Koss BT540i Impressions
Sep 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have these on order? They just came out and i'm pretty excited to get a pair of them when I actually have money!
They also have an aux input. If they didn't I'd have skipped them.

It looks similar to my favorite DJ100/200, but a bit bigger (for the bluetooth stuff) and best of all, it has memory foam pads!!
If they're even bigger than the DJ200, then maybe the sound will be improved a little.

I actually like the idea of having a bluetooth headphone around. Most of the ones i've tried are not that good.

Maybe in a year they'll have a non blue-tooth version. Maybe you can buy the memory foam pads separately if you ask nicely.

More info:
http://newproducts.koss.com/bt540i--video.html

There's a video on there about the design of it. Hopefully Koss can send a pair to Tyll for some measurements!
Due to a better seal, I bet it might measure better than the DJ100/DJ200.

I imagine the bass will be even better than that of the DJ200 just due to the memory foam pads.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 11
If you compare carefully, the cups aren't any larger around except a tiny bit where the circuits go in the outer boss.  Their website suggests the drivers are different, but I doubt it.  The pads are supposed to be natural leather as well as memory foam, and hopefully should be nice.  I use a pair of TBSEs for portable cans, and I like them pretty well, but I'd change to those pads if available.  I don't particularly care for how Bluetooth usually sounds, so these won't be on my list.

I think that Koss' biggest wasted opportunity right now is supply chain related.  They should have the ProDJ 100 and/or 200 in every Walmart.  Maybe a Walmart only 150 model with a fixed KTC cable to keep cost down and features up.  Further, it should come in several bright colors.  It would put their most modern product in a lot of hands to do that.  Coming off the heels of that embezzlement case, it seems that what they need most is just a big shot of cash.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 11
I'll stop by when and lend my friends at Head-Fi my thoughts when I hear them.

I have used their STRIVA and have experience with a couple of other Koss models. I think this will prove to be an upgrade. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 11
  If you compare carefully, the cups aren't any larger around except a tiny bit where the circuits go in the outer boss.  Their website suggests the drivers are different, but I doubt it.  The pads are supposed to be natural leather as well as memory foam, and hopefully should be nice.  I use a pair of TBSEs for portable cans, and I like them pretty well, but I'd change to those pads if available.  I don't particularly care for how Bluetooth usually sounds, so these won't be on my list.

I think that Koss' biggest wasted opportunity right now is supply chain related.  They should have the ProDJ 100 and/or 200 in every Walmart.  Maybe a Walmart only 150 model with a fixed KTC cable to keep cost down and features up.  Further, it should come in several bright colors.  It would put their most modern product in a lot of hands to do that.  Coming off the heels of that embezzlement case, it seems that what they need most is just a big shot of cash.

I looked at the picture on that link above and to me they just look so much bigger than the DJ100. This is a very good thing IMO. Maybe those people just have tiny heads.
It also seems like maybe the cups are much deeper. This could also have some sort of effect on the sound (an improvement). I guess we'll never know for sure until someone inspects them.

The pads have a white fabric over them. Maybe they came up with some ideas to improve it over the DJ200/100. I sure hope so.

I hope the BT540i is more spacious/open sounding with stock pads compared to the DJ100 with stock pads with portable devices.

If the BT540i IS actually bigger, then the new pads might not work on the DJ200.

Also, I never understood why on earth you can't buy the KSC75 and/or Porta Pro at Wal-Mart. Maybe Wal-Mart just wants to sell no name garbage headphones like the "Billionaire Edition" headphone I saw there once that was all black and gold and looked like cheap plastic.

Sears though now sells a lot more Koss stuff. My Best Buy stopped carrying the Koss headphones to make more room for fashion headphones. It seems they got rid of the "studio" area in the back.

Maybe Koss can try to get Best Buy to put up a demo of these. I know that they originally sold the DJ100 and the UR-55 as a Best Buy exclusive for awhile I think.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 11
I bought a pair of Koss KTXPro1 headphones on clearance at FYE for $5 a while back.  Walmart here sells one $5 Koss model *which Tyll has tested*, and Sears sells one of the cheapest over-ears.  In town here, unless Walgreen's has it or something like that, there aren't any PortaPros (not tried yet, on my list), KSC75s (not on my list due to repulsive form factor), or ProDJ (have TBSE1)  models to be had.  I live in a small city of about 35,000 that is a regional shopping go-to place.  Koss has a supply problem that I hoped the Mad Men exposure would help fix.  Their stuff is hard to walk into a store and buy.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 11
I've asked the Koss customer support some questions about the new BT540i, regarding sound and earpads - as I own and like very much the TBSE1 Koss headphones (thanks to tdockweiler's post). 
So here are the answers ..

1. Wii the BT540i have a similar or different sound as DJ100/200? What is the diaphragm diameter in these?

The BT540i have the same frequency response as the ProDJ100/200 headphones and provide a very similar sound.  The elements in the BT540i are 40mm in diameter.   

2. Will the earpads from BT540i fit DJ100? Where can they be purchased and what's the price?

As the three models are similar and have the same diameter ear cup the ear cushions from the BT540i will fit the ProDJ100/200 headphones.  Unfortunately, these parts are not currently available for sale. 

3. Can the BT540i be operated wired?

The BT540i is able to be operated as a wired headphone when the battery is discharged. 

Hope the information is useful ...

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Headfonia has a review up on them. Just went live a little while ago. Here's the link

http://www.headfonia.com/koss-bt540i-bluetooth-wireless-mobility/

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Holy crap yes, I just ran into this topic searching around about my toys I've bought recently. So worth the buy. I started off with a smaller pair of Panasonics (with WIRES) and didn’t like the sound at all. It was very distant and tinny sounding so I started reading around. Something I read at CNET led me to get a pair of Sonys but I wound up sending them back. They were loud and bass’y but didn’t offer anything crisp. I think if I would have spent a little more on Sony, I would have been fine, but I was led to these Koss by a review (http://pocinc.net/blog/product-reviews/review-koss-bt540i-bluetooth-over-the-ear-headphones ) that thought very well of them. They were the same price as the more expensive Sony option I probably would have ended up with outside of the fact that the Koss were wireless. I’ve never owned a pair of wireless headphone before so I thought hey, this would be cool. Well it was as I use them all over the place. I walk to work since I only live about 3 blocks away and tend to wear them there as well (when I can get away with it at least) ^_^. If they were waterproof, I would bring them to the gym with me and listen to something zen-like, but they aren’t.

I look back at the Panasonics and laugh :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 11
My birthday present from me to me has come in. :innocent:

They are comfortable as heck, listened for a few minutes briefly, wired, now charging. Got them for $65 and they still has the plastic wrap around the cups. Clearly new!

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 11
My birthday present from me to me has come in. :innocent:

They are comfortable as heck, listened for a few minutes briefly, wired, now charging. Got them for $65 and they still has the plastic wrap around the cups. Clearly new!

Right???
They feel great, they sound great and for that price OMG!!! Congrats on the nice find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back