KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #256 of 4,054
This might be a long shot, but for those who own the LCD-2s as well as the Koss, how would you say they complement one another?  I've heard the K702s being called "The poor man's HD800", a headphone that has been said to complement the LCD-2s well, so I'm wondering if they would be a better choice in that regard.

The K70x is not an ideal complement for the ESP/950 either, imho.

May 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #257 of 4,054
Quote:
The LCD-2 sounds not as fast and nowhere near as comfortable as the esp950; lcd-2 wins the "feels solid" department though.  

How do they pair, though?  Would there be any redundancy in getting the Koss, or would it be a worthy addition to my collection?

May 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #259 of 4,054
Holy cripes. Just got these back and they're really nice. I mean that in terms of sound, aesthetically they're not 007s, no reason to expect that for the price. Definitely more what I'd consider "fun" and lush, with a bit more forward mids, especially for stats. They remind me of the higher end Lambdas, but a little more crisp and detailed. They're very, very quick. Nothing even remotely muddy here.

I'm waiting for new pads, so they'll likely sound different when I change those, but as of now I'm blown away by what you get for the $680 street price (let alone the $250 I paid for mine). These are major ass kickers for the price, just crazy. Of course, like I mentioned before, I don't have the E/90. I'm listening to them through my SRM-717, and I'm not sure how good its native amp is, so that may have some impact.

May 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #260 of 4,054
Holy cripes. Just got these back and they're really nice. I mean that in terms of sound, aesthetically they're not 007s, no reason to expect that for the price. Definitely more what I'd consider "fun" and lush, with a bit more forward mids, especially for stats. They remind me of the higher end Lambdas, but a little more crisp and detailed. They're very, very quick. Nothing even remotely muddy here.
I'm waiting for new pads, so they'll likely sound different when I change those, but as of now I'm blown away by what you get for the $680 street price (let alone the $250 I paid for mine). These are major ass kickers for the price, just crazy. Of course, like I mentioned before, I don't have the E/90. I'm listening to them through my SRM-717, and I'm not sure how good its native amp is, so that may have some impact.

FWIW, I feel the same way and echo your impressions, and use the E/90. I don't have the SRM-717 to test with that though. FWIR, the E/90 is better than a lot of people make it out to be, but the 717 and a few other top-tier amps are (at least on paper, perhaps audibly as well, IDK) superior.

May 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #261 of 4,054
Quote:
How do they pair, though?  Would there be any redundancy in getting the Koss, or would it be a worthy addition to my collection?

I think the LCD-2 is closer to the Omega II in sonic qualities (of course not quite as good in some areas) than the esp950.  The esp950 and o2 I have are very much different and great to have; I have owned a few LCD-2's including the r2.  I kind of swore off the Audeze's recently for personal reasons.

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #262 of 4,054
A couple of questions:

- is it a good idea to recap / upgrade the stock E90 in any way?

- any good way to get the ESP950 cheap? (like, under 450-500 usd)?

Thanks

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #264 of 4,054
Quote:
You can still order them on the Head-Direct website; ridiculously expensive for the build quality from what I recall of reviews.

Still listed - but NOT available unfortunately.  I love my pair of regular (not beta) Jades.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #265 of 4,054
Quote:
i really need to hear a pair of electrostatics before i jump on these though it does seem to be a good deal

You won't look back - - guaranteed.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #266 of 4,054
Quote:

Still listed - but NOT available unfortunately.  I love my pair of regular (not beta) Jades.

I hear the Jades are extremely cold headphones.  How are they otherwise?

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #268 of 4,054
Quote:

Wow, seems like the street price has went up over $300, since the last time I checked about a week ago.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #269 of 4,054
Wow, seems like the street price has went up over $300, since the last time I checked about a week ago.

I've never seen them below $550 for new, and camelcamelcamel says the same.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Koss-160416-ESP-950-Electrostatic-Stereophone/product/B000056ULH

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #270 of 4,054
Quote:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Koss-160416-ESP-950-Electrostatic-Stereophone/product/B000056ULH

Ditto!  Not only Koss, but Amazon also list them retail new for $999.00 .... anything below $550 is good fortune, provided you get a relatively good set.
And, they're worth every penny - an outstanding and classic electrostatic with their own unique and lauded signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back