Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 24, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #62,671 of 64,247
I moved from AKG240 headphones and after all I read about IEMs I was expecting much, much more than what I got. KZ ESX is considerably worse in almost every aspect. From the most obvious and expected things like smaller soundstage to poor detail retreival, separacy and bass bleeding into other frequencies. So I guess I'm looking for an IEM that is at least as good as K240.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #62,672 of 64,247
I moved from AKG240 headphones and after all I read about IEMs I was expecting much, much more than what I got. KZ ESX is considerably worse in almost every aspect. From the most obvious and expected things like smaller soundstage to poor detail retreival, separacy and bass bleeding into other frequencies. So I guess I'm looking for an IEM that is at least as good as K240.
As24 is better or much better then k240 in many aspects ( resolution , insight on timbral accuracy , mids , voices , good and fair balance through bass mids and highs ).. and : not much of a Vshape really to hear here too.

Been a time I departed from k240 so .. with a grain of salt..

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #62,675 of 64,247
Hopefully the ZAT have bass tuning a la Castor Bass edition, the clean cut tuck in bass but more technicalities on upper side

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #62,676 of 64,247
Hopefully the ZAT have bass tuning a la Castor Bass edition, the clean cut tuck in bass but more technicalities on upper side
Castor with better quality DD for Bass and 8 BA to take care the Mid-Treble should be interesting enough.
If KZ capable to maintain the coherence like castor did but with 1DD+8BA, getting natural smooth sound from 8BA, it should be great contender.

But this is being KZ. Its kinda hard to guess what comes next.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #62,677 of 64,247
My setup for KZ Castor Bass Edition

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_141830.jpg
    IMG_20230925_141830.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #62,678 of 64,247
you will not believe me but I have to share this. I purchased KZ PR2, since I want to experience Planar driver with lower price. Actually I really like the Tangzu HBB heyday graph, but it's price can affect to my hobby activity...

The PR2 doesn't have any harshness in treble at all. I couldn't believe my ears at first time, completely opposite to any feedback about V2. (mine is V2, new, with no mesh). I bought it because there are other claims, saying it doesn't have any issue with treble at all.

For reference, I do see a slight harshness at top end with Truthear Zero. I don't like the sibilance in Duo and Krilla. In both Castor, I have to turn off mid/treble switch. I mean maybe KZ did another modification on PR2 but its sound is really smooth, without any modifications.

IMG_20230925_162528.jpg

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #62,679 of 64,247
you will not believe me but I have to share this. I purchased KZ PR2, since I want to experience Planar driver with lower price. Actually I really like the Tangzu HBB heyday graph, but it's price can affect to my hobby activity...

The PR2 doesn't have any harshness in treble at all. I couldn't believe my ears at first time, completely opposite to any feedback about V2. (mine is V2, new, with no mesh). I bought it because there are other claims, saying it doesn't have any issue with treble at all.

For reference, I do see a slight harshness at top end with Truthear Zero. I don't like the sibilance in Duo and Krilla. In both Castor, I have to turn off mid/treble switch. I mean maybe KZ did another modification on PR2 but its sound is really smooth, without any modifications.

IMG_20230925_162528.jpg
we have KZ PR2 V3 now?

...pretty sure we have one member who owned like 4 unit of PR2, "uuh, yeah good news, we might saw something that could be a V3"

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #62,680 of 64,247
we have KZ PR2 V3 now?

...pretty sure we have one member who owned like 4 unit of PR2, "uuh, yeah good news, we might saw something that could be a V3"
it can be, in fact, it sounds like a dynamic driver for me. Even with tanchjm tip, the mid is thicc, mid-bass is slightly bloated. I have to use Spring tip to improve the tonality (sharper, colder). PR2 also has a driver flex issue. I am not sure if it will affect to the driver quality in long term. My K3003 also has driver flex and still rocks.

The thread on Reddit that inpsired me to buy.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...new_kz_pr2_planar_iems_arrived_today_i_still/

Other pics with my beloved K3003, the 1st hybrid iems in the world.

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_165246.jpg
    IMG_20230925_165246.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230925_165310.jpg
    IMG_20230925_165310.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #62,681 of 64,247
Anyone got the KZ AZ20 bluetooth adaptor? Thinking to get one for my Castor Bass.

