knife-fi?
Jul 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #286 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the Micarta for grip compared to G10 and Zytel?

Marvin's said most of it, but it might be added that micarta is an older material than the other two and considered somewhat classic.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #287 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Spyderco Wayne Goddard Micarta knife that was my every day carry (EDC) till I found out they were becoming hard to find and worth more, so I switched to carrying my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. I like the Micarta, but find mine is fairly smooth even though I carried it for several years.

The one I have is a combo blade with black/green mycarta. Has the stainless clip so it is my EDC knife for biz casual. Good to know about the value going up. Care to say what they might be going for?

The Spyderco Military, stamped military with combo edge, falls under the category "Best X#$'s I ever spent". Mine was $100 out the door a few years ago at a gun show. That is my blue jean knife. It also settles disputes and negotiates contracts.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #288 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one I have is a combo blade with black/green mycarta. Has the stainless clip so it is my EDC knife for biz casual. Good to know about the value going up. Care to say what they might be going for?

The Spyderco Military, stamped military with combo edge, falls under the category "Best X#$'s I ever spent". Mine was $100 out the door a few years ago at a gun show. That is my blue jean knife. It also settles disputes and negotiates contracts.

I don't recall, the last price I checked was years ago.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #290 of 2,248
Good to see this thread. It looks like more folders than fixed (figures, since it's a headphone forum
wink.gif
)

My personal faves:
Cooking: a decent Chinese cooking knife--a big, well balanced, cleaverish thing with laminated stainless/carbon. About $12. A $2 sharpening stone. And a cheap $4 paring knife (Suncraft, Japan). I'll probably get another paring knife in Japan.

EDC: Leatherman Squirt p4. The funny thing is that it still gets negative attention here in SF from some people who tell me I'm "packing heat." --then, they ask to borrow it to disassemble something.

If I truly needed a knife, I'd probably buy a s30 AG Russel Featherlite.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #291 of 2,248
Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations was on last night and he was at Ted Nugent's Texas ranch, cutting up vegetables with a Ted Nugent bowie knife. My CS browser at work is inflicted with WebCat and it won't let me pull up Ted's site and post a picture of that bowie. Maybe someone else can. Too Cool!

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #292 of 2,248
I picked up the Leatherman Crater c33/c33x over the weekend at Fry's for $14.99. Couldn't find anything gadget-y in my price range (read: cheap), but this knife filled that.

knife.png

I think it's a great knife. Very smooth action and the retractable carabiner/bottle opener is a nice feature, too.

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #293 of 2,248
I've been a big fan of Victorinox SAKs for a long time and have carried one or another daily for over forty years. The new lockblade models with redesigned handles seem really great for the bush.

4173B6GACVL._SS500_.jpg

This is a one-hand Trekker, and there's also the standard issue model for the Swiss military of similar configuration. The 3.375" blade opens (ambidextrously) with one hand, locks in place, and has enough smooth edge to do some good. I only prefer a partially scalloped edge for tactical folders only for urban environs. An excellent and aggressive saw blade makes short work of tinder preparation. An awl for piercing, can opener, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick round out the kit; all tools actually work well. Much more ergometric and slightly resilient handle.

Maybe not your first choice for taking out that tango sentry, but the real deal for operating in the outback.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #294 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a big fan of Victorinox SAKs for a long time and have carried one or another daily for over forty years. The new lockblade models with redesigned handles seem really great for the bush.

4173B6GACVL._SS500_.jpg

This is a one-hand Trekker, and there's also the standard issue model for the Swiss military of similar configuration. The 3.375" blade opens (ambidextrously) with one hand, locks in place, and has enough smooth edge to do some good. I only prefer a partially scalloped edge for tactical folders only for urban environs. An excellent and aggressive saw blade makes short work of tinder preparation. An awl for piercing, can opener, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick round out the kit; all tools actually work well. Much more ergometric and slightly resilient handle.

Maybe not your first choice for taking out that tango sentry, but the real deal for operating in the outback.

Those new SAK's have been rather lust-worthy. I've actually considered purchasing the similarly styled Rescue Tool to keep in my car as an emergency tool in case (knock-on-wood) something were to happen.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #295 of 2,248
Quote:

Those new SAK's have been rather lust-worthy. I've actually considered purchasing the similarly styled Rescue Tool to keep in my car as an emergency tool in case (knock-on-wood) something were to happen.

I just noticed the photo I posted on the one-handed Trekker was the serrated edge; I chose the plain edge for myself. I've got the current Gerber military fixed blade in the car for emergencies; used to be a Puma White Hunter, but that's now worth more than the $19.97 I originally paid for it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #296 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed the photo I posted on the one-handed Trekker was the serrated edge; I chose the plain edge for myself. I've got the current Gerber military fixed blade in the car for emergencies; used to be a Puma White Hunter, but that's now worth more than the $19.97 I originally paid for it.
biggrin.gif

I always tell myself I'm gonna buy a good quality fixed blade knife, and then, somehow or another, I walk out of the store with another folder. It's like a disease...and its leaving me with a double edged Coast Dagger with serrations as my only fixed blade (It's not even mine, but we've long lost track of who it originally belonged to.

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #297 of 2,248
I've got a drawer full of folders and I used to have a safe full of sheath knives including about a dozen Randall's. It dawned on me one day that I carried the folders everyday and used them quite often. I hardly ever carried a sheath knife and when I did it was a smaller skinning knife. I sold all my Randalls and kept a couple lesser known maker sheath knives for camping and hunting. I think if I was going "Into the Wild" I would have one good Swiss Army knife and one good bowie style that would stand up to some abuse and that would be it. No city boy folders, that's for sure.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #298 of 2,248
Quote:

I always tell myself I'm gonna buy a good quality fixed blade knife, and then, somehow or another, I walk out of the store with another folder. It's like a disease...and its leaving me with a double edged Coast Dagger with serrations as my only fixed blade (It's not even mine, but we've long lost track of who it originally belonged to.

Check out the Mora 2000, 2010 or Clipper or some of the Scandi Frosts; I'm sure the blade shape and size are going to be very familiar to you and for not much change you can get into a really nice fixed blade. These are just good working knives to have around made out of good modern materials. There's a lady from North Carolina on Ebay who has taken real good care of me on the Moras.
wink_face.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #299 of 2,248
Ooh...that Mora 2000 does look nice indeed for the price! I may have to check if my local knife sellers carry them!

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #300 of 2,248
Ugh, I thought I was done with knives. Until today one of my friends showed me her Kershaw Scallion.
frown.gif

But I think I'm done with the whole "look it's a fast blade!" thing; even if it looks pretty (which the Scallion does quite well), if the blade comes out quickly, people will have a strong bias of it being an attack knife.
rolleyes.gif
Yet it's so cheap, I think I'll pick one up eventually for kicks and giggles; another method of deploying the blade that I can toy with.

So in the following days I plan to buy a Spyderco Caly3. I personally don't like the way it looks, but all I heard ever since I first heard about it was undying praise about it. So I figure it's worth a try at least before I can fully hate it.
tongue.gif

Here are some pics of the two knives I just talked about:

kerspic1620fl.jpg

C113G_L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back