Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 29, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #55,396 of 64,285
It is very good. It is my first Moondrop IEM and I love their sound tuning. I have several single DD IEMs (Bl03, Bl01 and IT01) and the Aria feels complete whereas the other feels a bit compromised.
Thanks! You've just nudged me into seriously contemplating my first IEM buy beyond $30 in years—non-KZ/CCA too. I could get a pair for ~$56 with free shipping. Perhaps I could knock it down even further with vouchers and such...

Best Regards.

May 29, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #55,397 of 64,285
It definitely takes a brave person to buy it with the graph looking like that, but all else fails, EQ can probably fix most of the problems. My concern is their use of BA arrays without any apparent tuning differences between each driver in the array. If you just keep stacking sound from the same type of driver without anything like passive filters or additional crossover tuning, you'll just be amplifying the peaks and troughs that are distinctive to that model of driver. Sometimes having more isn't always better. Well, it should be exciting one way or the other for the brave souls who take the plunge.
The arrays are a very smart idea to me. They can work similar to a string section in an orchestra - a beautiful smooth blended sound where several slightly different voices coming together in unison. Odd (harsher peaks) are diminished or canceled out by blending.

BAs are easier to tune and to make sound as intended by design compared to violins :); and I am sure KZ did an acoustic design of the array.

That also brings the point of Bellsings (or KZ-modified/developed versions of BAs) that you mentioned in another thread.

Bellsing BAs were used to be less dampened compared to Knowles and Sonion ones, that made them sound comparatively as steel vs. synthetic strings.
Yet, less dampened BAs are more agile with the faster response time (and hence details and resolution), and their arrays can be great for the best combination of resolution and less harshness.

I personally came to KZ from Fiio (F9 pro, FH1), where they used Knowles. I do prefer simple CA4 to FH1. Last year I got few Knowles and Sonion-based BA designs to compare "what I may miss" - these expenses taught me that I still can be very happy with KZ/CCA :)
Knowles 29689 is really great for the crystal clear midrange. KZ is yet to get this in "their mids" (if they opt to from their V-shape preferences). For the rest of the range KZ is doing perfectly fine to me, their recent "new generation" bass BA is really great, in my opinion/preference.

My ASX with the wide nozzles (replaced those mind-boggling sound-striangulating original narrow ones) work really great to my taste. For instance, I got recently Aria(2) out of curiosity, Aria is a nice design with a very well thought acoustic signature, yet less resolving and less fun to my ears.

Campfire actually used some Bellsings in their IEMs, as it was mentioned in the lawsuit of Knowles.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #55,398 of 64,285
The arrays are a very smart idea to me. They can work similar to a string section in an orchestra - a beautiful smooth blended sound where several slightly different voices coming together in unison. Odd (harsher peaks) are diminished or canceled out by blending.

BAs are easier to tune and to make sound as intended by design compared to violins :); and I am sure KZ did an acoustic design of the array.

That also brings the point of Bellsings (or KZ-modified/developed versions of BAs) that you mentioned in another thread.

Bellsing BAs were used to be less dampened compared to Knowles and Sonion ones, that made them sound comparatively as steel vs. synthetic strings.
Yet, less dampened BAs are more agile with the faster response time (and hence details and resolution), and their arrays can be great for the best combination of resolution and less harshness.

I personally came to KZ from Fiio (F9 pro, FH1), where they used Knowles. I do prefer simple CA4 to FH1. Last year I got few Knowles and Sonion-based BA designs to compare "what I may miss" - these expenses taught me that I still can be very happy with KZ/CCA :)
Knowles 29689 is really great for the crystal clear midrange. KZ is yet to get this in "their mids" (if they opt to from their V-shape preferences). For the rest of the range KZ is doing perfectly fine to me, their recent "new generation" bass BA is really great, in my opinion/preference.

My ASX with the wide nozzles (replaced those mind-boggling sound-striangulating original narrow ones) work really great to my taste. For instance, I got recently Aria(2) out of curiosity, Aria is a nice design with a very well thought acoustic signature, yet less resolving and less fun to my ears.

Campfire actually used some Bellsings in their IEMs, as it was mentioned in the lawsuit of Knowles.
I transitioned from my CCA CKX to my TRI Starseas because they are more resolving. I can only attribute that to their use of Knowles and their own in-house HF BA driver. If they tune a number of drivers in a BA driver array to help smooth the peaks and troughs in their overall response while building gain through multiple drivers, then this is an absolutely fantastic idea. As far as I can tell, this is not what they have done. I know that is definitely not what they did in the CCA CKX, as denoted by the severe peak gain in the treble. Maybe they'll spend some time retuning their BA arrays to make their frequency response build more sensibly for a pro model, that's always a possibility, but their current graphs look... ...scary. my personal opinion on the matter: I love rooting for an underdog to sweep the market with a comparatively inexpensive solution. It's why I do still really like my CCA CKX. A bit of tip rolling and EQ and they do sound fantastic, way better than they really have any right to at that price point, but when you move more upmarket and your pricing treads on TRI's stuff but your graphs look way scarier than the obvious competition in the Starseas, you're not doing yourself any favors. And the worst part is that the tech they're using is really, really cool and has loads of potential. 3D printed sound tubes are such a cool bit of tech, especially in a sub-$150 product with this many drivers, but they don't appear to be capitalizing on what they've put into them in meaningful ways that would make it a more universally appealing product. What is more injurious to their cause is that this isn't even their first foray into multi-driver 3D printed sound tube IEMs. They've been doing it on their other IEMs which feature generally more reasonable FR graphs. I want them to succeed and really push into the Chi-fi mid-fi market in a big way, I really do, but the ASF doesn't seem like it'll do that in its current revision. That's why I'm so critical.

