Klipsch Image X10i dying - please suggest repair options
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
  Not necessarily, for something with horrible build quality like the X10, re-shelling is a good option if someone loves the sound from it but want a better shell. Also, there are people reporting having increased soundstage, and an overall cleaner sound when re-shelled, so I wouldn't necessarily say it's pointless. 

Don't be silly; an X10 doesn't have 'horrible build quality'... yes, it's not exactly amazing for a high-end item, but it's not bad, and the only real issue with the build is with the cable. If not a simple re-termination, a recable would solve most of the OP's problems.

I never said that reshelling wouldn't improve the sound, but sound improvement isn't a guarantee.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
Don't be silly; an X10 doesn't have 'horrible build quality'... yes, it's not exactly amazing for a high-end item, but it's not bad, and the only real issue with the build is with the cable. If not a simple re-termination, a recable would solve most of the OP's problems.

I never said that reshelling wouldn't improve the sound, but sound improvement isn't a guarantee.

Well, there has been many reports on the strain relief breaking and all, and many users have reported having to send for warranty every now and then, so something like that shouldn't be overlooked.

Yes, the sound improvement isn't a gurantee, but hey, we already have lab rats for the X10 :wink:

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #18 of 22
Unfortunately after quite a few coats of liquid tape on the X10i's I've lost sound in one ear. I need to get the jack connector replaced, and would be grateful If someone could suggest a suitable repair shop in the UK.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 22
Update, almost one year to the day after last posting.

I was not able to get my Klipsch X10i with the frayed jack plug repaired, due to the cable being so thin and fragile.  I therefore sold the headphones as spares or repair on eBay and, because I liked the Klipsch sound so much, purchased another pair of Klipsch X10s (not X10is) from a forum member here.

Unfortunately, it seems that buying another pair of Klipsch was a bad idea; the build quality is truly awful, because my Klipsch X10s have now broken, this time due (i) the black part of the earbud coming away from the gold bit (which I managed to resolve with a glue repair); and (ii) the cord fraying near one of the earbuds (which I suspect cannot be repaired).

Here are some pictures of the damage:

I've lost sound in the damaged earbud.

Most annoyingly, I have no recourse or prospect that Klipsch will repair these headphones free of charge.

I will not be making the mistake of buying Klipsch for a third time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back