Koss KSC-75 v. Audio Technica ATH-EM7 GM? Also considering MEelec M9
Jan 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MoSXS

100+ Head-Fier
So I've had the Koss KSC-75 for awhile. It's actually my second pair. The sound quality on the first pair seemed to deteriorate with age after a few years and now the second pair seems to be doing the same. It just seems to get muffled with time. For the price though, it's hard to complain even if they only give you 2-3 years of good sound.

But I'm wondering how the Audio Technica ATH-EM7 sounds versus the Koss?

I'm a bit of an Audio Technica fan. I have A500s that still sound amazing after 6 years. I have some FC7s that I've never really used, but I like. They're just too big to be "portable", even though they do fold. I've had a couple of Grado and Sennheiser sets over the years and I wasn't really a fan of what I heard. I still have the Grado SR-60s and they're just sitting unused unfortunately.

I'm generally not a fan of things in my ears, but I'm willing to give either some Audio Technica IEMs a try, or the M9s since they're so cheap.

But I'm really interested in how the KSC-75 and ATH-EM7 stack up against each other, since I'd rather have clip-ons. Anyone here ever own the two?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Most of the music I listen to these days is metal and stuff like Sully Erna's "Avalon". Sources would be iPhone 4 and iPod nano 6G assuming I ever get one that doesn't have a defect (back out for repair again, first time sleep/wake button died and now this time the glue around the screen was starting to fail causing separation).

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 2
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/424109/best-clip-ons-yuin-g1a-ath-ew9-ksc-35km-modded-ksc-35-yuin-g2a-mdr-q68lw-diy-grado-clip-ons-ksc-75

The ath-em7 will be extremely bass light compared to the Ksc75, both are detailed analytical headphones with the ath-em7 having a bit overpowering treble, the IEMs will be better for portability however since you have been using the Ksc75 without issue it will work out fine whatever you pick. Anyways you should also have a look at the Yuin g2a and G1A, those are also good options for clip ons.
I've heard lots of good things about the MEElectronics m9 but it is in a different price range from the $50 ATH-EM7.
Also compared to the Ksc75 (If you bent the clip) the ATH-EM7 will be much more comfortable and light on your ear, The bass is probably lost due to the same fit so its a trade off of sound quality for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back