Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 15, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #64,037 of 64,228
Sorry to be this way... But those edges, man. Did you use a chainsaw or something?
Haha, no, just not very sharp scissors. Yeah, it looks bad, i agree :D

May 15, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #64,038 of 64,228
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any reviews on the particular dongle on Aliexpress so I'll probably take a hard pass on it.

I do see where they have a really good deal on the F.Audio KS01 that I've seen pretty good reviews about so I'm seriously considering grabbing one before it goes out of stock as right now it's a good bit less $$$$ than the DC03 Pro or Dawn Pro that I was considering.

I'm a fan of FiiO, E1DA, and have been close to pulling the trigger on a unit from Earmen. The Sparrow and Eagle in particular, but I haven't had any need really with what I've got.

The BTR3K is great in dongle mode on laptops and mobile devices. I've used it every day for coming on 4 years now and it's been a very reliable companion. If I was buying today I'd spring for BTR15.

BaskingShark had great things to say about the TempoTec Sonata which is more in the price range. I almost got that one but ordered the FiiO instead and didn't look back. Not sure if you can still find them but his review is here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #64,039 of 64,228
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any reviews on the particular dongle on Aliexpress so I'll probably take a hard pass on it.

I do see where they have a really good deal on the F.Audio KS01 that I've seen pretty good reviews about so I'm seriously considering grabbing one before it goes out of stock as right now it's a good bit less $$$$ than the DC03 Pro or Dawn Pro that I was considering.
Maybe you should read the reviews over here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/f-audio-ks01.26498/reviews
There seem to be some problems with the firmware of the F.Audio KS01.

I can also recommend the iBasso DC03 Pro or Moondrop Dawn Pro. They work very well for me (I do not have the F.Audio KS01).

May 15, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #64,040 of 64,228
I recommended the KS01 a few pages ago. I do enjoy it. You can change the firmware flavour to suit apparently but I haven't done this. It's a reasonably good resolving DAC without elevated bass, with a touch more treble than the other Sabre DACs I've owned. For the price (currently) it's a no brainer. For comparison, I far prefer it to the two cheapo Cirrus dongles (blasphemy around here) I've tried in the past.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #64,041 of 64,228
I'm a fan of FiiO, E1DA, and have been close to pulling the trigger on a unit from Earmen. The Sparrow and Eagle in particular, but I haven't had any need really with what I've got.

The BTR3K is great in dongle mode on laptops and mobile devices. I've used it every day for coming on 4 years now and it's been a very reliable companion. If I was buying today I'd spring for BTR15.

BaskingShark had great things to say about the TempoTec Sonata which is more in the price range. I almost got that one but ordered the FiiO instead and didn't look back. Not sure if you can still find them but his review is here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is an old model, but it is still decent in 2024, neutralish sound with not much battery drain. Not the most powerful or resolving, but does a good job for low powered IEMs. Only comes in 3.5 mm single-ended though.

But I think in 2024, there are some advancements in the dongle game, so for a bit more, there are some nicer dongles like:
  • AFUL Snowy Night (neutral, powerful, not harsh)
  • EPZ TP50 (cold analytical, but has EQ and many DAC filters to play with)
  • Fiio KA13/KA17 (huge power on desktop mode, with KA17 having PEQ for android app)
  • Fiio KA11 ($30 with warm tonality and huge 200 mW power, only 3.5 mm though)
  • Simgot DEW4X (warm neutral, okay power)

May 15, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #64,042 of 64,228
The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is an old model, but it is still decent in 2024, neutralish sound with not much battery drain. Not the most powerful or resolving, but does a good job for low powered IEMs. Only comes in 3.5 mm single-ended though.

But I think in 2024, there are some advancements in the dongle game, so for a bit more, there are some nicer dongles like:
  • AFUL Snowy Night (neutral, powerful, not harsh)
  • EPZ TP50 (cold analytical, but has EQ and many DAC filters to play with)
  • Fiio KA13/KA17 (huge power on desktop mode, with KA17 having PEQ for android app)
  • Fiio KA11 ($30 with warm tonality and huge 200 mW power, only 3.5 mm though)
  • Simgot DEW4X (warm neutral, okay power)
Has FiiO sorted out the firmware issues with the KA11?

Also, I've started wondering, what is best in a DAC/AMP for the PR2s when it comes to looking at sound signature given their bright highs and sorta tamed bass impact?

