Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 354
Those g cusions are huge, lol. I like the look :thumbsup:.

KPH30i definitely benefits from creating some distance from the driver. Stock pads make them sound too dark.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #19 of 354
This look dope. Any guide out there of how safely teardown these bad boys?

I seen a pic of them apart on hifi guides, it looks like the headband can be simply pulled from the driver / earpieces. Its similar to how the ksc75 and portapro can be dismantled.

I have never tried taking mine apart.

Here is the pic (not mine):
IMG_20190717_133302.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 354
Is it possible to fit the KSC75 drivers onto them? This would be marked improvement on the PE headband if it did (cosmetically, at least and possibly reliability?)

How's the clamp force on them?

Am I right in assuming that they are the same non Ti-coated drivers as the ones found in S/PortaPro and KSC35?

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #22 of 354
Crazy pad experiment with kph30i!

Pads are cheap not-genuine Grado G cushions, and they fit quite well actually. Of course little cut for cable would be necessary but these are for my Grados so I won't be doing that. But oh boy how they sound! Much bigger soundstage width and depth, whole sound is more clear since there's nothing covering the grill. Surprisingly sound signature is still pretty much the same but less veiled. Bass is very clean and punchy! I really might have to buy another set of these pads, just for kph30i.

I didn't really grok the hugeness of these pads...

20191021_162423_resized.jpg

20191021_163203_resized.jpg

I do now lol!

But I kinda like them. And they do appear to be more comfy.

Now for some listening! :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #23 of 354
Pads are cheap not-genuine Grado G cushions, and they fit quite well actually. Of course little cut for cable would be necessary but these are for my Grados so I won't be doing that. But oh boy how they sound! Much bigger soundstage width and depth, whole sound is more clear since there's nothing covering the grill. Surprisingly sound signature is still pretty much the same but less veiled. Bass is very clean and punchy! I really might have to buy another set of these pads, just for kph30i.

Ok, I've only been listening to the KPH30i's and Grado huGe pads for a bit, but is it safe to say that I'm kind of blown away with how they sound now. Your description above is spot on. This indeed takes the KPH30i sound to a whole new level :)

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #24 of 354
Ok, I've only been listening to the KPH30i's and Grado huGe pads for a bit, but is it safe to say that I'm kind of blown away with how they sound now. Your description above is spot on. This indeed takes the KPH30i sound to a whole new level :)
Cool, you got them pretty quickly! G pads are indeed pretty huGe. I'm still waiting for my pair. Awesome that you find the sound pleasing!:L3000:

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #25 of 354
Cool, you got them pretty quickly! G pads are indeed pretty huGe. I'm still waiting for my pair. Awesome that you find the sound pleasing!:L3000:

Yup, still blown away with how great they sound with those pads. And an added bonus is that they are much more comfy than the stock pads (and judging from my avatar, my dog thinks so as well - or not lol).

It's not likely I'll be wearing them out in public with the huGe pads, but I only use them around the home anyway.

One observation is that they take a lot more juice to push them with the huGE pads. My Samsung S9 + ES100 combo needs to be cranked right up, but they sound awesome (and even more so off my desktop SDAC/Spark combo).

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #26 of 354
Yup, still blown away with how great they sound with those pads. And an added bonus is that they are much more comfy than the stock pads (and judging from my avatar, my dog thinks so as well - or not lol).

It's not likely I'll be wearing them out in public with the huGe pads, but I only use them around the home anyway.

One observation is that they take a lot more juice to push them with the huGE pads. My Samsung S9 + ES100 combo needs to be cranked right up, but they sound awesome (and even more so off my desktop SDAC/Spark combo).
Nice avatar! :beyersmile: My exact thoughts, needs quite a bit more volume with G pads. Same thing with my Grados with G pads. Kph30i feels like super light full-size headphone with those G pads and sounds indeed outstanding. :L3000:

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #28 of 354

My second pair of huGe Grado pads arrived today! Fits very well with a little cut made for cable. I'm repeating myself, but kph30i sounds SO GOOD with these pads. Sound is so spacious, warm and unveiled. Seriously fun and pleasant sound! Comfort is also very good!

The SQ with these pads is now officially ridiculous for the price. I'm glad I jumped on your recommendation!

I'm not sure why they don't sell them with larger pads (or maybe they do, and call them something else?).

p.s. nice pic. They don't look nearly as huGe in your photo lol

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #29 of 354
The SQ with these pads is now officially ridiculous for the price. I'm glad I jumped on your recommendation!

I'm not sure why they don't sell them with larger pads (or maybe they do, and call them something else?).

p.s. nice pic. They don't look nearly as huGe in your photo lol
I believe kph30i drivers are exactly same as porta pro drivers. That same driver could be used also in some other Koss headphones. That driver sure has potential. I don't know if you've read stuff about this famous overpriced Altmann Tera-Player, but it's been said that this particular dap is tuned for Koss Porta Pro (kramer modded). Sounds absurd that 3300€ dap is made for 30€ headphones... But as we hear with kph30i, driver has the potential to sound really good. :ksc75smile:

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 354
I believe kph30i drivers are exactly same as porta pro drivers. That same driver could be used also in some other Koss headphones. That driver sure has potential. I don't know if you've read stuff about this famous overpriced Altmann Tera-Player, but it's been said that this particular dap is tuned for Koss Porta Pro (kramer modded). Sounds absurd that 3300€ dap is made for 30€ headphones... But as we hear with kph30i, driver has the potential to sound really good. :ksc75smile:

I did not realize that the drivers are the same as the portapros. I have the sportapros (on PE headband), and I thought they sound different, but as this person put it.. "The sound of this driver changes significantly depending on clamping force and positioning on the ear". That is obviously true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back