May 29, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #55,399 of 64,285
If they tune a number of drivers in a BA driver array to help smooth the peaks and troughs in their overall response while building gain through multiple drivers, then this is an absolutely fantastic idea.

We can hope as CCA has done it before with a single 30095 to tame XUN treble peaks.
Hi, here is the FR of the CSN with the BA disconnected (XUN only). I also have the FR of the CSN with the BA and the DQ6 plotted here. Guess which is which. This result is more than interesting and confirmed my speculation is right. I also tested with my ears.

CSN vs CSN no BA vs DQ6.PNG

May 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #55,400 of 64,285
We can hope as CCA has done it before with a single 30095 to tame XUN treble peaks.
It is not exactly like this. I am not 100% sure but the 30095 makes up about 5% of the overall sound and the RC circuit together with the impedance of the 30095 actually cuts the response of the XUN. One of my units was wired incorrectly but I couldn't pick up any difference meaning the 30095 almost makes no sound. Both the CSN and the DQ6 I consider them very odd in design. There is a very tiny hole for the 30095 to transmit the sound to the nozzle so the volume is really low. Afterall the XUN is such a full frequency driver which needs very little tonal addition.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #55,401 of 64,285
I transitioned from my CCA CKX to my TRI Starseas because they are more resolving. I can only attribute that to their use of Knowles and their own in-house HF BA driver. If they tune a number of drivers in a BA driver array to help smooth the peaks and troughs in their overall response while building gain through multiple drivers, then this is an absolutely fantastic idea. As far as I can tell, this is not what they have done. I know that is definitely not what they did in the CCA CKX, as denoted by the severe peak gain in the treble. Maybe they'll spend some time retuning their BA arrays to make their frequency response build more sensibly for a pro model, that's always a possibility, but their current graphs look... ...scary. my personal opinion on the matter: I love rooting for an underdog to sweep the market with a comparatively inexpensive solution. It's why I do still really like my CCA CKX. A bit of tip rolling and EQ and they do sound fantastic, way better than they really have any right to at that price point, but when you move more upmarket and your pricing treads on TRI's stuff but your graphs look way scarier than the obvious competition in the Starseas, you're not doing yourself any favors. And the worst part is that the tech they're using is really, really cool and has loads of potential. 3D printed sound tubes are such a cool bit of tech, especially in a sub-$150 product with this many drivers, but they don't appear to be capitalizing on what they've put into them in meaningful ways that would make it a more universally appealing product. What is more injurious to their cause is that this isn't even their first foray into multi-driver 3D printed sound tube IEMs. They've been doing it on their other IEMs which feature generally more reasonable FR graphs. I want them to succeed and really push into the Chi-fi mid-fi market in a big way, I really do, but the ASF doesn't seem like it'll do that in its current revision. That's why I'm so critical.
I do not have either CKX or Starseas.
I used to be a great fn of CCA, collecting "all their Pokémons" but their recent offerings put me off a bit, and I can't have it all...
I believe that CKX are tuned politely, along C10 lines.
For me, ZAX is great on BA side, and the DD can be more polite/contained, while CA16 have amazing DD/BA integration with the fairly curtailed/tamed treble, likely due to their narrow nozzles.
I am biased to think that ZAX and CA16 offer a great pair for the introduction to hybrid IEM sound for ~$100.

Starseas have the impedance of 9.5 Ohm - huge " no-no " for me, since a rare source can drive the loads below 16 Ohm properly. Cosequently, the sound can become dependent of cables, charging state, loudness, etc. It can be "fun" but not for me.

I agree that ASF and ASX with their narrow nozzles may work only for few people.
Why new AST still have narrow nozzles is beyond me. I ordered them as an all-BA development kit - to see what KZ done with the BA array and what can be done with the sound of 12 BAs per side upon modification.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #55,402 of 64,285
BGGAR have his hands on KZ AST, apparently its his personal best KZ set.

Yes, he goes off on to several tangent,
but apparently great BA bass, good mids, ok vocal, good treble, great resolution but still need a bit more speed in mids/strings to be great.
Better than recent DQ6 and CCA CA16.

All in all, its not CS16 or ASX situation.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #55,404 of 64,285
Green AST on the way! If it sounds better than ZAX or YBF, I'll be happy. (I'm hard to please, I know)

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #55,405 of 64,285
graph (13).png

May 30, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #55,406 of 64,285
May 31, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #55,409 of 64,285
Not sure what to expect on AST without a DD lol. Pretty excited, tho..! Less treble(and more base) than Lokahi should be perfect. (Edit - and it is!)
zax ast lokahi.png

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #55,410 of 64,285
Not sure about the accuracy, but BGGAR noted the mid bass hump is KX trying to compesate BA bass to be on par with DD bass

Actually there is nothing to compensate, they have different characters. Good BA bass can have great depth and impact but still cant have "air moving" feeling that caused additional "impact experience". But on positive side, BA bass usually have good speed as standard. Tuning the mid bass overly big isnt help in this case. Too early to raise made 100-200hz area too much, too dirty or bloomy. Would love to have better KZ with similar to DQ6 tuning. just a little more boost in sub bass and put little bit sponge damper to the peaky mountains on highs. Why dont they just use XUN driver for the bass? So far with my long journey with KZ , XUN driver is the best KZ can deliver to us seriously. My KZ Z1 TWS after simple mod with sponge and EQ is shaming other pricier TWS (in terms of sound quality only, not function, or battery life of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back