Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #63,241 of 64,221
Lol of course there is: 4.4 has more "distance" between the channel grounds and thus should have a better channel separation. 4.4 has more contact area, better contact means a more accurate signal transfer.

Another thing, now high end DAP even the portable one has 4.4mm vs 2.5mm. Lower tier DAP usually has 3.5mm and 2.5mm for example Fiio and Qudelix, whereas LP, Astel Kern, Caiyin, iBasso, etc have 4.4mm instead. Anything with more than 200mW power usually has 4.4mm connector instead of 2.5mw.
The plug bands are non-conductive and there is no increase or decrease in channel separation due to the size of the connector. The contact area of the wiring inside IEMs is often smaller than the plug contact area, and at the power levels headphones are driven at, the practical differences in terms of the effect on audio performance of these contact areas are negligible. The reason why larger plugs tend to be preferable has more to do I think with durability - hence why we see XLR for pro audio. A 4.4mm plug/socket is much less likely to get damaged by a drop or lateral yank than a 2.5mm, and the increase in contact area means that it will take more debris to negatively impact the connection quality (non-conductive material between a plug and socket will have a negative impact on audio performance). A 4.4mm jack does offer an additional ground which could help eliminate any ground loops, but that isn't typically important for portable equipment and I haven't seen the feature used much.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #63,242 of 64,221
Which kilobuck IEM sounds 1000x better than my PR3? I can't even comprehend that level of sound quality. My poor brain might explode.
I would suggest MEST MKII, best bang for your bucks. To me MEST MKII is the surf gate to kilobuck quality. I saw so many good classifieds available now.

Mest MKII for $800
Legend X for $900 (this one is crazy good)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #63,243 of 64,221
The plug bands are non-conductive and there is no increase or decrease in channel separation due to the size of the connector. The contact area of the wiring inside IEMs is often smaller than the plug contact area, and at the power levels headphones are driven at, the practical differences in terms of the effect on audio performance of these contact areas are negligible. The reason why larger plugs tend to be preferable has more to do I think with durability - hence why we see XLR for pro audio. A 4.4mm plug/socket is much less likely to get damaged by a drop or lateral yank than a 2.5mm, and the increase in contact area means that it will take more debris to negatively impact the connection quality (non-conductive material between a plug and socket will have a negative impact on audio performance). A 4.4mm jack does offer an additional ground which could help eliminate any ground loops, but that isn't typically important for portable equipment and I haven't seen the feature used much.

There are always pros and cons. However, like I said most of high end DAP with high mW used 4.4mm, thus… it’s better to have 4.4mm. Not sure why. All high end IEMs need at least 180mW of power.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #63,244 of 64,221
There are always pros and cons. However, like I said most of high end DAP with high mW used 4.4mm, thus… it’s better to have 4.4mm. Not sure why. All high end IEMs need at least 180mW of power.
They are not choosing the jack size for power reasons. I have a desktop headphone amp with a 4-pin XLR output and I have an XLR to 2.5mm adapter. I also have multiple headphone cables in both XLR or 2.5mm terminations, and whether I use the native XLR or 2.5mm adapter to XLR, there is no appreciable difference in sound out of the amp.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #63,245 of 64,221
Trust me on this, I started with Kbear Believe 4 years ago, saving up and bought used IEMs for half price.

When you buy good quality IEM, you can sell it back without losing money. Then you keep adding your saving until you can get what you want. I saved up enough for 4 years and got my EE Odin.

Bought Monarch Thieaudio and sold it back without losing a dime.

Tried MEST MKI to MKIII basically for free. Regardless what you read about MKI here and MKII, there is only a subtle diferrence when you hit kilobucks level that none of the entry level can achieve.

For sure ALL kilobucks IEM, has standardized resolution and imaging, natural and forward mid, great treble extension without sibilance (this won’t happen with entry level IEM, why? They could not afford a good crossover for tuning and the armature), rounded bass (you won’t find bass bleed on kilobucks level)

The only difference will be in soundstage and specific niche such as: being basshead, being great monitor, being technical monster.

When I spent $300 for 8-10 entry level IEM, those money are gone because I could not sell them back without losing a significant chunk of my money.
What’s worse, not that many people wants it, because they are so cheap anyways, people will buy it brand new.

