Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #55,066 of 64,373
3E5BC83E-0E9F-4A58-91CE-1A1B8A3D7B9B.jpegB6129FCF-72B8-4C5A-923E-19B3CDF8753C.jpeg
Try DQ6 with tripowin Zonie, it’s $17 on amazon. Good fit and best touch ever.
+1. That's the same cable I'm using on my DQ6 too! There's a great synergy with the DQ6 and the Zonie, imo. Using the 2.5 balanced plug with both my ES100 and Q1MK2 portable dac/amps. With this combo, I have to stop myself from enjoying listening to my music collection, and go to bed to get sleep. The sound is just so good and addictive.

May 2, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #55,067 of 64,373
hi as many of you my zs10pro socket broke. i bought zsn pro and took the socketout and soldered it to the zs10pro, it was pretty easy but not as cheap(a pity the zsn will have no use) as it could be if the socket could be found on its own. has anyone found this kind of socket anywhere? i emailed kz but never got a reply.

May 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #55,068 of 64,373
hi as many of you my zs10pro socket broke. i bought zsn pro and took the socketout and soldered it to the zs10pro, it was pretty easy but not as cheap(a pity the zsn will have no use) as it could be if the socket could be found on its own. has anyone found this kind of socket anywhere? i emailed kz but never got a reply.
Kz mainly uses 0.75mm 2pin socket that is very rare because most of 2pins follow 0.78mm. You may have a chance to find junk parts on Aliexpress though, they sell everything I could think of.

May 2, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #55,069 of 64,373
May 2, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #55,070 of 64,373
Kz mainly uses 0.75mm 2pin socket that is very rare because most of 2pins follow 0.78mm. You may have a chance to find junk parts on Aliexpress though, they sell everything I could think of.
there is no discernible difference between 0.78 and 0.75mm sockets and you would be hard pressed to tell or measure the difference

May 3, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #55,071 of 64,373
Technically you can jam 0.78mm pin into 0.75mm socket
i've tried it with my KZ DQ6 to be paired with 0.78mm KBear balanced cable.

Not sure about long term damage as i bought that KZ DQ6 for my brother birthday gift, to replace his broken KZ ZST. So its no longer with me.

May 3, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #55,072 of 64,373
KZ DQ6 with Gold, Silver, and Copper cable (784)

Total cost: ~18 USD + ~8 USD (Shopee) without coins and vouchers 😏😉

The new KZ upgrade cable is premium feeling. Posted a more detailed impression on the "Low End, Cheap,... Cable" thread.

Regarding sonic changes, I'm sitting on the "case-by-case basis" side but I dare say sibilance disappeared and midrange, in general, is fuller but I did just receive the HUD100 MK2 and I'm too lazy to A/B currently 😅.

IMG20210503151423.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #55,073 of 64,373

Not sure about long term damage as i bought that KZ DQ6 for my brother birthday gift, to replace his broken KZ ZST. So its no longer with me.
Also works the other way around.
I've shoved a 0.75mm cable on my 0.78mm Blon BL-03 and it works fine.

May 3, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #55,074 of 64,373

Shouldnt do anything to your iems ive used 0.78mm aftermarket cables for about 5 months and they work just fine.

Also I dont think you can even look and tell which pin is 0.78mm and 0.75mm (unless you have microscopic eyes) its 0.03mm of difference it should be whithin
QC acceptable range.

In the end one pin can be 0,78 and the other 0,75.

May 3, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #55,075 of 64,373
While there isn't much difference between in the pin diameter between 0,78mm and 0,75mm, only 0,03mm. As an engineer I can say that this does change the type of press fit you're getting. That and there is a small difference in the distance between the pins with the 0,78 having a larger gap between the two pins. Guessing about 0,07~0,12mm, it's visible with the naked eye. It's not just the diameter of the pins but also the distance between them, although the pin diameter doesn't do as much as the distance between the pins.

When putting a 0,78 in a 0,75 connector every time you insert and remove the cable you will damage the socket by stretching it and bend the pins on the cable. This won't be noticeable in the first few times but over time it will add up. If you keep swapping cables you're gonna break it a lot faster than when using the correct connector.
When doing the same with a 0,75 in a 0,78 socket you're going to bend the pins on the cable and squeeze the socket a little.

