly-boomy. Midrange is great and the high-end has a lot of sparkle. In addition, the KSC-75 is extremely efficient. Simply put, the KSC-75 is the best buy in headphones, period. You have to spend ten times as much to get equivalent performance.

The PortaPro pre-dates the KSC-75 by a couple of decades. For years, it was the finest portable headphone available. With the typically bass-shy (before Mega-Bass) cassette and CD walkmans, the PortaPro gave tremendous bass and slam. It was as good as you could get for the price. Even though it uses the same drivers as the KSC-75, it does not have the titanium coating. In addition, the PortaPro uses the headband and temple cushion to apply much greater force to the ears as opposed to the simple ear clips of the KSC-75. The result is even more emphasized bass, with very little high-end sparkle.

Note that Koss also made the KSC-35. It was the exact PortaPro drivers in an ear-clip format like the KSC-75. Unfortunately, it only resulted in a bit less bass emphasis, but still - no sparkle. Since it was a slight improvement over the PortaPro, and because they basically quit making them after coming up with the KSC-75, it got an undeserved cult status. It is not worth pursuing, IMHO.

As things progressed in headphone audio, the PortaPro did not. These days, they are - comparitively speaking - boomy, with over-bloated bass and not much sparkle or detail.

Buy the KSC-75. Everyone should have at least one pair. I have several. The only downside are those funky silver caps on the drivers. However, Massdrop made a special version that was all black. They look as good as they sound, but either one will sound just as good.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for the detailed response! I ordered the KSC75 a few days ago as my first "audiophile headphone," and the Porta Pro seemed like a good alternative because of its headband. Guess I'll stick to the KSC75 instead :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back