When I saved up, first year I got my Monarch, then climbing to the nex level and next level and next level.

Monarch Thieaudio is nothing compared to Mest and to Empire Ears. But it is TOTL of the entry level.

It is hard to save up, because all of the cheaper ones are eye candies to me and for each one of those I have unreal expectation that they will be a kilobucks killer (lol WILL NEVER happened).

If you realize that you won’t fall into a rabbit hole of cheap IEM chasing.

While I agree it's generally not a great approach getting bunch of budget sets. I do think it's all opinion based. I don't go kilo-buck often, but did go around many $500+ hyped IEMs + even more $200~400 sets over the years. I can't always say they're worth it to be honest. MANY of them were wild, and some hyped HIFI IEMs were either super sibilant or unpleasantly colored. I agree if it's not for you (especially for newer models), sell them immediately when they're still coveted!

Buying buds are like women getting designer bags, or like getting a certain style of pizza, we all taste differently! Not to mention it's getting increasingly harder to sell, and recoup funds. Once you stuck with one that plummeted in value, you gonna lose money in the trade anyways. So don't save up for it. Use whatever is comfortable within your budget, and enjoy.

I personally force myself to sell however many buds that I buy nowadays, it's working for me :]

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #63,246 of 64,221

4.4mm is becoming standard for balanced in all personal audio devices. DAPs, dongles and BT receivers. Mainly because 2.5mm plugs are notoriously easy to bend or break.

For SOME gear 180mW of power will provide significant benefits, impedance matching for sensitive IEMs it can be a problem .

This is the Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread. Broad generalizations about higher end equipment seem somewhat misplaced here!:confused:

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #63,247 of 64,221
While I agree it's generally not a great approach getting bunch of budget sets. I do think it's all opinion based. I don't go kilo-buck often, but did go around many $500+ hyped IEMs + even more $200~400 sets over the years. I can't always say they're worth it to be honest. MANY of them were wild, and some hyped HIFI IEMs were either super sibilant or unpleasantly colored. I agree if it's not for you (especially for newer models), sell them immediately when they're still coveted!

Buying buds are like women getting designer bags, or like getting a certain style of pizza, we all taste differently! Not to mention it's getting increasingly harder to sell, and recoup funds. Once you stuck with one that plummeted in value, you gonna lose money in the trade anyways. So don't save up for it. Use whatever is comfortable within your budget, and enjoy.

I personally force myself to sell however many buds that I buy nowadays, it's working for me :]

Have to be $1000 or more lol, otherwise hype will kill your spending.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #63,248 of 64,221
4.4mm is becoming standard for balanced in all personal audio devices. DAPs, dongles and BT receivers. Mainly because 2.5mm plugs are notoriously easy to bend or break.

For SOME gear 180mW of power will provide significant benefits, impedance matching for sensitive IEMs it can be a problem .

This is the Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread. Broad generalizations about higher end equipment seem somewhat misplaced here!:confused:

Any $2.5k + needs 180mW or more due to the amount of drivers that need to be powered

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #63,250 of 64,221
Screenshot_2023-12-03-06-01-53-69_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
Taken from Jay's Audio yt channel.
I'm literally at the right side.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #63,251 of 64,221
I think it is more like low and mid pass filter, with 2 layers that cut the high frequency, starting from 2k - 3k Hz.
Hmmmm, I am too lazy to plot it out but substituting some probing frequencies we get:

At 20khz, Req = 1ohm , so cut off f = 19.14khz
At 15khz, Req =1.26ohm, cut off f = 16.7khz
At 10khz, Req = 1.68ohm, cut off f =12.5khz

Let's go back to some upper frequencies:
At 19khz, Req = 1.06ohm, cut off f = 20khz

Nothing is cutoff below 20khz I think. It actually may make the sound brighter because the equivalent resistance decreases as the frequency gets higher

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #63,252 of 64,221
I have been testing the new PR3. Since there is at present no showcase page for it, I am posting my review here.

KZ PR3
I was contacted by Kate, the social media representative from KZ and invited to test the new PR3 Planar IEMs.

KZ has embraced the recent trend for Planar drivers with its PR1 and PR1 Pro models and the HBB PR2 collaboration. The new PR3 features an upgraded 13.2 mm Planar unit with a "Nano-level" silver plated membrane and electronic filter tuning. The frequency response is quoted as 20Hz - 40KHz with a sensitivity of 98 dB and an impedance of 15 Ohms. It retails for around £40.

