Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #60,181 of 64,289
They changed ui of the mobile app a few month ago. Since then, plenty of issues remain. At least first sorting algorithm wasn't even working. Now there's this issue that keyboard doesn't show up when you press on search bar. You need to go back and come again. Despite using English language, it still switches to the regional language from time to time. Issues with messages insisting on you to update the app even though it's updated and so on...
ha yes, those kind of issues. I do indeed still have a lot of them, but I also have them on the web version.
I'm kinda new to AliExpress so I thought it was the "standard" :D
Thank you for the details, hopefully they'll get that sorted out before long.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #60,182 of 64,289
he is a bit salty when KZ got piled on for misguided statement from somedude that kz have "fake" drivers and gumiho got almost got a pass calling that planar-like dd, a planar...
that being said, bad wording, bad move on KZ-rep.
---
Its out in ali at early discount on $60~$70 (with ++ extra discount)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004791687722.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $110.00!US $66.00!!!!!@210318c216642760790988030eba54!12000030502460939!sh&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_2911412.pic_0
Ordered it.
With the direct discounts, below $60. Could not say "no" as KZ fan, I guess. Hopefully, it will arrive soon.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #60,183 of 64,289
Ordered it.
With the direct discounts, below $60. Could not say "no" as KZ fan, I guess. Hopefully, it will arrive soon.
I'll hold my horses. I was quite tempted to buy CCA's planar. But I didn't and I'll wait till black Friday. Just wondering how many new planar iems will be released

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #60,184 of 64,289
I'll hold my horses. I was quite tempted to buy CCA's planar. But I didn't and I'll wait till black Friday. Just wondering how many new planar iems will be released

By Black Friday, I think we will have at least 10 other planars from various CHIFI brands released LOLOL! KZ and CCA might have released multiple pokemon planar sidegrades too, by that date! Every CHIFI and their cat and dog has a FOMO (Fear of missing out) and has jumped on the planar bandwagon.

Ordered it.

Look forward to your reviews! Thanks for taking one for the team!

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #60,189 of 64,289
It's globally neutral, with big mountain peak attend 10/16khz.

For wow effect... But I'm comparison to TRN ST5/KIRIN I'm not convinced

Maybe for classical... I'll see

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #60,190 of 64,289
Both KZ PR1 and CCA PLA13 have the same driver as seen on Aliexpress. I wonder why they did not make Black (Balanced Edition) fully metal like Silver one. If PLA13 sound like DD then PR1 should sound like DD as well.
The silver version is just electroplated resin I believe. I wish it's really full metal or I would have already bought it.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #60,191 of 64,289
CCA PLA13 is way too warm stock... but is excellent once you tame that.
KZ PR1 HiFi version sounds like a stock form of the tweaks I did on the PLA13.
Guess I'm getting another Planar.
1664325916293.png

It seems KZ is attempting to tame the subbass to ensure it wasn't disturbing other frequencies.

1664325990904.png

Compared to the current planar king (if you can get pr1 in discount, its 1/3 the price of the current king)

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #60,192 of 64,289
I have been using the KZ P1 Hifi since I have it delivered and it's very power hungry so I don't recommend using them off a weak sauce or even a phone.

They definitely have that treble extension and shame you can't see into the shell on this variant.
I'd love to know how these compare to the Celeste.
It's globally neutral, with big mountain peak attend 10/16khz.

For wow effect... But I'm comparison to TRN ST5/KIRIN I'm not convinced

Maybe for classical... I'll see
Same price and discount at KZ Earphones Franchised Store but with free shipping!

Introductory coupons are valid until the end of next week.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #60,193 of 64,289
I posted this on 9/12 in the CCA Thread:

I'm starting to wonder if IEMs like the CCA PLA13 are intentionally tuned a bit "off" as the first model, then they get "refined" into a better, more expensive product with a better tuning.

I'm not a fan of the PLA13 ootb at all. With a tip, cable, and EQ change, I'm really liking it. It sounds far more crisp and capable, almost like a completely new IEM. I'm getting excellent bass response, and the fixed mids and treble sound so much more natural and present.

I could easily see CCA releasing a "Pro" version of this with the adjusted tuning and a $20 price bump. Maybe I just spoiled the Q1 2023 plan?
Turns out it was the 2 week later plan without the price bump, and KZ instead.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #60,194 of 64,289
Did anyone else get the ZS10 Pro X yet? Mine arrived the other day and I'm just getting around to it.

Does it make my jaw drop like the original did years ago? No, too much competition that now exists which didn't back then.

Is it great for ~$38? Yep. Minimal frequency adjustments needed across the spectrum (slight subbass, mids, and treble tweaks). Tuning can be fully enjoyed without tweaks for a quality daily beater from my first impressions.

I'm wondering where this will sit with the PR1 releasing though? Enjoy both for ~$100 maybe?

Sep 28, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #60,195 of 64,289
Wow, maybe a nice compensation for my inevitable hearing loss...
I'm really curious to try them on my 60 years old ears, that cannot go anymore past 12-13 kHz (and with a lot of attuenuation from about 10 kHz).
By the way, some days ago I read an interesting paper from Knowles that suggested a modification to Harman target response, aimed to accomodate the above hearing issues.
The proposal is an equalization filter centered at 16 kHz, Q=4 and a boost from +12 dB (for young listeners, with no impairment) and adding about +3 dB for each 10 years of additional hearing age.
I tried the +18 dB on my Moondrop Chu and I was very pleased. I returned to hear some '80s recordings with the same "air" perception in the upper-highs that I felt when I was only 20 years old.

Here is the proposed equalization:

Knowles_Response_Curve_White_Paper_2022.jpg
Hi, I know this is a sample of one (me) :) I know my hearing frequency range is about average for my age. A bit less high frequency response in one ear. But anyway, I know I am treble sensitive and sound sensitive in general.

Just so you know, personally, upping the treble won't work for me. We don't need to equalise for our ears I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back