Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 22, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #55,351 of 64,261
Yes, only exception to Sennheiser HD25-1 II, although being used extensively as studio monitor headphone, it provides very punchy bass, works perfectly for Rock source.

That Heavy duty can still runs as good as new, and still hold place as my go-to headphone whenever I want to have an artificial concussion😂
I remember reading that MDR-7506 have a sibling which mostly the same but the sibling have better bass which it seems done to make it better "casual" earphone.
I think its the MDR-V6.

Anyhow these two used to be sold at nearly three times of its sticker price in my place, recently it went down to near sticker price which makes it really tempting.

May 22, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #55,352 of 64,261
May 22, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #55,353 of 64,261
I open up the ASX to check on the Crossover board and to my surprise, the 29689 is connected to reverse polarity intentionally. I don't have KZ 29689 datasheet, so I compare the termination with Bellsing and Knowles both show ASX 29689 is connected in the reverse phase. Then I simply rewired it back and the bass amount is double and become the most bass head unit I have. The Upper Mid and High also improve in resolution. Now the unit become EDM monster...the bass can sometimes become way too much for me.

I
Image 20218.jpeg

Image(1).jpeg

May 22, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #55,354 of 64,261
I open up the ASX to check on the Crossover board and to my surprise, the 29689 is connected to reverse polarity intentionally. I don't have KZ 29689 datasheet, so I compare the termination with Bellsing and Knowles both show ASX 29689 is connected in the reverse phase. Then I simply rewired it back and the bass amount is double and become the most bass head unit I have. The Upper Mid and High also improve in resolution. Now the unit become EDM monster...the bass can sometimes become way too much for me.

I
Hmm.. makes me wonder if some of them are wired incorrectly. The ASX released quite fast after its announcement so maybe they rushed to make them and since there are so many freaking drivers, the chance of something wrong is also higher. Just a thought.

May 23, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #55,355 of 64,261

I
I asked some sellers before and they told me it doesn't make a difference reversing the 'polarity' even they are specified as per the spec. Gonna verify this myself soon

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #55,356 of 64,261
I asked some sellers before and they told me it doesn't make a difference reversing the 'polarity' even they are specified as per the spec. Gonna verify this myself soon
When there is only one driver then the difference is less noticeable. But when there are multi-driver, some share the same frequency range and the reverse phase will cancel out each other. Try it out and share your thought after that, I hear significant changes after rewired the BA.

May 24, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #55,358 of 64,261
When there is only one driver then the difference is less noticeable. But when there are multi-driver, some share the same frequency range and the reverse phase will cancel out each other. Try it out and share your thought after that, I hear significant changes after rewired the BA.
Yea I will try that out but unfortunately I am kind of busy lately. Do you prefer the sound before or after rewiring?

Here is the data sheet of the 29689:
http://pmofbe463.pic3.ysjianzhan.cn/upload/EG-29689-000.pdf

probably same as knowles.

May 24, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #55,359 of 64,261
Yea I will try that out but unfortunately I am kind of busy lately. Do you prefer the sound before or after rewiring?

Here is the data sheet of the 29689:
http://pmofbe463.pic3.ysjianzhan.cn/upload/EG-29689-000.pdf

probably same as knowles.
I like the sound after rewired, I'm a bass guy, the unit now is more dynamic, bassy, detail, and resolving compare to the original.
I always like to check if i can hear the triangle in this song at time 3:22.

The sound does not present in the original setting of ASX but after rewired I can hear it

May 24, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #55,360 of 64,261
So I have replaced the CSN stock circuit board with my own with same value cap and resistor, and have my other pair of CSN the 30095 replaced with a 11.5ohm resistor (I used a variable resistor here).

Here is the measurement results:

Please click for larger image.
Light Yellow - Original CSN
Green - CSN with same value cap and resistor as the original (20ohm and 330nF (50V))
Orange - CSN with original circuit board and 30095 replaced with 11.5ohm resistor
Purple - CSN wtih XUN only (no circuit board)

Gotta say I didn't expect the Green and Orange curves to look like these.
Another quick update (thou I said I am kind of busy, it is just too easy to rewire):

CSN 30095 FR.PNG
Orange - XUN only without any RC; Green - 30095 only with original RC board and 22.5ohm resistor in parallel to simulate the load of XUN. Note: same output voltage from the DAP so the 30095 is at least 30dB lower in volume.

I can almost confirm that the 30095 is not doing anything there. Sad. I am not gonna do the reverse phase for the CSN, I think the sound path for the 30095 is almost blocked that's why the output volume is so low.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #55,361 of 64,261
I like the sound after rewired, I'm a bass guy, the unit now is more dynamic, bassy, detail, and resolving compare to the original.
I always like to check if i can hear the triangle in this song at time 3:22.

The sound does not present in the original setting of ASX but after rewired I can hear it

Haha, I used to use their song Viva La Vida to test my headphones cause the song is so congested (Seriously although they have some good songs, the mastering is just below average). Skipped to 3:22, opps, can't hear the triangle.

Seems like a good and easy mod for you. Too bad I sold my ASX but I am likely gonna get the AST.

May 25, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #55,362 of 64,261
ZS10 pro update:
Last night i decided to use my FiiO cable on the ZS10 and much better controlled vocals, still have a metallic edge but sssss and tststststs vastly reduced. I presume FiiO`s cable is just copper and ZS10 an iffy silver plated affair.
Cant use the ZS cable on the FiiO due to the plastic around the pins but pretty sure it`s rubbish.

Was fairly happy streaming ASOT to and from work today with the ZS10.

May 25, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #55,363 of 64,261
I could not resist AST any longer... (well at least few days after ordering $200+ of IEMs :))

Looking into AST BAs - just one 30095 (TRN BA15 have 7 per side that should be precisely positioned, I guess, with renowned TRN quality for $250 asked...)

Actually, AST BAs are quite similar to ZAX. I really like ZAX treble, BA bass can take care of too much bass (too my taste), promising here .

Still, with the narrow nozzles, AST is a more of a nice multi-BA development kit to me; and if it works - likely another one will need to be acquired :)

May 25, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #55,364 of 64,261
I could not resist AST any longer... (well at least few days after ordering $200+ of IEMs :))

Looking into AST BAs - just one 30095 (TRN BA15 have 7 per side that should be precisely positioned, I guess, with renowned TRN quality for $250 asked...)

Actually, AST BAs are quite similar to ZAX. I really like ZAX treble, BA bass can take care of too much bass (too my taste), promising here .

Still, with the narrow nozzles, AST is a more of a nice multi-BA development kit to me; and if it works - likely another one will need to be acquired :)
I may need to get one too....have a good feeling about this one.
The impedance went up to 30 compared to the ASX. Would that make it harder to drive using an iPod Touch?

May 25, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #55,365 of 64,261
I may need to get one too....have a good feeling about this one.
The impedance went up to 30 compared to the ASX. Would that make it harder to drive using an iPod Touch?
Should be sightly harder to drive, unless your device has to go all the way up for ASX it should drive AST fine.
ASX 20 ohm, 106db/mW vs AST 30 ohm, 103db/mW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back