Product link:
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-pr3

The PR3 comes in the standard KZ packaging, a compact white rectangular box. The front of the box bears an image of the IEMs and the rear features the specifications. Removing the slip cover reveals a white plastic tray with the IEMs inside, below which is a white card flap under which the accessories are stored. The contents comprise:

● PR3 IEMs
● 2-pin silver-plated copper cable
● Three pairs "Starline" silicone ear tips
● One pair foam ear tips (pre-fitted)
● Documentation

The PR3 is a semi-open design with a clear resin body. The gunmetal coloured alloy faceplate has a grille of diagonal parallel strips, three gold hex bolts and the words "Planar Technology" written around the border in a white sans serif font. There is a grille and mesh on the side of the earpieces and a pinhole vent in the centre of the underside. The raised 2-pin socket is also coloured gold and there is a white filter over the nozzle. The overall shape of the earpieces is reminiscent of earlier KZ designs such as the ZS10 Pro X and ZAX and the build quality is very good, as it was with other recent acquisitions, the Krila, AS16 Pro and Castor.

The cable is a silver plated OFC type with a 2-pin 0.78mm connector and a gold plated 90° angled 3.5mm plug. The sheath is transparent, revealing the wire within. The cable is not as prone to tangling as previous KZ designs but there is still no chin slider.

The PR3 was tested with Xduoo X20 and Hidizs AP80 Pro X DAPs. A smartphone, via an Aiderlot DC02 USB-C dongle, and a digital radio were also used. The IEMs were subjected to a burn-in period of 100 hours before evaluation. The stock cable and medium Starline tips were used which resulted in a comfortable fit and good isolation.

Sound Quality
Fed from the Xduoo X20 (which gave the most pleasing results), the PR3 displayed a well-balanced, neutral profile with a warm and natural bass, an expressive midrange possessing good timbre and a smooth, relaxed treble showing excellent detail and extension. The soundstage was spacious with good layering and separation which made it easy to follow individual strands in the music. The volume needed to be set somewhat higher than normal, which is often the case with planar drivers. The PR3 proved itself capable of revealing the different sounds of the various sources. The output from a smartphone worked best when augmented by a USB dongle, which provided the necessary power. Further improvements were gained from using a 2.5mm balanced cable which increased the power and expanded the staging.

Bass
The PR3's bass produced a weighty sound which was a combination of the warmth and depth of a dynamic driver and the speed and resolution of a balanced armature. Timbre was natural and extension also very good. Sub bass rumbled healthily and transitioned smoothly into the midrange with no bleed.

"Mirage", by Hennie Bekker, is an album of imaginative synthesiser pieces featuring attractive melodies and intricate rhythms. The title track begins with smooth synth patches and delicate percussive elements. Soon these are joined by a very deep and resonant bass which was nicely reproduced by the PR3 and produced a perfect foundation for the semi-melodic chord progressions and sparkling electronic effects. The whole piece gelled really well with everything in perfect balance.

Sir Alexander Gibson's wonderful performance of Sibelius's "The Swan of Tuonela" with the London Festival Orchestra received a full and atmospheric rendition from the PR3. At the beginning a solo cor anglais plays a meandering melody supported by hushed and mournful strings. Sustained menacing bass drums rolled threateningly in the background like distant thunder and these were captured effectively by the PR3, conveying the mystical message of the Finnish legend which inspired the piece.

Midrange
The PR3 possessed a smooth, open and expressive midrange typical of planar drivers. There was very little recession with vocals standing out from their accompaniment clearly and with lyrics easy to discern. Studio effects such as reverb and panning were particularly well-rendered and the timbre was natural and accurate, while the tonality was very even throughout.

"In the arms of Mary", by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver showcased the excellent vocal capabilities of the PR3. Ian Sutherland's soulful lead vocal was precisely delineated enabling the words to be clearly heard while the guitars, bass and drums all occupied their correct places in the stereo image. The lead guitar solo was crisp and incisive, cutting through the mix without affecting the overall balance of the production.

