Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 3, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #62,881 of 64,371
If you like a bright technical signature, the Simgot EA500 is something to consider.
I have a Simgot EW200, probably more or less comparable with the EA500.
I don't find it a spectacular set, not as detailed as I hoped.
The IEM is also small, and therefore for me more difficult to have a good fit, compared to the bigger KZ IEMS that I have.

I would advice for a PR2 and an AS16Pro High Impedance (or the normal, more sensitive, version if driven with a bluetooth set)

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #62,882 of 64,371
The IEM is also small, and therefore for me more difficult to have a good fit, compared to the bigger KZ IEMS that I have.

I would advice for a PR2 and an AS16Pro High Impedance (or the normal, more sensitive, version if driven with a bluetooth set)

The EA500 is more refined than the EW200, in terms of tonality and technicalities, plus it has tuning nozzles. Can't expect the moon for $50, but it is probably the midFI equivalent sound of just 5 - 6 years ago.

The PR2 is marred by scammish QC from KZ. The first batch that was hyped by reviewers were good, but the subsequent batches had a stealth revision without a mesh. And these sound shouty and overly bright. A pity though, penny wise pound foolish on KZ's part.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #62,883 of 64,371
The EA500 is more refined than the EW200, in terms of tonality and technicalities, plus it has tuning nozzles. Can't expect the moon for $50, but it is probably the midFI equivalent sound of just 5 - 6 years ago.

The PR2 is marred by scammish QC from KZ. The first batch that was hyped by reviewers were good, but the subsequent batches had a stealth revision without a mesh. And these sound shouty and overly bright. A pity though, penny wise pound foolish on KZ's part.
I'm happy with PR2 v2. With foam tips it's very good and I can listen for hours, with dunu s&s I find it fatiguing after a while.

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #62,884 of 64,371
I'm happy with PR2 v2. With foam tips it's very good and I can listen for hours, with dunu s&s I find it fatiguing after a while.
Although I didn’t get the PR2 v1 that KZ promised, I still find the PR v2 upper treble performance is easier to rectify with eartips compared to my S12. I’ve tried multiple eartips on my S12, none of them mitigate the gritty treble I hear on them on a lot songs.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #62,886 of 64,371
Which eartips? Or do you just mean, in general the problem can be rectified with them?
Specifically, I’m using long, narrow bore eartips from my 7Hz Salnotes and Dioko. But long, wide bore eartips (such as the ones found with Truthear HEXA or OG Zero) can work too although a bit less subdued. The same can’t be said of my S12. My Dioko is great with Truthear long, wide bore eartips, but I couldn’t find anything else that get the upper treble to where I liked them

7Hz Salnotes eartips on PR2 v2 pictured below:
IMG_9771.jpegIMG_9772.jpeg

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #62,887 of 64,371
Specifically, I’m using long, narrow bore eartips from my 7Hz Salnotes and Dioko. But long, wide bore eartips (such as the ones found with Truthear HEXA or OG Zero) can work too although a bit less subdued. The same can’t be said of my S12. My Dioko is great with Truthear long, wide bore eartips, but I couldn’t find anything else that get the upper treble to where I liked them

7Hz Salnotes eartips on PR2 v2 pictured below:
treble taming narrow bore?
my go to would be FinalAudio Final-E eartips.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #62,888 of 64,371
AS16 Pro arrived today. Ordered on 26th October from Ali Express for £26. Very impressed so far, the immediacy and transient attack is great. Using Hidizs AP80 Pro X with KBEAR Limpid Pro pure silver cable, stock medium Starlines. This track sounds amazing. Check out that guitar:

Great to hear that you liked AS16 pro.
I think it is a really great all-BA IEM for well under $50 (mesh removal worked for me great to get most enjoyable treble).

To me, the fact that many KZ IEMs are loved and hated is great - they have some specific tuning/signature and not tuned like toasters to "the curve".

Surely, it is OK for "totls" to be quite different and made of different components during their production - they are "artisan" items with constantly perfected tuning, right?
While KZ with multi-thousand unit production is expected to adhere to much higher standards. Perhaps, really great that it is expected of KZ :)
One person, that we know, designed/tuned recently IEM "for masses", right, with about a hundred units (perhaps 150) made. In this context, 500k+ ZS10 pros finding their pair of ears seem to be a bit more fitting to this definition. I recently revisited ZS10 pro I so much prefer it to "toasters" like Hexa (I have very limited unrefined tastes, of course).

On a related note, have you seen direct comparisons of Castors with "Project Red" - the reviewer community is surprisingly mute on it - would be great to know how exactly "garbagy" is KZ in this simple comparison.

Pwrhaps, that community is hectic with an anticipated $1099 (carefully priced) Precog & Co's IEM. Any clue why is he not assigned as a "member of trade" here now?

Re-reading my comment, I need to add that I am not associated with KZ in any form, just oddly loving their IEMs (not PR and "collabs").

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #62,889 of 64,371
Great to hear that you liked AS16 pro.
I think it is a really great all-BA IEM for well under $50 (mesh removal worked for me great to get most enjoyable treble).

To me, the fact that many KZ IEMs are loved and hated is great - they have some specific tuning/signature and not tuned like toasters to "the curve".

