KOSS KDE-250 Owners club - The privileged few...
Nov 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
So, are there any of you out there? I know only a couple of people in the world who have owned these and even fewer who kept them. I recently got mine, and it surprises me that these haven't caught on. The build quality is top notch, the sound quality when placed right, is right up there with multi armature iem's and they are incredibly comfortable...

So lets have a show of hands, who'll admit to owning these or having tried them for real? You cant deny that they're astounding to behold at least :p

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 78
And thats the importance of plcaing them "correctly"...Otherwise thats the result 
rolleyes.gif

First thing i did when i got them was to just press them all the way in like I'd normally do, and my thought was that if it had been from 1960 it would be decent...Meaning it was VERY muffled. Then while removing them i heard amazing SQ for a sec and started fiddling with the placement, placing them at a point where with normal buds i would have thought them to be on the verge of falling out, they suddenly sounded amazing. Open, airy, precise and with nice bass punch, much nicer than tiny iem drivers can perform, (since these have 20mm bass drivers aswell as their 13mm mid/high units). But i must agree the placing is the key - like with the legendary DT1350: Get it wrong and it sounds horrid, get it right and it sounds astonishing :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 78
You're not reading my message are you? xD

You dont need to shove them all the way in - i have fairly small ears...Or at least not very large, and it doesn't matter because almost only tip of them is supposed to fit in there for the best result  :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 78
Right...Well currently to me these are my alternative to my 4driver custom IEMs and i would say they are close to equal on comfort to me (I actually think i could wear the koss longer due to my customs cable gnawing a bit) and as far as sound goes, the customs have better resolution, but the Koss presents a more airy sound with much more punch and a more natural soundstage - i would say they're definitely one of the best earphones I've tried, but not easily compared since they don't really fit a category...They're sort of a mix between a bud, a clip on and an IEM...

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 78
You can get them for around 100$ now if you're lucky but i see your point...I'll try to come up wit a way for people to test if they would fit them... :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:
Right...Well currently to me these are my alternative to my 4driver custom IEMs and i would say they are close to equal on comfort to me (I actually think i could wear the koss longer due to my customs cable gnawing a bit) and as far as sound goes, the customs have better resolution, but the Koss presents a more airy sound with much more punch and a more natural soundstage - i would say they're definitely one of the best earphones I've tried, but not easily compared since they don't really fit a category...They're sort of a mix between a bud, a clip on and an IEM...

That's one of the somewhat strange myths that's floating aroud here, that customs have great soundstage. They don't, just like any other closed IEMs. Even my dead cheap €20 vented Playaz N1 have larger and more natural soundstage than my €1200 UERM customs. Of course they're inferior in pretty much all other aspects :wink:  Ayway, for $100 these sound interesting, where did you get them from?

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 78
I remember stevenswall highly praising these a few years back.

The real reason that you don't see them around is that you can realistically only buy these off Amazon for $160. That, or pay $250 off koss.com. I'd love to try them if they were available to try somewhere... I bought the Portapro after demo'ing it many years ago, after all.

There is also the stigma that Koss is a value <$100 brand. You have the ESP950 stats for $1000... then their best open headphone is the PRO4AAAT at $150. The KDE250 is their second-most expensive offering (not counting wireless/noise-canceling headphones), which means that it'd have some lofty standards set upon them.

(Note: I always try to buy Koss headphones off koss.com, even though their prices may not be discounted, since I know all my money is going towards supporting the company. I got the rare KSC35 this way.)

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 78
I have it. I tried many ways to wear it, I even pushed them into my ears. The bass was so one dimensional, not much texture or layers. It was somewhat disjointed between mid and low. Imaging was quite nice. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know why, I didn't even try to like it -- and I did try to like every cheapo ones.
Maybe I had bad months then. I should give it another try.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #14 of 78

Quote:
I have it. I tried many ways to wear it, I even pushed them into my ears. The bass was so one dimensional, not much texture or layers. It was somewhat disjointed between mid and low. Imaging was quite nice. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know why, I didn't even try to like it -- and I did try to like every cheapo ones.
Maybe I had bad months then. I should give it another try.

To me pushing hem all the way in makes them muffled and pretty ****ty, whilst only slightly in makes them amazing

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 78

Quote:

To me pushing hem all the way in makes them muffled and pretty ****ty, whilst only slightly in makes them amazing

Thank you for the tip. I'll try it again, soon. I am so "in love" with Sony's recently offers - I need to take a break from them, before I can like others. People grow, maybe, it was not my time to like it yet.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back