The piano is always a useful instrument for determining the midrange timbre of an IEM. "I Gott Bevar" from Benny Andersson's solo album "Piano" demonstrated this perfectly. Set in a reverberant acoustic, Andersson's Fazioli instrument sounded natural and clean and the gentle melody was nicely presented by the PR3 with a natural tonality. At the climax of the piece the melody line is supported by full arpeggios spanning the octaves and the PR3 handled this admirably with a perfect balance between the percussive and lyrical aspects. There was believable dynamic shading and the sustain and decay of the notes was reproduced accurately.

Treble
The PR3's treble was clean, detailed and airy with no evidence of harshness or sibilance and very good extension. Disparate elements were well separated with an attractive sense of space and remained so even during more energetic passages. The level was in good balance with the midrange and bass. Occasionally in more dynamic pieces, there was a little congestion and a slight flattening of perspective.

"Equinoxe 5" by Jean-Michel Jarre features all the trademark elements of his music with a sequenced foundation, typical synth voices and complex rhythmic patterns. The high frequency sounds were beautifully precise on the PR3 with the stereo imaging particularly impressive. The movement across the stage was excitingly portrayed and the whole piece was presented in a lively and entertaining fashion.

"Music for Orchestra" by Geoffrey Bush is in the form of a "concerto for orchestra" with a cameo for each instrument featured in succession. In a superb Lyrita recording with the London Philharmonic Orchestra under Vernon Handley, the piece came to life dramatically in the hands of the PR3. The piano came through clearly above the accompaniment and percussion possessed good impact and clarity, imparting the whole piece with a "live" feel and demonstrating what a fantastic recording this is. The dynamic range here was especially notable and the ambience of the recording venue was convincingly realised.

Soundstage
The PR3's soundstage was expansive and spacious. The width spread beyond the ears and there was a fine impression of depth with good height as well. Imaging was precise and movement within the image well handled. Layering was also of a high standard, with the positions of individual instruments and orchestral sections clearly differentiated.

"3 circles" is a track from Patrick O'Hearn's album "Trust". It begins with a heavy bass synthesiser occupying the centre of the stage with high frequency percussive effects placed in the extreme left and right. A smooth synth chord progression joins in and a sparkling rhythm sequence propels the piece along while the lead synth voice plays the theme. The PR3 managed to arrange all these elements into a coherent whole with plenty of space around them, creating a spacious and enveloping result while retaining rhythmic drive. This was very impressive.

"Mausoleum at Halicarnassus" is the fourth movement of the "Seven Wonders Suite" by Stuart Mitchell. The piece begins with an extended flute solo supported by a lush orchestral accompaniment. The solo instrument seemed to float above the strings and the triangle and harp accents were airy and well-defined. There was a real sense of distance in the performance by the Prague Symphony Orchestra under Mario Klemens with the timpani in the rear of the hall displaying a natural ambience and realistic decay.

Comparisons
As this is the first single driver planar IEM I have auditioned, I have selected three different types of IEMs for comparison.

TRI i3
The TRI i3 is a tribrid design with an 8mm dynamic driver for the bass, a 10mm planar unit for the midrange and a balanced armature for the high frequencies. It is housed in a shiny silver coloured solid alloy shell and has an MMCX interface. Although retailing for four timed the price of the PR3, it is included here because of the similarities in the midrange produced by the planar driver and the fact that both the i3 and PR3 need a healthy signal to give of their best.

The i3 has a big, bold cinematic sound with a huge soundstage, powerful sub bass and a well-extended top end. It sounds "bigger" and more refined than the PR3 and its staging and bass are addictive. In the midrange, however, the two sound very similar. The PR3 is slightly brighter and not as weighty in the bass. Its treble is a little thinner in tonality but it performs well at the price. Some may find the i3's very large earpieces problematic whereas the PR3 is very light and comfortable.

KZ Castor (Harman Edition)
The Castor employs two dynamic drivers in a stacked configuration. Bass duties are handled by a 10mm unit dealing with the frequency range up to 200 Hz while the midrange and upper frequencies are covered by an 8mm driver. It is very well made with an alloy faceplate and resin body.

