KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Sep 20, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,281 of 4,054
Do these require a break in like dynamics or not? Thanks!

Every piece of audio gear that has an impact on sound needs break-in. You have to get used to the sound signature, after all :wink:

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,282 of 4,054
I still wish Koss would offer upgrades to esp-950 headphones. If they had an upgraded version of the amp, maybe 2 , one tube and one solid state, that could be purchased as a separate upgrade. Same with the yokes and headband. While the yokes would require them to be sent in to Koss, I would pay to have the yokes upgraded to a more durable metal version. I would pay $100 for upgraded yokes, and maybe $500 for a solid state amp, maybe $700 for a tube amp. On the amps, they could even liscense them out to high end manufacture like Krell or ARC for amps.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,283 of 4,054
I would love a tube version of their energizer. I have the ES950 connected to my Schiit Valhalla 2 HP amp.The sound has changed quite a bit in the last few days with an increase in bass with a smoothing of the mids and highs. It sounded good right out of the box. I now have a few cans I won't be using. These things are awesome.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,284 of 4,054
I would love a tube version of their energizer. I have the ES950 connected to my Schiit Valhalla 2 HP amp.The sound has changed quite a bit in the last few days with an increase in bass with a smoothing of the mids and highs. It sounded good right out of the box. I now have a few cans I won't be using. These things are awesome.

how? pics please

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,285 of 4,054

how? pics please

Preamp out. You're introducing two volume controls, however.

I still wish Koss would offer upgrades to esp-950 headphones. If they had an upgraded version of the amp, maybe 2 , one tube and one solid state, that could be purchased as a separate upgrade. Same with the yokes and headband. While the yokes would require them to be sent in to Koss, I would pay to have the yokes upgraded to a more durable metal version. I would pay $100 for upgraded yokes, and maybe $500 for a solid state amp, maybe $700 for a tube amp. On the amps, they could even liscense them out to high end manufacture like Krell or ARC for amps.

IMO part of the ESP-950's charm is its bewildering refusal to modernize itself in any way, shape or form...

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,287 of 4,054
I would love a tube version of their energizer. 

Allan has heard his ESP950s on my DIY SRX Plus tube stat amp, albeit under meet conditions.  I believe he thought it sounded nice.  Of course, it would also cost significantly more as a commercial product.

A meet sucks for comparisons, especially headphones as open as the 950.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,290 of 4,054
I had the esp950 for about a year or so before getting he stax srm001, and the upgrade in sound is unmistakable. I later got a stax srm006t and the sound actually got worse. It wasn't until i got the sr007 and KGSS that I sold my esp950 they were that good.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,291 of 4,054
How much more was the 007 and kgss?
I had the esp950 for about a year or so before getting he stax srm001, and the upgrade in sound is unmistakable. I later got a stax srm006t and the sound actually got worse. It wasn't until i got the sr007 and KGSS that I sold my esp950 they were that good.

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #2,292 of 4,054
How much more was the 007 and kgss?

Exactly. The esp950s are a phenomenal deal at $600. The lifetime warranty is a real killer.

I will sell my 007 KGSS combo and go back to the esp950 if I ever need the cash and won't be crying a river.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,293 of 4,054
  IMO part of the ESP-950's charm is its bewildering refusal to modernize itself in any way, shape or form...

"Bewildering"? Why fix what ain't broke?

I have mixed feelings about the whole ESP 950 package. I'd just as soon Koss continue the status quo of pairing an underperforming amp with overperforming headphones, if they want to meet a price point. The headphones can be used with other devices when they're ready to upgrade. And the amp is not necessarily bad in itself, considering the relatively low cost and threshold of effort for performance upgrades (better power supply, for example).

However the poor quality control on the headphones themselves is another corner cut, and that's problematic. Being able to depend on a no-questions-asked warranty isn't as good as not having to.

If I was going to ask Koss for anything, it'd be to make the ESP 950's connectors publicly available so that third-party amp and energizer builders can incorporate them their products. Jury-rigged adaptors do the job, but not having to depend on them would be better. And there have to be enough 950s in use by now to be worth support from bespoke amp builders. Second to that (and assuming the connectors become publicly available) would be a premium version of the headphone, maybe forgoing the amp and investing the difference into tight quality-control tolerance and a higher degree of fit-and-finish for the headphone. Maybe a design that doesn't assume the user wants to disassemble it for portability, since the earpieces' tendency to spontaneously detach from the headband contributes to its reputation for fragility.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,294 of 4,054

Users who are viewing this thread

Back