Koss KSC-75 - Holy Crap!
Jul 1, 2005 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jschneid

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am a long time lurker here but first time poster. Anyway, I was cruising through Circuit City today and saw the much lauded KSC-75 sitting alone on the shelf amidst the plethora of Sony junk. Being aware of its reputation here, I forked over the 20 bucks and went to the local coffee shop to give them a run through the Ipod...

Holy Crap! I took them off a couple times to make sure they were really only 20 dollar clip-on phones. They sound amazing for the price!
basshead.gif

I listend to Rush, DJ Tiesto, John Mayer, and Radiohead and they all sounded great. The bass is ever so slightly thick and loud, but it works with the overall sound of the phone. Koss corp., I salute you.

Josh

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 41
Yeah, these are highly regarded around here and justifiably so. I have portapros and they sound so much better than any headphones that come with pcdps it's just unreal.
Glad you like them.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 41
I just ruined the pads on my ksc75. Good thing I work at Circuit City. W/ the employee discount I can get another pair for around 12 bux. Hehe. And they do sound amazing.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 41
congrats! and if they sound too thick/bassy, cut a hole in the pads!

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jschneid
Holy Crap! I took them off a couple times to make sure they were really only 20 dollar clip-on phones. They sound amazing for the price!
basshead.gif

My reaction exactly!

Wait 'til you couple them with an amp. I think Kramer5150 often suggests PA2. The batteries in my SR71 died once, and I listened without an amp for the first time last week. It was like, "Who turned off the lights?"

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 41
Enjoy!! theyre a great sounding can for the $$$... heck theyre just a great sounding can. Forget the fact that theyre only $15.

Amp em and reward yourself with sonic mayhem. PA2 if you want bass slam and midrange impact, go vibe if you want transparency, spatial separation and treble sparkle, cmoy if you want something in between... at least my cmoys are similar to the go-vibe but dont quite have the treble sparkle.

Listening to some liquid tension experiment as I type... amped with a go-vibe.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Modded they come scarry close to an SR60, with a bit less Grado midrange snarl.

I would really like to hear these mated with a $2000 amp and a $1000 source. I wonder if theres more potential waiting to be unleashed.

Garrett

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 41
The left driver of my KSC75 started buzzing after nine months of use and I don't know why.

Best to return it to koss...can't do without these babies functioning right.

I'm glad that you enjoy your koss headphones as much as I do, however.

They really are the best kept secret in popular consumer headphones.

-Matt

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 41
LOL, I started modding the pads with the quarter holes and bending the wires to fit my ears better. Now and I am kind of intrigued about how they will sound amped. I noticed that many people mention the Cmoy amp as a good bargain option. I really dont want to drop 2 bills for the Headroom Airhead, can you guys give me some advice about where to pick up a Cmoy for a good price?

I have some HD555s on order that will be arriving in a week or so for home use. Would the Cmoy be able to pull double duty with my HD555s with the home stereo? I have a feeling my wallet is going to get lighter in the near future
blink.gif

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jschneid
LOL, I started modding the pads with the quarter holes and bending the wires to fit my ears better. Now and I am kind of intrigued about how they will sound amped. I noticed that many people mention the Cmoy amp as a good bargain option. I really dont want to drop 2 bills for the Headroom Airhead, can you guys give me some advice about where to pick up a Cmoy for a good price?

I have some HD555s on order that will be arriving in a week or so for home use. Would the Cmoy be able to pull double duty with my HD555s with the home stereo? I have a feeling my wallet is going to get lighter in the near future
blink.gif

Thanks.

I just made my own following the tutorial on the tangentsoft site. Took me 3 tries to finally get it right. I have one of guzzlers G-moys and theyre all good little amps for the $$$. not quite as much treble sparkle as a govibe, not as much bass impact as a PA2.

Garrett

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
congrats! and if they sound too thick/bassy, cut a hole in the pads!

Interrelated bump in detail to!
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 41
I forget that my Ksc35's were such a bargain! - Who'd have thought something so cheap could sound so good?, they're now my 'pod phones and a very happy combo they are too!
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 41
So these are awesome portable clip ons? My cousin is using the stock iPod buds, and I am wondering if this is a good replacement (cheap too!).

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 41
Yes they are. There is a world of difference between the stock buds and the ksc- 35/75/55/portapro/sportapro series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back