As befits the name, the profile follows the Harman curve, a generally V-shaped frequency response, but the midrange is only slightly recessed. The treble is brighter than neutral and sometimes becomes rather emphasised. The PR3 is much more neutral with a smoother treble but with no loss of detail. In fact it is more extended than the Castor. The Castor's bass is stronger but a little more coloured, with a small amount of bass bleed. Midrange goes to the PR3 with superior timbre and layering. In soundstage, the PR3 is more defined than the Castor with better imaging, but the Castor is easier to drive with the PR3 needing substantially more power to shine.

KZ AS16 Pro
The AS16 Pro is an all-BA design with eight drivers per channel. There are two bass units, two midrange and four treble drivers. The shell is rather large but comfortable with the correct tips. It has a bright, detailed sound signature with excellent detail and speed. The bass is surprisingly powerful for a balanced armature IEM and there is very little evidence of "BA timbre" with a clean and precise delivery. It is brighter than the PR3 and is more immediate with a snappy transient response but can sound "clinical". The PR3's bass is warmer with more weight and a more natural decay, the midrange is more forgiving and the treble is smoother. The two IEMs have different personalities and are complementary in that respect. Preference is a matter of style and both are good examples of their kind, but the PR3 is more musical and the AS16 Pro more technical.

Conclusion
Possessing a neutral, well-balanced profile, the PR3 shows the advantages of planar technology. The full-range driver displays excellent coherence, fast transients and a wide frequency response with good extension at both ends of the spectrum. There is no bass bleed or mid-bass bloat (often found with dynamic drivers) and the sometimes artificial timbre of balanced armatures is totally absent. There was a good balance between technicalities and musical expression and the soundstage is exceptionally proficient.

It is solidly built and comfortable in use with good isolation. The packaging is rather basic and the cable could be improved (chin slider please, KZ) but these are minor issues. Overall the PR3 is an excellent IEM and an ideal way to sample the planar sound without breaking the bank!

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_132047.jpg
    IMG_20231125_132047.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231125_132534.jpg
    IMG_20231125_132534.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231125_132858.jpg
    IMG_20231125_132858.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231125_132933.jpg
    IMG_20231125_132933.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231125_133411.jpg
    IMG_20231125_133411.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #63,253 of 64,221
I have been testing the new PR3. Since there is at present no showcase page for it, I am posting my review here.

KZ PR3
I was contacted by Kate, the social media representative from KZ and invited to test the new PR3 Planar IEMs.

KZ has embraced the recent trend for Planar drivers with its PR1 and PR1 Pro models and the HBB PR2 collaboration. The new PR3 features an upgraded 13.2 mm Planar unit with a "Nano-level" silver plated membrane and electronic filter tuning. The frequency response is quoted as 20Hz - 40KHz with a sensitivity of 98 dB and an impedance of 15 Ohms. It retails for around £40.

Product link:
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-pr3

The PR3 comes in the standard KZ packaging, a compact white rectangular box. The front of the box bears an image of the IEMs and the rear features the specifications. Removing the slip cover reveals a white plastic tray with the IEMs inside, below which is a white card flap under which the accessories are stored. The contents comprise:

● PR3 IEMs
● Three pairs "Starline" silicone ear tips
● One pair foam ear tips (pre-fitted)
● Documentation

The PR3 is a semi-open design with a clear resin body. The gunmetal coloured alloy faceplate has a grille of diagonal parallel strips, three gold hex bolts and the words "Planar Technology" written around the border in a white sans serif font. There is a grille and mesh on the side of the earpieces and a pinhole vent in the centre of the underside. The raised 2-pin socket is also coloured gold and there is a white filter over the nozzle. The overall shape of the earpieces is reminiscent of earlier KZ designs such as the ZS10 Pro X and ZAX and the build quality is very good, as it was with other recent acquisitions, the Krila, AS16 Pro and Castor.

The cable is a silver plated OFC type with a 2-pin 0.78mm connector and a gold plated 90° angled 3.5mm plug. The sheath is transparent, revealing the wire within. The cable is not as prone to tangling as previous KZ designs but there is still no chin slider.

The PR3 was tested with Xduoo X20 and Hidizs AP80 Pro X DAPs. A smartphone, via an Aiderlot DC02 USB-C dongle, and a digital radio were also used. The IEMs were subjected to a burn-in period of 100 hours before evaluation. The stock cable and medium Starline tips were used which resulted in a comfortable fit and good isolation.

