Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #51,391 of 64,358
Anyone think there will be ASX reviews/graphs before the 11/11 sale?

Also, EDX - in pictures (3d renders) of the clear version, I see crossover components on the back of the driver. Is that typical for a single DD?
1601477891127.png

It is likely I think that there will be more impressions/reviews by 11/11.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #51,392 of 64,358
TEN BA drivers per ear? This starts to remind me of the razor blade arms race...
1601481427043.png

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #51,394 of 64,358
Sep 30, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #51,396 of 64,358
The ASX if done well could really put pressure on the higher priced brands. Some of the prices vs specs are ridiculous nowadays. I’ve seen 4-5 BA units priced over 2K and I just can’t see myself shelling out that kind of cash for “name brand”, If KZ dials in the tuning on these ..wow!
I’m watching for reviews on the ASX big time.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #51,397 of 64,358
Are you using the stock cable? IIRC, silver cable tend to emphasize the treble more.

Used the stock cable, then also used the Shozy Form 1.1 all copper cable. Didn't notice a difference.

I used some microtape to half cover the nozzle filter. Definitely helped take out some of the extra energy in the treble a little bit, but in the end its personal preference for me - I like my airy vocals centered in the middle of the vocal range and the ZAX emphasizes this on the upper end of the vocal range.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #51,399 of 64,358

Just as a heads-up to everyone, I listened to my ZAX's with small size SpinFit CP145's. My ears are small so except in rare cases were extra small tips are included, most IEM tips will mute the sound. The SpinFit's fix that problem for me, improving an already outrageously detailed and resolving earphone. Listening to Concerning Hobbits (The Shire) from The Lord of the Rings official soundtrack, I can hear all the minute reverb trails and lead-outs of the instruments, particularly of the 0:26-0:28 of the tin whistle solo. Detail of this nature abounds and so does the heft of the bass wind instruments throughout.

But that's not all.

Ah, so dynamic yet exacting! What's more, all the venue and recording reverberations resonate in perfect harmony and are fully exposed. My jaw dropped to the floor with these earphones. Not even my HD 800s were close to providing a enveloping, dynamic and detailed experience like this.

All in all, this has got to be the audiophile deal of the century. Buy without hesitation. KZ really pulled off something truly magical with these. I could have paid 10 times as much and would not have been any less floored by these earphones. Truly amazing jam-packed value.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #51,400 of 64,358
Really intrigued by all the ZAX praise.... Think I'm going to hold out to see the next few KZ/CCA releases.... I've noticed there's vitually zero complaints on CA16 signature, except some people wanting more high end air - lot's loving the ZAX too....
I found it interesting to hear about the comparisons between the ZSX/C12 and CA16/ZAX.

After initially going back to ZSX from C12, (I thought the C12's were better at first but then figured they were too fatiguing in the top end)
I have to say I'm really enjoying the C12's again, they are just really engaging to listen to.
I know the C12 are a bit of a marmite earphone on here, a bit like the C10 Pro....
One thing I've noticed is the C12 work really well for a lot of modern metal/djent/jazz+groove crossover stuff. A lot of drummers in these genres use darker cymbals.This was mainly instigated by a cymbal company called Meinl that really made this sound their trademark in the heavier genres, the main forerunner of this sound was Matt Gartstka from Animals as Leaders.
I'm wondering if these drum sound choices of dry drums and dark cymbals play more into the hands of the treble monsters ala C12 and you end up with a more engaging listen without getting anywhere near the siblance/harshness that is their main criticism.
Obviously a lot of these bands are largely instrumental so that rules out 'sssssss' vocal issues lol
Just an observation I noticed and maybe some insight for anyone that want's a new set for these genres...
Roll on the new KZ/CCA releases, will we miss a DD in the mix and will pure BA work? Who knows!!

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #51,402 of 64,358
Here's a lukewarm review about the ZAX

:face_palm:

Peaky? Oh boy. This is a common misunderstanding of neutrality I notice among IEM users who have grown accustomed to the notorious "IEM veil" or rolled off sound of IEMs in comparison to headphones and speakers. So when they are faced with actual neutral treble response that extends into the upper frequency extremes, they dismiss it as peakiness. If you think this is peaky, you would hate many flagship and high-end headphones. Live sound is bright, and poorly mixed music will have peakiness. If you want to mask the warts and rosy up the sound, by all means, go right ahead. That is your preference. But something like the Sennheiser HD 800 would be annoying as all get-out, and a Beyerdynamic T90 would be literal heck on Earth.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #51,403 of 64,358
:face_palm:

Peaky? Oh boy. This is a common misunderstanding of neutrality I notice among IEM users who have grown accustomed to the notorious "IEM veil" or rolled off sound of IEMs in comparison to headphones and speakers. So when they are faced with actual neutral treble response that extends into the upper frequency extremes, they dismiss it as peakiness. If you think this is peaky, you would hate many flagship and high-end headphones. Live sound is bright, and poorly mixed music will have peakiness. If you want to mask the warts and rosy up the sound, by all means, go right ahead. That is your preference. But something like the Sennheiser HD 800 would be annoying as all get-out, and a Beyerdynamic T90 would be literal heck on Earth.
I very much agree.
Violins are quite "peaky" live, and they are one of the most perfect musical instruments.

With the veiled IEMs, E3000 is my benchmark, violins sound as if reproduced by a box speaker rather than live.

Then a common solution of some "tuners" out there is to put "right" dampening filters to make IEM sounds unoffensively similar to a box speaker.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #51,404 of 64,358
Violins are quite "peaky" live, and they are one of the most perfect musical instruments.
With the veiled IEMs, E3000 is my benchmark, violins sound as if reproduced by a box speaker rather than live.
Yeah, even with the trebly C10 Pro - I find that it's the best IEM, that I have, for flamenco guitar performances. I have been playing lots of "Rodrigo y Gabriela" through it. To my ears, not even the ZAX can delivers the energy of their performances as well as C10 Pro. But it's a very niche application for me as I typically go for a more balanced sound presentation. But their album "Mettavolution" is highly addictive with the C10 Pro! :)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #51,405 of 64,358
Yeah, even with the trebly C10 Pro - I find that it's the best IEM, that I have, for flamenco guitar performances. I have been playing lots of "Rodrigo y Gabriela" through it. To my ears, not even the ZAX can delivers the energy of their performances as well as C10 Pro. But it's a very niche application for me as I typically go for a more balanced sound presentation. But their album "Mettavolution" is highly addictive with the C10 Pro! :)
I found C10 pro in between ZS10 pro and CCA A10.
For the pizzicato strings, I often go to A10 - can be amazingly engaging.
Definitely A10 is even more "niche" than C10 Pro.
I was happy that CCA went back from dampening the treble in CA16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back