Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 30, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #61,727 of 64,219
Very light but noticeable driver flex on both sides.
But it doesn't bother me at all because I love them with a genuine love (as only a man can love a technical device)🤭
I find that my Shanling M3X (balanced/high gain) can give them enough power, but I like them best with another Matrix bug: the Douk Audio U5 (miniature nuclear power plant⚡).

May 30, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #61,729 of 64,219
Look what arrived today. Can't wait to try them out.

Attachments

• 20230530_172350.jpg
    20230530_172350.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 30, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #61,730 of 64,219
Got my PR2 yesterday. I think I got something loose on my left earphone. When I shake my head with the earphone on without cable, I can hear something shaking inside, possibly a small loose solder piece.
Could also be a piece of dried glue. I've had that before. Can you see anything through the shell? Any sound issues on the left side? Is yours without the driver mesh (v2)?

May 30, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #61,731 of 64,219
Hey guys,
I know you are all hyped about the PR2 these days. But Im here writting about the AST.
These IEM are really good and sound fantastic. I think they are quite overlooked these days and not many users know about these. Their implementation of all those 24 BAs is superb. Although I have another interesting pieces in my collection I cannot get enough of these. Excellent sound which I think reach far higher than their asking price. If anybody is interested in pure / multiple BAs set and doesnt want to spend a fortune this should be definitely your next purchase. I have them just for 3 weeks now but still the wow factor is there. I never thought I am going to like BA bass but I love it.

I hope you find this interesting just few key points to also consider:

* They are quite big, they fit my ears just so so

* They are very sensitive to cable pairing.. im using Tripowin Jelly and I think that is also the part of exceptional sound

* They are also slightly dark and if you like crips trebble you might not enjoy, I am using EQ so no complains about trebble either

Perhaps there is already enough info about these thread already but I am not going over 4000 pages to investigate. Just a small recommendation to get amazing and very technical IEM for a limited budget.

Also small comparison to the PR1 Pro... the PR1 Pro is very clean, fast and full of details. The bass is great too but overall the sound comparing to the AST is thin... very thin.
The AST offers full body sound at least to my ears. Of course this also depends on the genre you prefer, I am enjoye pretty much all genres. The best for AST is electronic or something complex. Something like Doom soundrack sounds out of words really.

Well done KZ, cant wait for their next full BA set.

Happy Listening :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #61,732 of 64,219
Perhaps there is already enough info about these thread already but I am not going over 4000 pages to investigate. Just a small recommendation to get amazing and very technical IEM for a limited budget.
I read your amazing review https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-17563169 and ordered AST too. Now it's on delivery.
I started reading this thread and already bookmarked @saldsald's posts https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-17393190

May 31, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #61,733 of 64,219
Could also be a piece of dried glue. I've had that before. Can you see anything through the shell? Any sound issues on the left side? Is yours without the driver mesh (v2)?
Mine is the v2 without any mesh over the driver, no sound issues but driver flex is louder on the left and on right side easier to trigger, even just twitching my ear or moving my jaw makes a small ticking noise.

The glue seems inconsistent and excessive in places particularly around the sides where a little has seeped out(scraped it off though), no visible glue over the front of the driver
nothing blocking the front port.
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_20230531_175357_1.jpg
IMG_20230531_175414_1.jpg

May 31, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #61,735 of 64,219
Mine is the v2 without any mesh over the driver, no sound issues but driver flex is louder on the left and on right side easier to trigger, even just twitching my ear or moving my jaw makes a small ticking noise.

The glue seems inconsistent and excessive in places particularly around the sides where a little has seeped out(scraped it off though), no visible glue over the front of the driver
nothing blocking the front port.
Nice macro images, thanks. These really show the imperfections of "budget set" production. No doubt KZ rushed these out of the door with 1000+ orders in the AE Global store alone. If you watch some teardown videos like Hi-Fri's, these guys put in excess amounts of glue without any surgical precision. If SQ is not affected on your set, then maybe just ignore the issue. If you're into modifications, try to take off the screen and see it the piece falls out. The screen has glue around the rim and can be placed back in. I've taken mine out and tried to remove the driver mesh but it's stuck to the driver and won't budge. I'm also testing different filters for additional dampening.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #61,736 of 64,219
Hey guys,
I know you are all hyped about the PR2 these days. But Im here writting about the AST.
These IEM are really good and sound fantastic. I think they are quite overlooked these days and not many users know about these. Their implementation of all those 24 BAs is superb. Although I have another interesting pieces in my collection I cannot get enough of these. Excellent sound which I think reach far higher than their asking price. If anybody is interested in pure / multiple BAs set and doesnt want to spend a fortune this should be definitely your next purchase. I have them just for 3 weeks now but still the wow factor is there. I never thought I am going to like BA bass but I love it.

I hope you find this interesting just few key points to also consider:

* They are quite big, they fit my ears just so so

* They are very sensitive to cable pairing.. im using Tripowin Jelly and I think that is also the part of exceptional sound

* They are also slightly dark and if you like crips trebble you might not enjoy, I am using EQ so no complains about trebble either

Also small comparison to the PR1 Pro... the PR1 Pro is very clean, fast and full of details. The bass is great too but overall the sound comparing to the AST is thin... very thin.
The AST offers full body sound at least to my ears. Of course this also depends on the genre you prefer, I am enjoye pretty much all genres. The best for AST is electronic or something complex. Something like Doom soundrack sounds out of words really.

Well done KZ, cant wait for their next full BA set.

Happy Listening :)
Yes, I agree. AST is great, excellent coherence with all those drivers. Have a look at my review here:
https://audiosolace.com/kz-ast-review/

May 31, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #61,737 of 64,219
Today I found another great pairing for AST with ISN Audio S16 cable.
Very similar to Tripowin Jelly but bass is slightly more present plus the look is fantastic as you can see below.

Anybody knows if these need any burning process / period?
If yes, how many hours do you suggest?
Thanks

AST_ISN_S16.jpg

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #61,738 of 64,219
Today I found another great pairing for AST with ISN Audio S16 cable.
Very similar to Tripowin Jelly but bass is slightly more present plus the look is fantastic as you can see below.

Anybody knows if these need any burning process / period?
If yes, how many hours do you suggest?
Thanks

AST_ISN_S16.jpg
Burn in on all BA sets doesn't seem to make as much difference as in DD or planar sets. At least in my experience. Hopefully that's conservative enough in it's wording to avoid triggering anyone! :L3000:

May 31, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #61,740 of 64,219
I believe what some of us experienced on PR2 is not driver flex but a loose driver unit due to the removal of the acoustic mesh on the driver unit making it thinner.

It was on top of the driver, driver itself did not change at all, at least to my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back