Sound Quality
Fed from the Xduoo X20 (which gave the most pleasing results), the PR3 displayed a well-balanced, neutral profile with a warm and natural bass, an expressive midrange possessing good timbre and a smooth, relaxed treble showing excellent detail and extension. The soundstage was spacious with good layering and separation which made it easy to follow individual strands in the music. The volume needed to be set somewhat higher than normal, which is often the case with planar drivers. The PR3 proved itself capable of revealing the different sounds of the various sources. The output from a smartphone worked best when augmented by a USB dongle, which provided the necessary power. Further improvements were gained from using a 2.5mm balanced cable which increased the power and expanded the staging.

Bass
The PR3's bass produced a weighty sound which was a combination of the warmth and depth of a dynamic driver and the speed and resolution of a balanced armature. Timbre was natural and extension also very good. Sub bass rumbled healthily and transitioned smoothly into the midrange with no bleed.

"Mirage", by Hennie Bekker, is an album of imaginative synthesiser pieces featuring attractive melodies and intricate rhythms. The title track begins with smooth synth patches and delicate percussive elements. Soon these are joined by a very deep and resonant bass which was nicely reproduced by the PR3 and produced a perfect foundation for the semi-melodic chord progressions and sparkling electronic effects. The whole piece gelled really well with everything in perfect balance.

Sir Alexander Gibson's wonderful performance of Sibelius's "The Swan of Tuonela" with the London Festival Orchestra received a full and atmospheric rendition from the PR3. At the beginning a solo cor anglais plays a meandering melody supported by hushed and mournful strings. Sustained menacing bass drums rolled threateningly in the background like distant thunder and these were captured effectively by the PR3, conveying the mystical message of the Finnish legend which inspired the piece.

Midrange
The PR3 possessed a smooth, open and expressive midrange typical of planar drivers. There was very little recession with vocals standing out from their accompaniment clearly and with lyrics easy to discern. Studio effects such as reverb and panning were particularly well-rendered and the timbre was natural and accurate, while the tonality was very even throughout.

"In the arms of Mary", by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver showcased the excellent vocal capabilities of the PR3. Ian Sutherland's soulful lead vocal was precisely delineated enabling the words to be clearly heard while the guitars, bass and drums all occupied their correct places in the stereo image. The lead guitar solo was crisp and incisive, cutting through the mix without affecting the overall balance of the production.

The piano is always a useful instrument for determining the midrange timbre of an IEM. "I Gott Bevar" from Benny Andersson's solo album "Piano" demonstrated this perfectly. Set in a reverberant acoustic, Andersson's Fazioli instrument sounded natural and clean and the gentle melody was nicely presented by the PR3 with a natural tonality. At the climax of the piece the melody line is supported by full arpeggios spanning the octaves and the PR3 handled this admirably with a perfect balance between the percussive and lyrical aspects. There was believable dynamic shading and the sustain and decay of the notes was reproduced accurately.

Treble
The PR3's treble was clean, detailed and airy with no evidence of harshness or sibilance and very good extension. Disparate elements were well separated with an attractive sense of space and remained so even during more energetic passages. The level was in good balance with the midrange and bass. Occasionally in more dynamic pieces, there was a little congestion and a slight flattening of perspective.

"Equinoxe 5" by Jean-Michel Jarre features all the trademark elements of his music with a sequenced foundation, typical synth voices and complex rhythmic patterns. The high frequency sounds were beautifully precise on the PR3 with the stereo imaging particularly impressive. The movement across the stage was excitingly portrayed and the whole piece was presented in a lively and entertaining fashion.

"Music for Orchestra" by Geoffrey Bush is in the form of a "concerto for orchestra" with a cameo for each instrument featured in succession. In a superb Lyrita recording with the London Philharmonic Orchestra under Vernon Handley, the piece came to life dramatically in the hands of the PR3. The piano came through clearly above the accompaniment and percussion possessed good impact and clarity, imparting the whole piece with a "live" feel and demonstrating what a fantastic recording this is. The dynamic range here was especially notable and the ambience of the recording venue was convincingly realised.

Soundstage
The PR3's soundstage was expansive and spacious. The width spread beyond the ears and there was a fine impression of depth with good height as well. Imaging was precise and movement within the image well handled. Layering was also of a high standard, with the positions of individual instruments and orchestral sections clearly differentiated.