As for the tolerance in these kind of small components it usually is between 0,005 and 0,015mm so the tolerance isn't big enough to make up the difference in this case, at least not with the difference in pin distance.
That said Chinese engineering isn't the best and tolerances mean just about nothing to them so YMMV.
On cheaper IEMs/cables there probably won't be much of an issue but as you go up in price it will as the components get better.

May 3, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #55,076 of 64,373
While there isn't much difference between in the pin diameter between 0,78mm and 0,75mm, only 0,03mm. As an engineer I can say that this does change the type of press fit you're getting. That and there is a small difference in the distance between the pins with the 0,78 having a larger gap between the two pins. Guessing about 0,07~0,12mm, it's visible with the naked eye. It's not just the diameter of the pins but also the distance between them, although the pin diameter doesn't do as much as the distance between the pins.

When putting a 0,78 in a 0,75 connector every time you insert and remove the cable you will damage the socket by stretching it and bend the pins on the cable. This won't be noticeable in the first few times but over time it will add up. If you keep swapping cables you're gonna break it a lot faster than when using the correct connector.
When doing the same with a 0,75 in a 0,78 socket you're going to bend the pins on the cable and squeeze the socket a little.

As for the tolerance in these kind of small components it usually is between 0,005 and 0,015mm so the tolerance isn't big enough to make up the difference in this case, at least not with the difference in pin distance.
That said Chinese engineering isn't the best and tolerances mean just about nothing to them so YMMV.
On cheaper IEMs/cables there probably won't be much of an issue but as you go up in price it will as the components get better.
I don't believe anyone has been able to measure a real-world difference.

May 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #55,077 of 64,373
I don't believe anyone has been able to measure a real-world difference.
Depends on what tools they have available and how much they actually care.

The outside measurement I'm getting is 2,5mm on the 0,75 and 2,7mm on the 0,78 using my calipers.
That's a 0,2mm difference on the outside with about 0,17mm difference between the center of the pins.

May 3, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #55,078 of 64,373
Depends on what tools they have available and how much they actually care.

The outside measurement I'm getting is 2,5mm on the 0,75 and 2,7mm on the 0,78 using my calipers.
That's a 0,2mm difference on the outside with about 0,17mm difference between the center of the pins.
Hmm, that's interesting, because I have cables were sold/labelled as 0.75mm and 0.78mm and the one's I've checked so far have measured the same. I just doubled-checked and pulled out two TRN cables, one labelled 0.75mm and one labelled 0.78mm, and both measure 2.5mm across the pins measured with my Wixey WR100 digital calipers. What cables were you measuring?

May 3, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #55,079 of 64,373
Hmm, that's interesting, because I have cables were sold/labelled as 0.75mm and 0.78mm and the one's I've checked so far have measured the same. I just doubled-checked and pulled out two TRN cables, one labelled 0.75mm and one labelled 0.78mm, and both measure 2.5mm across the pins measured with my Wixey WR100 digital calipers. What cables were you measuring?
The 0,75 was the stock silver KZ QDC and the 0,78 was the cable from the FiiO FH1S, measured using a calibrated Mitutoyo caliper with a 0,05mm scale.
Multiple measurements were done to get an average with the 0,75 getting between 2,45 and 2,5mm and the 0,78 getting between 2,7 and 2,75mm.

I think the differences we're getting in our measurements are a result of the good ol' Chineese production tolerances. That or there might be different 0,78 connectors types that look almost identical.

On a side note, I find it funny that the FiiO FH1S uses a 0,78 cable but uses TFZ sockets on the IEM. I know TFZ is a shrouded 0,78 but still.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #55,080 of 64,373

That's all true but best practice would be to not plug and unplug cables one you're happy with what you have. Most of my IEMs get tried with stock and then with aftermarket and I'm done. Exception being my Tin P1 which I've decided to go from silver litz to Tripowin Zonie because balanced.

The interconnect between my CD Player and Amp in my home audio setup has been plugged in for 18 years and the speakers only ever got unplugged for house moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back