Klipsch Image X5 vs Klipsch Image S4
Nov 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #47 of 67
Well, considering mine work with the Westone UM56, custom sleeves, yes, very comfy. But that's not quite fair.

Otherwise, I would say they are not as comfy as some (Klipsch phones) but about the same as others. To me, the best sleeves are the Comply P Series, depending on the size you need. Or Shure olives, again size dependent. They come with just two pair of tips, tri-flanges and large black foamies (both from Ety). Some say the work with the Sony Hybrids as well. They are deep insertion IEMs, not canal phones per se, so comfort is a personal thing.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #48 of 67
I use the ety triflanges with my 716's. They provide a TON of isolation. However, I can usually only keep them in for an hour before they become uncomfortable. I usually don't bother listening to the 716's unless I'm sitting in one place because they have a lot of microphonics.

As for soundstage, the 716's feel much more closed in, whereas the S4's seem more open. They definitely have very different sounds. I'm assuming the 616's are similar in this regard.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #49 of 67
Yes. S4 definitely more open. But imagine using a tip with the 716s that felt good for 5-6 hours, no problems. That's how the custom tips are with the 616s, plus it extends and enhances the bass (but a little bass boost is needed too), as well as deliver their great Ety detail and imaging. Killer combo, just ironic a $115 sleeve on a $14 IEM. Of course, I bought the sleeves for my UM3X (and the 616s originally listed for $19, according to PC Mag circa 2005).

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #52 of 67
I bought a pair of X5s a few days ago and was disappointed. Bass is present but not that deep. Highs and mids seemed overwhelmed by all the bass. EQ was set to flat.

Yes, they were better than the ear buds included with my Blackberry, but even at the clearance price of $99 I didn't think it was money well spent.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of X5s a few days ago and was disappointed. Bass is present but not that deep. Highs and mids seemed overwhelmed by all the bass. EQ was set to flat.

Yes, they were better than the ear buds included with my Blackberry, but even at the clearance price of $99 I didn't think it was money well spent.

did you try the double flange? the tips do have a rib on them that lines up with the armature shell. all the midrange is there with mine, i'm shocked that you don't like them and equate them with earbuds included on a blackberry, try them with a vocalist only, you'll see the bass might divert attention away from the upper ranges and midrange. i found voice on the x5 to be very natural and that's a good sign. maybe i just like bass after the se310s which i can only use with the fiio 5 with bass boost enabled.
i can switch from my lambda and fostex orthos or the ath a700s to the x5s and still feel "musical" and not like i should be listening to something better.
i have to ask, what bitrate and file types have you used? seeing how unhappy you are i hope you were able to return them.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the X5's. Sold them. Still have the S4. Like tstarn06, I prefer Klipsch's dynamic sound.

Count me in that group as well. I'm auditioning & comparing the x10, Custom 3, and S4, and the S4 honestly puts the biggest smile on my face. It's simply an outstanding iem for $79, and in terms of dynamics & presence, I feel it has more to offer than any of Klipsch's other iems (I've tried all) for just sitting back, and enjoying the music. The BA Klipschs are more controlled, less harsh, and I prefer the C3's for more critical listening. But more often than not, you'll find me w/ the S4's lodged in my head & a big smile on my face.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you try the double flange? the tips do have a rib on them that lines up with the armature shell. all the midrange is there with mine, i'm shocked that you don't like them and equate them with earbuds included on a blackberry, try them with a vocalist only, you'll see the bass might divert attention away from the upper ranges and midrange. i found voice on the x5 to be very natural and that's a good sign. maybe i just like bass after the se310s which i can only use with the fiio 5 with bass boost enabled.
i can switch from my lambda and fostex orthos or the ath a700s to the x5s and still feel "musical" and not like i should be listening to something better.
i have to ask, what bitrate and file types have you used? seeing how unhappy you are i hope you were able to return them.

I paid so little for them I decided to put them on eBay to make a small profit instead of taking them back to the store. I tried them with whatever inserts were on there from the factory. Fitment and isolation was excellent so I didn't tinker with it.

The source material was a Blackberry Curve playing a 256kb AAC purchased from iTunes music store. They're still sitting here on my desk. I might try them on a few more source devices.

I actually modified my Blackberry ear buds. They come with a silicone/rubber cover that masks the drivers and makes them sound tinny. I removed those and slipped on some traditional foam covers and it made a shocking difference.

There's a pair of S4s for $79, but I passed on them since the discount wasn't as great compared to the original price. Based on the positive comments those get from this forum, should I try those?

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #56 of 67
I don't know about you guys, but I like to listen to my music w/o EQ for the most part. The S4s seem to emphasize the lows more than I'd like. The X5's have better overall balance, and attention to detail.

I can hear the plucks of guitar strings more crisply on the X5s than on the S4s. If your listening style is critical, take all this into consideration.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #57 of 67
Original price for S4 is $79.

Quote:

I paid so little for them I decided to put them on eBay to make a small profit instead of taking them back to the store. I tried them with whatever inserts were on there from the factory. Fitment and isolation was excellent so I didn't tinker with it.

The source material was a Blackberry Curve playing a 256kb AAC purchased from iTunes music store. They're still sitting here on my desk. I might try them on a few more source devices.

I actually modified my Blackberry ear buds. They come with a silicone/rubber cover that masks the drivers and makes them sound tinny. I removed those and slipped on some traditional foam covers and it made a shocking difference.

There's a pair of S4s for $79, but I passed on them since the discount wasn't as great compared to the original price. Based on the positive comments those get from this forum, should I try those?

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #58 of 67
Quote:

Etymotic Research ER6i were to my ears almost the polar opisite of the x5s. they're bright but without harshness or shrill and there is bass it's just reserved. isolation is the stellar feature of this model.
price is about the same as the s4s.... just a thought, you might want to try the 6is.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etymotic Research ER6i were to my ears almost the polar opisite of the x5s. they're bright but without harshness or shrill and there is bass it's just reserved. isolation is the stellar feature of this model.
price is about the same as the s4s.... just a thought, you might want to try the 6is.

I'll definitely look into those, and at $74 on Amazon the price seems right. Your description of the Klipsch X5s is how I'd describe their loudspeakers -- powerful and bright but not very subtle.

I took the X5s out of the box again and tried connecting them to my laptop this time. It uses a low-end AC97 audio processor and iTunes with the EQ and sound enhancer disabled. Mids were more present than with the Blackberry, but vocals were shallow and harsh and guitars and drums were a little tinny. At least the soundstage was wide and instruments were easy to pick out. It picks up all the subtle details of music, but instead of elegantly carrying them to your ears, it fires them at you with a catapult.

After a few songs I wanted to turn it down, not up. I really wanted to enjoy these too, since I got such a good deal. They're on ebay now for $139.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back