My UTWS5 is mmcx, i have an adapter but the hook became too long and doesn't fit well.

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #62,682 of 64,247
i really hope they bring a competitor to the em6l and the upcoming truthear hybrid. these look very cool.
Again, I hope KZ can make ZAX with a tighter DD like in Kryla or Castor.
The balance can be delicate, hopefully switches will help with fine-tuning to individual preferences.

As for the Truthear, I am personally not sure how much KZ should go there into the "tuning by the curve".
I have Hola and Hexa.
I really like Hola tuning, that is bass and mids. Treble is limited/poor, and it may be fair that for $20, one does not pay for the treble....
Hexa has a great resolving treble, but then bass is just not any fun - perhaps for $80, the engaging bass is not included.
Idealistically, one may hope that in their next $100 IEM - Truthear may get both. I am personally not willing to try after Hexa and Shio (a disappointing DAC). I will better stick with KZ.

Actually, looking at Trifecta (and sharing my impressions here)- 6 Ohm (!!), 3 DDs in a strange triangular arrangement relative to the nozzle. To make these DDs to sound in-phase surely requires a flagship-level effort, and many still think that it is not there. Then some just love this less-coherent, but fun IEM....

Anyhow, KZ always delivered fun, (one way or another) so here is a great/golden opportunity for KZ to transcend from earlier CA imitations to full-blown supremacy by "beating Trifecta for about 1/100 of its price), by simply building on a Castor with 2-3 more smaller DD axially arranged similar to DQ6. This design will be naturally simpler with the coherency, and a lot of fun can be unleashed :) :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #62,683 of 64,247
The balance can be delicate, hopefully switches will help with fine-tuning to individual preferences.

As for the Truthear, I am personally not sure how much KZ should go there into the "tuning by the curve".
I have Hola and Hexa.
I really like Hola tuning, that is bass and mids. Treble is limited/poor, and it may be fair that for $20, one does not pay for the treble....
Hexa has a great resolving treble, but then bass is just not any fun - perhaps for $80, the engaging bass is not included.
Idealistically, one may hope that in their next $100 IEM - Truthear may get both. I am personally not willing to try after Hexa and Shio (a disappointing DAC). I will better stick with KZ.

Actually, looking at Trifecta (and sharing my impressions here)- 6 Ohm (!!), 3 DDs in a strange triangular arrangement relative to the nozzle. To make these DDs to sound in-phase surely requires a flagship-level effort, and many still think that it is not there. Then some just love this less-coherent, but fun IEM....

Anyhow, KZ always delivered fun, (one way or another) so here is a great/golden opportunity for KZ to transcend from earlier CA imitations to full-blown supremacy by "beating Trifecta at about 1/100 of the cost), by simply building on a Castor with 2-3 more smaller DD axially arranged similar to DQ6. This design will be naturally simpler with the coherency, and a lot of fun can be unleashed :) :)

The Trifecta's retail price is a major joke at US$3,375.00. It looks like a scrotum too.

But on a serious note, I auditioned the Trifecta thrice for extended periods. The Trifecta is very lowFI sounding and I do think some CHIFI IEMs at 1/10 the price can outresolve it in technicalities.

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #62,684 of 64,247

I have Hola and Hexa.

Anyhow, KZ always delivered fun, (one way or another) so here is a great/golden opportunity for KZ to transcend from earlier CA imitations to full-blown supremacy by "beating Trifecta for about 1/100 of its price), by simply building on a Castor with 2-3 more smaller DD axially arranged similar to DQ6. This design will be naturally simpler with the coherency, and a lot of fun can be unleashed :) :)
Perhaps the new ZAT will be what you are looking for. 1DD + 8BA with tuning switches.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #62,685 of 64,247

Around 2 weeks ago, Dan's Audio Reviews also got himself a pr2 and his impressions were similar to yours. At first i didn't take it too seriously but after he posted the measurements of his pr2, i thought maybe they indeed retuned it again. The pr2 v3? one is Dan's measurements.

v1 MP145.png

V2 MP145.png

V3 MP145.png

There are clearly two dips at 7k and 13k on Dan's unit that are not present on the v2. Looks like they tried to tune it closer to the mesh verison. This is what they should've done with v2 actually, insted of removing the mesh and leaving customers with intense treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back