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #64,043 of 64,228
Idk maybe its a problem with my pair of bt20xs, but comparing to my az09 pro bt20xs sounds way worse and also way bigger and less comfortable. Its like 128kbps mp3 compared to 320kbps. So i am personally not recommend anyone to buy those TRN.

edit:typo
I tried several older Bluetooth adaptors for my flush-mounted 2-pin port earbuds [old KZ models] and I tried the Kbear, the older gray KZ model, and the Bqezyz adaptors [all the kind with wires that hand off your neck] and all were ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE I'm talking loud hissing, channel imbalance, and muddy mids... then I realized that KZ still sold the original AZ09 in the old pin style instead of C-pin and WOW they are sooooooooo good. Almost as good as the much more expensive AZ20.

May 15, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #64,044 of 64,228
Has FiiO sorted out the firmware issues with the KA11?

Also, I've started wondering, what is best in a DAC/AMP for the PR2s when it comes to looking at sound signature given their bright highs and sorta tamed bass impact?

I bought the KA11 3 months ago and have no issues with it, but I am using Android (seems some Apple users have issues).

I think it will pair well with the PR2, as the KA11 will tame the highs and also provide sufficient power for the low sensitivity PR2.

May 15, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #64,045 of 64,228
I don't know if there is just some weird chemistry or what, but these Castors with Clarion tips and after market 4.4 cable are really really good, like my Ed5 and Ca1a and Susvara, EarSonics Onyx are all available to listen to, but here I am listening to these 15.00 iems with live albums and my jaw keeps dropping.

These aren't just good for the price these are up there with the best iems I've heard. Imo. And I'm not a Kz fan boy I was a fan of the original zsr the rest I've tried including some of the newer ones haven't impressed like this Castor Harmon Ed.

For me, the hype stands. The tuning, timbre, texture, massive soundstage, impeccable imaging, detail, layering are all high class. Ordered another just to have as a back up lol

Someone suggested I buy the Polaris as it was better, well not to my ears... Not even close imo

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #64,046 of 64,228
I don't know if there is just some weird chemistry or what, but these Castors with Clarion tips and after market 4.4 cable are really really good, like my Ed5 and Ca1a and Susvara, EarSonics Onyx are all available to listen to, but here I am listening to these 15.00 iems with live albums and my jaw keeps dropping.

These aren't just good for the price these are up there with the best iems I've heard. Imo. And I'm not a Kz fan boy I was a fan of the original zsr the rest I've tried including some of the newer ones haven't impressed like this Castor Harmon Ed.

For me, the hype stands. The tuning, timbre, texture, massive soundstage, impeccable imaging, detail, layering are all high class. Ordered another just to have as a back up lol

Someone suggested I buy the Polaris as it was better, well not to my ears... Not even close imo
Depend on your taste,
but try Trio. Something which to me, an upgrade from Castors.
Cleaner bass with slight upgrade in quality.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #64,047 of 64,228

The IEM and audio section are highly subjective. You are looking for something suits you the most, not the most expensive. I haven't have the pleasure to listen to such high end equipments like you, but to my ears, compare the Castor Harman to Zero:Red and Chu 2 I would say Castor Harman < Chu 2 < Zero:Red. Thanks to these two IEMs from Moondrop and Truthear, I frekin' hate IEM with anime girl on the box cover. The money for drawing those should be for the audio quality itself

May 15, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #64,048 of 64,228
I bought the KA11 3 months ago and have no issues with it, but I am using Android (seems some Apple users have issues).

I think it will pair well with the PR2, as the KA11 will tame the highs and also provide sufficient power for the low sensitivity PR2.

Sounds like something I may need to check out closer then.

Thanks.

May 16, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #64,049 of 64,228
The IEM and audio section are highly subjective. You are looking for something suits you the most, not the most expensive. I haven't have the pleasure to listen to such high end equipments like you, but to my ears, compare the Castor Harman to Zero:Red and Chu 2 I would say Castor Harman < Chu 2 < Zero:Red. Thanks to these two IEMs from Moondrop and Truthear, I frekin' hate IEM with anime girl on the box cover. The money for drawing those should be for the audio quality itself
Most of campfire audio's lineup is as bad as KZ, just without the occasional gems.

Only they are demanding the price of gold only to sell coal wrapped in gold foil.

Masochists still buy them so

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back