"3 circles" is a track from Patrick O'Hearn's album "Trust". It begins with a heavy bass synthesiser occupying the centre of the stage with high frequency percussive effects placed in the extreme left and right. A smooth synth chord progression joins in and a sparkling rhythm sequence propels the piece along while the lead synth voice plays the theme. The PR3 managed to arrange all these elements into a coherent whole with plenty of space around them, creating a spacious and enveloping result while retaining rhythmic drive. This was very impressive.

"Mausoleum at Halicarnassus" is the fourth movement of the "Seven Wonders Suite" by Stuart Mitchell. The piece begins with an extended flute solo supported by a lush orchestral accompaniment. The solo instrument seemed to float above the strings and the triangle and harp accents were airy and well-defined. There was a real sense of distance in the performance by the Prague Symphony Orchestra under Mario Klemens with the timpani in the rear of the hall displaying a natural ambience and realistic decay.

Comparisons
As this is the first single driver planar IEM I have auditioned, I have selected three different types of IEMs for comparison.

TRI i3
The TRI i3 is a tribrid design with an 8mm dynamic driver for the bass, a 10mm planar unit for the midrange and a balanced armature for the high frequencies. It is housed in a shiny silver coloured solid alloy shell and has an MMCX interface. Although retailing for four timed the price of the PR3, it is included here because of the similarities in the midrange produced by the planar driver and the fact that both the i3 and PR3 need a healthy signal to give of their best.

The i3 has a big, bold cinematic sound with a huge soundstage, powerful sub bass and a well-extended top end. It sounds "bigger" and more refined than the PR3 and its staging and bass are addictive. In the midrange, however, the two sound very similar. The PR3 is slightly brighter and not as weighty in the bass. Its treble is a little thinner in tonality but it performs well at the price. Some may find the i3's very large earpieces problematic whereas the PR3 is very light and comfortable.

KZ Castor (Harman Edition)
The Castor employs two dynamic drivers in a stacked configuration. Bass duties are handled by a 10mm unit dealing with the frequency range up to 200 Hz while the midrange and upper frequencies are covered by an 8mm driver. It is very well made with an alloy faceplate and resin body.

As befits the name, the profile follows the Harman curve, a generally V-shaped frequency response, but the midrange is only slightly recessed. The treble is brighter than neutral and sometimes becomes rather emphasised. The PR3 is much more neutral with a smoother treble but with no loss of detail. In fact it is more extended than the Castor. The Castor's bass is stronger but a little more coloured, with a small amount of bass bleed. Midrange goes to the PR3 with superior timbre and layering. In soundstage, the PR3 is more defined than the Castor with better imaging, but the Castor is easier to drive with the PR3 needing substantially more power to shine.

KZ AS16 Pro
The AS16 Pro is an all-BA design with eight drivers per channel. There are two bass units, two midrange and four treble drivers. The shell is rather large but comfortable with the correct tips. It has a bright, detailed sound signature with excellent detail and speed. The bass is surprisingly powerful for a balanced armature IEM and there is very little evidence of "BA timbre" with a clean and precise delivery. It is brighter than the PR3 and is more immediate with a snappy transient response but can sound "clinical". The PR3's bass is warmer with more weight and a more natural decay, the midrange is more forgiving and the treble is smoother. The two IEMs have different personalities and are complementary in that respect. Preference is a matter of style and both are good examples of their kind, but the PR3 is more musical and the AS16 Pro more technical.

Conclusion
Possessing a neutral, well-balanced profile, the PR3 shows the advantages of planar technology. The full-range driver displays excellent coherence, fast transients and a wide frequency response with good extension at both ends of the spectrum. There is no bass bleed or mid-bass bloat (often found with dynamic drivers) and the sometimes artificial timbre of balanced armatures is totally absent. There was a good balance between technicalities and musical expression and the soundstage is exceptionally proficient.

It is solidly built and comfortable in use with good isolation. The packaging is rather basic and the cable could be improved (chin slider please, KZ) but these are minor issues. Overall the PR3 is an excellent IEM and an ideal way to sample the planar sound without breaking the bank!
turns out its not that hard to make product page, Here

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-pr3.26874/

---
any other iem page you need?

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #63,255 of 64,221

Users who are viewing this thread

Back