Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 6, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #42,346 of 64,167
Guys, my left ZS7 is doing noises, like tiny "electric sparks" noises. My right one is not doing that. Just happened, or noticed, today. Have any of you experienced that?
I've just tried 2 pairs of headphones and they don't behave like that. It's just the KZ ZS7 left headphone.

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #42,347 of 64,167
Guys, my left ZS7 is doing noises, like tiny "electric sparks" noises. My right one is not doing that. Just happened, or noticed, today. Have any of you experienced that?
I've just tried 2 pairs of headphones and they don't behave like that. It's just the KZ ZS7 left headphone.
I assume you've swapped out the cable and it didn't help?

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #42,350 of 64,167

Is that while your player is charging? I notice when my audio player is charging and I touch the metal earphones, I get a buzzing sound, something to do with grounding. I only get that with certain USB cables.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #42,351 of 64,167
May be it could be a cable issue? Not making a great connection?

Definitely not charging issue because I've though about that, I was charging my phone indeed, I unplugged it and still happened. It's been about 1h since I don't hear the sparks. It's not a constant buzzing, but like tiny sounds of sparks, randomly sounding.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #42,352 of 64,167
And I want you to do it become I want to see yours opinion. You are the head-fier that I believe most

Well, I’m flattered, but you should really take my opinion with the same grain of salt as the next person’s! Remember, we all have different ear shapes/sizes, different sound preferences. I may like something that someone else hates. Everyone’s opinion counts (unless they’re just a paid shill).

With that said, my opinion on the ZS7 doesn’t require waiting for my review. It’s an excellent IEM. It’s one of my top favorite IEMs, and is my daily driver.

Be aware that I don’t personally own other popular IEMs like ZS10, AS10, BA10, DM6, DMG, Kanas Pro, IT01S, C10, C16, etc. some of those could be better than the ZS7. Everything I own is always in my profile.

And you still would want to figure out if the signature of the ZS7 is what you like. For example, if you listen to classical music and want a pancake-flat neutral tune, that’s not the ZS7. But if you like a shallow U shape with a clean detailed sound (and great treble without being harsh or peaky like the ZS6), you’re going to have a hard time finding something better than the ZS7 at the asking price.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #42,353 of 64,167
May be it could be a cable issue? Not making a great connection?

Definitely not charging issue because I've though about that, I was charging my phone indeed, I unplugged it and still happened. It's been about 1h since I don't hear the sparks. It's not a constant buzzing, but like tiny sounds of sparks, randomly sounding.

Did you try it with other sources?

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #42,354 of 64,167
I'm not sure if that's the problem, how can I know before doing something that cannot be undone?
Don't you ZS7 owners have pain because of the "bulky" case. Or may be it's simply that I must get used to them?

For example, I remember the first week I used a on-ear headphones, even though they were "soft", after a few minutes or hours my ears would start to hurt like hell, and it was simply the little "pressure" a on-ear headphone does. I don't know if this is a similar situation.

It may be caused by the memory wires. Depending on how they are adjusted, they can 'push' the IEM against your ear slightly, which can lead to irritation.

How you can test this is to detach the cables, and just wear the IEM shells in your ears (with no cable at all). If you don't have any irritation, then that was the cause. If the irritation is still there, then it's something with the shell (like the corner voicemaster sanded down).

You can maybe try different tips (specifically, longer tips like triple flange or SpinFits). This will move the shells away from your ears just enough to where they hopefully wouldn’t rub.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #42,355 of 64,167
Well, I’m flattered, but you should really take my opinion with the same grain of salt as the next person’s! Remember, we all have different ear shapes/sizes, different sound preferences. I may like something that someone else hates. Everyone’s opinion counts (unless they’re just a paid shill).

With that said, my opinion on the ZS7 doesn’t require waiting for my review. It’s an excellent IEM. It’s one of my top favorite IEMs, and is my daily driver.

