Koss KSC75 vs. KSC35
Sep 20, 2005 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JMWarren

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I'm still on the fence as to which of the above to buy. I've read a number of post and not reached a conclusion. I've also been informed that the KSC75's are being discontinued.

Thanks

Mike

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 22
Mike, as far as I know the 35s have already been dicontinued. The 75's still seem to be available (from Headroom for example) and an email to a distributor might confirm that.

Sonically I can't say that I notice any huge difference but I would say I prefer the sound of the 35s and the comfort of the 75s. This is all a moot point since the right driver of my 35s crapped out yesterday after only three months and I'm now stuck with sending them back to Koss who will most likely replace them with a pair of 75s (as others have experienced this recently).

HTH,

Nate

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 22
I've also had both the 35's and the 75's, and I agree that the 35's sound a bit better, but not by much. But they are not very sturdy, the clips of my 35's kept coming off and eventually I lost one of them. So now I use the 75's, and for half the price of the 35's, I think they're pretty good. They are also more comfortable.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 22
A long time ago I had the Koss 35 a few times and could never deal with the comfort that they offered. The sound didn't matter much when you just can't use the ear phones. Then years later now to be exact I bought the Koss 75 and boy what a big difference in comfort.

I use the 75 with my portable radio and think they sound great for that use.

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 22
in my experience, KSC-75 clips can be adjusted for better comfort. but they also fall off from the phones pretty easily (the clips are detachable). Ksc-35 is not much less comfortable on my ears, and it's also lighter and better looking. Soundwise, they are comparable. I would choose Ksc35 if i have to pick one.
you can get the 35 from ebay for $20 plus shipping.
ksc-35 ebay

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 22
I have the KSC75s and I usually can't tell that I have them on most of the time, they're extremely light and very comfortable. On a side note, why does everybody think that the 75s are ugly? I actually think they look beter than the 35s and that the 35s look kind of Grado-like and cheap/old/run-down, just my opinion though.

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228
I would choose Ksc35 if i have to pick one.
you can get the 35 from ebay for $20 plus shipping.
ksc-35 ebay

That's how I got mine a few months ago. Sound great! I almost think they sound better than my more expensive portaPro's, which have the same driver!

Sep 22, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 22
I like my KSC35's a little better. To me they just seem to have a littler fuller sound to them. The fit of the KSC35 is a little tighter to my ear and I believe the foam pad is a little thinner. The KSC35 comes with a nice little pouch to pack them in also. I've had 2 sets, the first went bad and Koss replaced them with new KSC75's. IMO both are bargains.

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 22
Quick bump, as I've just got my KSC-35. Straight out of the box, immediate impression was a load more bass than my KSC-75. After about 30 hours burn-in, there's still a ton of bass. Between the two at the moment I prefer the 75s for sound quality, but the 35s comfort is just fine, completely reversed to the usual opinions here. Any thoughts?

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Quick bump, as I've just got my KSC-35. Straight out of the box, immediate impression was a load more bass than my KSC-75. After about 30 hours burn-in, there's still a ton of bass. Between the two at the moment I prefer the 75s for sound quality, but the 35s comfort is just fine, completely reversed to the usual opinions here. Any thoughts?

That would be in line with general impressions - the KSC-35 keeps the driver closer to your ear, so like grado flats, you'll get more bass. The KSC-75 has a looser fit so more bass escapes. Comfier being not as tight, but you sacrifice some of that ghetto koss bass action.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That would be in line with general impressions - the KSC-35 keeps the driver closer to your ear, so like grado flats, you'll get more bass. The KSC-75 has a looser fit so more bass escapes. Comfier being not as tight, but you sacrifice some of that ghetto koss bass action.

Hm. Think I can just keep with the 75s then, all that extra bass on the 35s really does drown out the sweet mids you get with the 75s. Bit disappointed really, it's not usual here that people who say "better SQ" mean "more bass to the exclusion of all else". At least it means that my preferred cheap portable can is easily available, rather than having to search far and wide for a replacement
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Hm. Think I can just keep with the 75s then, all that extra bass on the 35s really does drown out the sweet mids you get with the 75s. Bit disappointed really, it's not usual here that people who say "better SQ" mean "more bass to the exclusion of all else". At least it means that my preferred cheap portable can is easily available, rather than having to search far and wide for a replacement
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, better SQ is subjective and depends on the situation. for instance, portable tunes on the go get drowned out by ambient noise, and the first thing to disappear is the bass. also, most portable cans like buds have zero bass. so the KSC-35 fills a nice niche by being small and bassy and still supraaural - and still sounding good. Of course what i like in a portable rig isn't always what i want in the quiet of my home - that includes preferences for amps too. amps i want a forward mid-heavy amp to cut thru portable situations, while at home i want airy detail and an even presentation across the board.

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yeah, better SQ is subjective and depends on the situation. for instance, portable tunes on the go get drowned out by ambient noise, and the first thing to disappear is the bass. also, most portable cans like buds have zero bass. so the KSC-35 fills a nice niche by being small and bassy and still supraaural - and still sounding good. Of course what i like in a portable rig isn't always what i want in the quiet of my home - that includes preferences for amps too. amps i want a forward mid-heavy amp to cut thru portable situations, while at home i want airy detail and an even presentation across the board.

A very good point - it may be that when I listen to these on the move they'll surpass the 75s. I'll try that before I write them off
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back