Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 3, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #61,231 of 64,222
From that sound demo, I wonder if those in this thread who prefer the Pr1 skew older in age. For privacy's sake I'll only say that I'm under 30 years old and the Pr1 sounds much too strident for my tastes, but for someone lacking in that last octave or so in their hearing the Pr1 probably sounds pretty nice.

Also agree that the balance within the treble sounds slightly better on the Pr1, but stuff like that is why I have my Qudelix 5k 😉

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #61,232 of 64,222
Well, I skew older and prefer the PR2. I haven't watched the demo, but my PR2 arrived today and I've been comparing them. (Granted, only with about an hour of burn-in for the PR2.) I also can't stand foam tips and have been using Clarion Tri on both.

The PR1 Pro did come with a better cable. For those who do prefer the PR1 Pro, I'll have one in the classifieds soon. :smile_phones:

May 3, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #61,233 of 64,222
Well, I skew older and prefer the PR2. I haven't watched the demo, but my PR2 arrived today and I've been comparing them. (Granted, only with about an hour of burn-in for the PR2.) I also can't stand foam tips and have been using Clarion Tri on both.

The PR1 Pro did come with a better cable. For those who do prefer the PR1 Pro, I'll have one in the classifieds soon. :smile_phones:
One gripe that i have with PR1 Pro is its borderline treble spiciness and the tonality which is a bit dry and harsh.
At least compared to my previous daily iem, Aria, which have lush smooth sound (mildly sibilant early on, not sure whether the burn in or the eartips+cable change that manage to fix it)

Do PR2 better in that aspect?

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #61,234 of 64,222
One gripe that i have is PR1 Pro's borderline treble spiciness and the tonality which is a bit dry and harsh.
My previous daily is Aria which have lush smooth sound (mildly sibilant early on, not sure whether the burn in or the eartips+cable change that manage to fix it)

Do PR2 better in that aspect?
Yes, it's definitely better. There's still a touch of harshness, at least not burned in like it is, but it's improved for sure.

May 4, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #61,235 of 64,222
Yes, it's definitely better. There's still a touch of harshness, at least not burned in like it is, but it's improved for sure.
Do you have any other planars to compare it with?

May 4, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #61,237 of 64,222
I've yet to hear one that has real extension. And I've demoed a LOT. Could be tuning, could be the driver. Just having an EST tweeter doesn't mean it'll be extended, see monarch mk2.

If you know any notable ones I'd be happy to add them to my demo list.
I think adding EST "super tweeter" is just a way to remove the graininess by "filling the gap" by providing a different vibration pattern to support some BA tweeters and the extension is actually determined by the implementation of the BA instead. For example this is the graph of a retangular (not square) planar BA (33518) hybrid and it has very good treble extension but it's definitely not reflected on the graph.

1683187362454.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #61,239 of 64,222
Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #61,241 of 64,222
Unfortunately not much comparisons and no focus to which sound less metallic/more natural

Still waiting for conclusion if it reaches or not Zetian Wu timbre
I'll be happy if PR2 even approximates the Zetian Wu, it's potentially a daily workhorse planar for when I'm out of the house. I'm not expecting a Timeless, Heyday, S12 pro or Hook X, for less than the price of a Blon Z300 or a Cadenza!:L3000:

May 4, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #61,242 of 64,222
I'll be happy if PR2 even approximates the Zetian Wu, it's potentially a daily workhorse planar for when I'm out of the house. I'm not expecting a Timeless, Heyday, S12 pro or Hook X, for less than the price of a Blon Z300 or a Cadenza!:L3000:
I have the OG Zetian Wu and love it; planned to order Rapto Hook X HBB, but ordered the PR2 instead.; it is in my country just after customs.
If the PR2 just half as good (and sounds like) the Zetian Wu, I will be glad.

May 4, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #61,243 of 64,222
Of my all BA iem's my BA10's are still my best sounding all BA iem to date, I have them with more BA's Audiosense DT600, TRN X7's and BGVP DM7 as well as less BA's Reecho Peacocks, Hidizs MD4's and of course the direct 5 BA competitor BGVP DM6 but for my ears the BA10 (as Little Red Riding Hood said are) just right :grin: :v:

They absolutely sing on my M2/Tomahawk pairing:beerchug:

Chi-Fi Doodle Doo.JPG

My BA10's are so sweet I never jumped on another KZ all BA or CCA!

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #61,244 of 64,222
Do you have any other planars to compare it with?
I don't have the PR1/pro but quick compare with S12pro: PR2 bass is less present and impactful, but fast enough without affecting mids, midrange is a bit more forward with drier timbre that affects note weight, noticeable in vocals, treble is less spicy, average stage but more transparent due to reserved bass, neutral(ish) tuning, imaging and layering is similar in both, smooth overall, loves power like any planar, no distortions at higher volume (only if I switch to high gain, which makes sense at ~15ohm impedance). I have not noticed annoying peaks so far, being somewhat treble sensitive. For my acoustic library, PR2 is definitely a keeper.

May 4, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #61,245 of 64,222
I have the OG Zetian Wu and love it; planned to order Rapto Hook X HBB, but ordered the PR2 instead.; it is in my country just after customs.
If the PR2 just half as good (and sounds like) the Zetian Wu, I will be glad.
I'm expecting a zetian wu heyday with better treble extension, denser note weight (not the muddy kind) 😬

Call me unreasonable but if HBB said that it may be the best planar at any price range, it might just be true considering that he tuned the excellent heyday.

What I AM afraid of is the production units having a different tuning than the one he was sent. Which may be the case from the graph we have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back