Surely, it is OK for "totls" to be quite different and made of different components during their production - they are "artisan" items with constantly perfected tuning, right?
While KZ with multi-thousand unit production is expected to adhere to much higher standards. Perhaps, really great that it is expected of KZ :)
One person, that we know, designed/tuned recently IEM "for masses", right, with about a hundred units (perhaps 150) made. In this context, 500k+ ZS10 pros finding their pair of ears seem to be a bit more fitting to this definition. I recently revisited ZS10 pro I so much prefer it to "toasters" like Hexa (I have very limited unrefined tastes, of course).

On a related note, have you seen direct comparisons of Castors with "Project Red" - the reviewer community is surprisingly mute on it - would be great to know how exactly "garbagy" is KZ in this simple comparison.

Pwrhaps, that community is hectic with an anticipated $1099 (carefully priced) Precog & Co's IEM. Any clue why is he not assigned as a "member of trade" here now?

Re-reading my comment, I need to add that I am not associated with KZ in any form, just oddly loving their IEMs (not PR and "collabs").
Switched to my Xduoo X20 with 2.5mm balanced cable. Superb clarity and soundstage, excellent mids. This track is a good example:

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #62,890 of 64,371
Yeah I agree they are sooo much better with foam tips. I cannot stand to listen to them without foam tips, hence why I was asking earlier about how to dampen them better.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #62,892 of 64,371
More on the AS16 Pro. Still exploring the sound. Excellent BA bass on this track:

Lovely string tonality on this as well:

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #62,893 of 64,371

Better to go for Kiwi Ears Melody rather than PR2, at 89$.
I've a budget of 80 euro and haven't bought an iem since my zs10 pro X last Christmas and 11/11 is just around the corner. What, in your opinion, is the quintessential must have iem of 2023?
KZ ZAT if looking within the same brand. But melody will be my choice.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #62,894 of 64,371
More on the AS16 Pro. Still exploring the sound. Excellent BA bass on this track:

Lovely string tonality on this as well:

Great music!
To my ears BA timbre "works" nicely (since the moment I got 1 More Triple that I still cherish), especially for string music and most orchestral.
More to the contrary, many/most DDs do not sound great to me due to their perceived droniness/tubiness (There is a point of view that due to omnipresence of DD in reproduction devices, strong preference to the "DD sound" gets imprinted).
Not to digress further, AS16 pro is great. AS24 is definitely a good upgrade along these lines, but at about 2.5 times the price - more for dedicated all-AB affictionados.
Better to go for Kiwi Ears Melody rather than PR2, at 89$.

KZ ZAT if looking within the same brand. But melody will be my choice.
I tried to attempt a KZ hybrid comparison in the last few days, but digressed to all-BAs and blue cables :)

Anyhow, ZAT to me is very much at par with 1 More Penta and Phoenixcall.
The bass of ZAT, while mighty, does not feel tubby to me, compared to that of Penta. Bass of Phoenixcall feels the tightest and best integrated with BAs&SPDs - and I Iearned to appreciate this tuning with its lower pinna gain slowly but surely.

My problem with ZAT is that it is too bassy for me, I have to use extreme switch positions (all bass off, all treble on), and still I would possibly dial off bass a bit. Then, again only quantity is a bit too much, quality is good to my ears.

So if Castor bass/treble balance feels right, ZAT can be a mighty upgrade (is it worth 5+ times more is for each to decide).

I hope KZ will make "more Harman/lean" version of ZAT one day.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #62,895 of 64,371
Great music!
To my ears BA timbre "works" nicely (since the moment I got 1 More Triple that I still cherish), especially for string music and most orchestral.
More to the contrary, many/most DDs do not sound great to me due to their perceived droniness/tubiness (There is a point of view that due to omnipresence of DD in reproduction devices, strong preference to the "DD sound" gets imprinted).
Not to digress further, AS16 pro is great. AS24 is definitely a good upgrade along these lines, but at about 2.5 times the price - more for dedicated all-AB affictionados.

I tried to attempt a KZ hybrid comparison in the last few days, but digressed to all-BAs and blue cables :)

Anyhow, ZAT to me is very much at par with 1 More Penta and Phoenixcall.
The bass of ZAT, while mighty, does not feel tubby to me, compared to that of Penta. Bass of Phoenixcall feels the tightest and best integrated with BAs&SPDs - and I Iearned to appreciate this tuning with its lower pinna gain slowly but surely.

My problem with ZAT is that it is too bassy for me, I have to use extreme switch positions (all bass off, all treble on), and still I would possibly dial off bass a bit. Then, again only quantity is a bit too much, quality is good to my ears.

So if Castor bass/treble balance feels right, ZAT can be a mighty upgrade (is it worth 5+ times more is for each to decide).

I hope KZ will make "more Harman/lean" version of ZAT one day.
Thanks my BA buddy! Glad you liked the music (after all that's what it's all about!).

My all BAs, in KZ I have AS16 Pro, AS12, AST and BA10. I think AS16 Pro is the best so far, finally replacing my venerable BA10.

I did have CCA A10, C16 and CS16 but these were too bright for me. Also have TRN BA5 and X7 which are both good, Hidizs MD4, Aiderlot M5 and Westone AM Pro X10.

Bearing this in mind have you any recommendations for other all BA IEMs apart from AS24?

Also agree about Castor, it is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back