Be aware that I don’t personally own other popular IEMs like ZS10, AS10, BA10, DM6, DMG, Kanas Pro, IT01S, C10, C16, etc. some of those could be better than the ZS7. Everything I own is always in my profile.

And you still would want to figure out if the signature of the ZS7 is what you like. For example, if you listen to classical music and want a pancake-flat neutral tune, that’s not the ZS7. But if you like a shallow U shape with a clean detailed sound (and great treble without being harsh or peaky like the ZS6), you’re going to have a hard time finding something better than the ZS7 at the asking price.
ZS7 or IT01 if could only choose one?

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #42,356 of 64,167
Mar 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #42,357 of 64,167
Decided to break out the Fiio E12a (Mont Blanc Edition) and Sony NW-A45 to pair with the AS10 today. Such a great combo for the desk. Seems to smooth up the midrange and boost the impact a little bit, which is always a plus. Certainly not as energetic as something like the ZS7, but it's a nice all-day-comfort combo.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #42,358 of 64,167
ZS7 or IT01 if could only choose one?

Well, the answer is ‘it depends’.

I like the bass and treble of the IT01, but the mids on the ZS7.

I like the build quality of the ZS7, but the comfort of the IT01.

The ZS7 is easier to drive from anything, whereas the IT01 benefits more from more power.

The ZS7 is almost 1/3 the cost of the IT01.

The stock cable that comes with the IT01 is freaking amazing, whereas the ZS7 stock cable is ‘just ok’.

So if someone was on an a tighter budget, the ZS7 for sure. Heck, if they only had $100 to spend, you could get the ZS7+Upgrade cable +cheap ChiFi DAP for the exact same price as the IT01 by itself.

The fact that the Reddit Andromeda owner was very impressed with the ZS7 says a lot. If you want to know his exact words, I posted the link to his Reddit post.

That’s why I say ‘it depends’.

If I was stranded on a desert island, I would be completely happy with either. If I was forced to take 1, I guess I’d take the IT01 if only for the cable haha. Otherwise, I’d have to flip a coin!

Also, please note that my IT01 are modded. I peeled off the black filter layer on the nozzle mesh, and I’m only using a single layer stainless mesh.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #42,359 of 64,167
Hey guys, I have KS6 and so far they are my favorite KZ. I recently traded my Fiio E10K for the Fiio K3. I haven't even listened to it. I ordered the balanced cable which came today.. Unfortunately I am trying to solve the mystery of what happened to my KS6. Tips gone and a broken nozzle. I haven't done much reading about the KS7 because I have been so happy with the KS6 / E10K combo. Is there anyone here who has both the KS6 and KS7 that can offer a comparison? I apologize if this has been done. I have ALS and I am paralyzed so I drive my computer with my eyes.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #42,360 of 64,167
Hey guys, I have KS6 and so far they are my favorite KZ. I recently traded my Fiio E10K for the Fiio K3. I haven't even listened to it. I ordered the balanced cable which came today.. Unfortunately I am trying to solve the mystery of what happened to my KS6. Tips gone and a broken nozzle. I haven't done much reading about the KS7 because I have been so happy with the KS6 / E10K combo. Is there anyone here who has both the KS6 and KS7 that can offer a comparison? I apologize if this has been done. I have ALS and I am paralyzed so I drive my computer with my eyes.
I'm assuming by KS6/7 you mean ZS6/7? If that's the case, here's what you can expect with the ZS7:
  • Smoother top-end. They still have a treble presence, but not to the point of sibilance.
  • Cleaner midrange. A little less bloom in the midbass, though it's still there.
  • Much more oomph in the midbass region. ZS7 feels like it has much more impact. That may be a pro or con depending on what you thought about the ZS6
  • Smaller sense of stage width/height. I blame this on the boost in midbass impact. It's still spacious, but you can tell it takes a slight hit in comparison to the ZS6.
Otherwise, form factor is identical and it's still an all-metal body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back