Klipsch X5 vs Fischer Audio DBA-02 - Thoughts?
Apr 29, 2011 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ReiszRie

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, i needed to replace my faulty pair of UE super.fi 5 Pro and i'm considering between a few options with the X5 and DBA-02 at the top of the list, i listening to a wide variety of music but typically Jazz, Bossanova, Lounge, Electronic, Electronic Rock and some Hip-Hop thus i wanted to get some opinions on both the X5 & DBA-02 and their differences... for audio fidelity and an overall listening pleasure, which would you go for?

Thanks! all help is greatly appreciated.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 11
at the same time i've heard that the DBA-02 is too bright and lacks texture in the lows, i'm in a dilemma as a thin low end with an overly bright high end does not seem like it'll suit electronica, lounge and hip-hop music well.

what are your thoughts?

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 11
Brightness is a matter of tips, fit, preference and gear synergy on the DBA.  Use the same tips that come w/ the Klipsch and you won't have that problem.  It beats the X5 for bass too unless you want to focus on texture which is just one of many parts of bass reproduction.  Sounds like you want the X10 not the X5. I don't know why you thought the X5 is appropriate for those genres or comparing to the DBA other than it was on sale earlier today.  The X5 is closer to the MC5 is general voicing IMO.  Warmish, neutral but boring and does nothing very well at all.  It's also not bad.  

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 11
I've tried the Klipsch X10 but i feel that it is lacking in the highs and the mids are somewhat recessed and i've read on Head-fi that the X5 provides greater clarity and smooth mids and not lacking much in the bass department as compared to the X10

I enjoyed my pair of SF5 Pro but the lack of comfort kills me, do you have any experience with the SF5 Pro? is the DBA-02 similar to it?

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't consider the X5 boring at all.  The sound of the DBA is slightly better.  The treble sounds a little better to me, but I'm 51 years old so I don't hear treble peaks in some headphones that others complain about.  The bass goes slightly deeper in the DBA too.

That said, I listen to the X5 a lot more and I'll probably end up selling my DBA.  The only tips I can get a good seal with the DBA are Shure and Ety triflange and they hurt after about 15 minutes.  I can get a seal with Comply tips however I've destroyed every one I've taken off.  I stopped using them because I'm afraid the DBA will break instead of the tip.

I actually can get a decent seal with Shure single flange tips and the large Klipsch tip, however they don't isolate well enough for me to use them while commuting on the subway or on airplanes.  I only use IEMs when I need isolation so tips that don't isolate that well are worthless for me.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Have you tried the Klipsch bi flange on the DBA?  Doesn't get more comfortable and you can insert the DBA quite deep if your ears allow it.  The DBA tip is actually quite strong.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Apr 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 11
I put it in as far as I can.   It starts to push against the little bump in the ear lob so I can't get it any farther in.  The bend in the nozzle is the real problem  with my ear geometry.  If it was straight, I'd be able to get it in farther.  I had the same problem with the small Ety triflange.  They're also a very nice tip.  The material isn't the same as the large tips and it's very comfortable in my ear, just no seal with the DBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back